9th June Progress

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

even all the cosmetic stuff you hate?

2. Disco2

Disco2 Existential Complex

Nice work on adding more attack kinds, keep up the great work.

3. Ado

Ado Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Well,that sure looks fancy!

4. jonathonspy

jonathonspy Existential Complex

do you think the red one could be exploited for infinite building materials

5. Ssj782

Ssj782 Cosmic Narwhal

Not all of it, I just like armor sets in most games that allow you to costume. I've gotten hats (stupid numbers of them), wings (i wear the demon wings), but the vendors that sell "generic color shirt/pants" never interested me.

6. DirkLarien

DirkLarien Void-Bound Voyager

It looks awesome :)
    they feel lot more... how to put it.... alive ...
    Thanks for update

7. nours77

nours77 Sandwich Man

Can you add monsters pathfinding tactics, surrounded, prevent jumping,...

8. GewaltSam

GewaltSam Big Damn Hero

Haven't read a lot in the forums so far, but is it possible that a LOT of monster parts are still missing? I know virtually all of the monsters in that gifs from my own playtime, and I've seen them often, like most of you have. If you watch the old "random monster friday" posts, you'll see that there are crazy amounts of monsters missing, and when I'm reading that every unique monster part should get it's own attack, then, oh boy, chucklefish is up for a looong task.... I really hope they haven't abandoned the huge variety, or I would be very disappointed.

http://starbounder.org/Random_Monster_Friday

(and, to be honest, I thought that would just be the tip of the iceberg; even if there are all parts shown in the random monster fridays, I still didn't see lots of them ingame. Gets a bit boring after a while)

9. Gettornado

Gettornado Void-Bound Voyager

Starbound 3D?

10. Esahc_

Esahc_ Cosmic Narwhal

I wouldn't say it is "starbound 3D." No Man's Sky, from what was shown in the trailer, looks more like a first person, sci-fi, combat based, exploration game. Starbound is a 2D scifi, sandbox, side scroller. I honestly don't like it when people see a new game that looks like another game and immediatly think the new game is a copy of the older game.
    No Man's Sky looks interesting. I hope it doesn't fall through.

11. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Please discuss that in the appropriate thread, instead of piggybacking an off-topic discussion here.

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/starbound-3d-i-found-a-cool-indie-game.80208/

12. Jabberwok

Jabberwok Phantasmal Quasar

I've seen a lot of new ranged attacks which is good, but I'm wondering how frequent monsters are going to be ranged versus melee. It would be nice to also see a lot of uniqe melee attacks, though perhaps those are more difficult to come up with. Maybe things like charges, pounces, ground-pounding, or even swallowing players and trying to digest them? It aso strains my sense of believability that so many monsters could do things like shoot lasers from their mouths.

I would love to see some dangerous plants, as well! Or smaller animals that can climb walls and ceilings.

NovastarX and Newport like this.
  13. Newport

Newport Master Chief

Agreed, it's already pretty silly that virtually no monster seems to fit its environment.

14. NovastarX

NovastarX Big Damn Hero

Yeah, there are some projectiles already in the game that do this (a rock projectile that makes sand), and an item that can make ice blocks. I was looking at the projectile list while modding and ran into a sand-rock-shooting monster on my first planet after the new build.

15. NovastarX

NovastarX Big Damn Hero

I'm sure they're all stashed away somewhere waiting for newer environment-matching spawning systems. I remember seeing a mechanical biped monster type and variations on the penguins and a lizard that has yet to be seen. It appears that all monsters just scale with level, but none of the parts match on a per-level basis yet; or none that I've seen while looking at the code. In the *.monstertype files, there's an "_organic" distinction for some of the parts so I assume that they've made other types of parts for the same "builds" of monsters like organic and mechanical bipeds, etc. but just haven't slid them into the game yet. Like the larger flying monsters shown on all the way back on March 28! X3

But (for people saying the monsters are out of place in the snowy environment), on May 21, Kyren said she was finalizing the new monster spawning logic including "Spawning Profiles". So I'm sure if there's not going to be biome-specific monster parts (yet), at least there's going to be specific monsters to go to specific biomes. But since there are attacks that go for specific parts, I'm sure that detail will work itself out! If not, there's a bulky workaround way to do things! :geek:

Also, I realize I know waaaay too much about monster generation, but that's only because I plan on making my own!.. in secret... for a larger mod... all by myself. :blank:

16. NovastarX

NovastarX Big Damn Hero

There's a monster profile in the game but apparently has no spawn parameters called an "Allergen" that qualifies as a dangerous plant, and Tiy said at one point that he would like to have monsters crawl on walls and ceilings! :DD I'm sure that with the new spawning profile system being set up, at least one thing will be put into place. And since the Allergen is a turret-type plant creature, I'm sure it can be modded and copied to make a variety of new dangerous plants! And the "Adult Pottop" posted on May 30 looks promising! I'm sure it has a few new melee moves to it.

I for one would love to see some of the bipeds use weapons. :viking: I suppose someone could pop an an axial arm onto some of the monster parts to allow that. Though there's something horrifying to be said about a tiny biped monster with a sword and a machine gun. :lolwut:

17. Jabberwok

Jabberwok Phantasmal Quasar

Yeah, that would be cool, and perhaps more believable, as long as it wasn't overly common. I can see some native species as using low-tech weapons like spears or bows. On the other hand, I'm morbidly curious to see a bird-type enemy who carries a rocket launcher....

NovastarX likes this.
  18. NovastarX

NovastarX Big Damn Hero

Yeah, I was thinking rudimentary weapons for lower level creatures as well. :p

But for higher-grade non-organic creatures that will be added later, I'm sure some type of weapon spawning system would (or at least could be modded) into place. Once the new update happens, I want to look into it! :fusrodah:

19. AsmodeanMage

AsmodeanMage Void-Bound Voyager

Hey just wanted to give a shout out to Metadept and any other diligent coders working on these incredible new behaviors, this is going to bring on some real immersion.

Also, creatures need to be able to jump at different tiers. Its very strange to the eye and brain for these odd creatures all leaping into the air at full excursion, every time.. Please address this for ultimate immersion factor. Thanks so much again

20. marklle013

marklle013 Void-Bound Voyager

I would love to see armoured enemies that can only be injured with piercing weapons or something above a certain Tier, So if you venture too far and you don't have the right equipment you will have to run! instead of having one main weapon you would have to swap between (piercing / silver etc ) depending on the monster you are fighting for a damage bonus! Would definitely keep the player on his/her toes.

Maybe even only be damaged by certain plasma based guns too :)

Something else id love to see would be dungeon bosses! That have vulnerable areas that can only be damaged at certain times, like this guy when he opens his mouth. And of course a hefty reward when you kill them. I haven't been this excited about a 2D platform game since super metroid :)

285889-super-metroid-snes-screenshot-another-boss-fight-push-him.png

GLARE, Kawa and Tamorr like this.