A different way to approach hunger.

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by DJFlare84, Nov 20, 2014.

1. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

With all the talk about Hunger lately (what with it being removed and then Chucklefish considering putting it back IN the game), I thought I'd give my 2 cents on how it ought to be changed if and when brought back. This suggestion will knock out 2 birds with one stone. That first bird being to give the player more reason to eat other than simply to avoid that alarming hunger noise, and that second bird to give the player a reliable source of healing.

We could call it the "Well-Fed" buff, since the devs seem to like that term.

How this works is simple.

Being full will grant the player the Well-Fed buff, which rapidly regenerates the player's HP and will last until the player's hunger drops below a certain threshold. This threshold is dependant on the difficulty setting.

CASUAL - Always well-fed. No hunger bar. Only drop pixels on death.
    EASY - 25%. Only drop pixels on death.
    NORMAL - 50%. Drop ores on death.
    HARD - 75%. DIE AND STAY DEAD.

If you fall below the threshold, you can only regain the Well Fed buff by eating until you are FULL again.

Now, the regeneration offered by WELL-FED will PAUSE when your character engages combat, and will only resume when you get "out" of combat. Furthermore, the amount regeneration per-second is dependant on what your character is doing.

Moving - 5%hp per second.
    Standing Still - 10%hp per second.
    In a bed - 20%hp per second.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  2. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

UPDATE: Well-Fed buff regeneration pauses when in combat, and resumes when "out" of combat.

Regeneration amount reduced to 5% per second, but can be raised by either standing perfectly still for a while (10%), or sleeping in a bed (20%).

Once you have lost the Well-Fed buff, you must eat until you are COMPLETELY full to regain it.