22nd May - Pod chests!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, May 22, 2015.

1. mollygos submitted a new blog post:

22nd May - Pod chests!

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. raptorscream

raptorscream Void-Bound Voyager

are these implemented as soon as a blog posts are, or whenever a big patch for stable?

3. Greenfinger

Greenfinger Scruffy Nerf-Herder

4. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

I never expected any of this! :O
    Good job guys! I like it!

Will we still be able to find wooden chests though? Or will we be able to craft them?

Robotoh, FloomRide, Hamty and 5 others like this.
  5. I believe they are updated almost right away on the nightly, and in some cases the unstable. But when they make it to stable -- you'll see a patch notes type of blog post.

I am super pumped for this. I like that everything is coming together thematically. Really gives Starbound a feeling of real ownership of it's genre.

6. Greenfinger

Greenfinger Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i guess there will be wooden chests in Glitch villages, idk :casper:[DOUBLEPOST=1432313553][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Yup! I bet this update will be game-changing ;)

7. BloodyRain2k

BloodyRain2k Pangalactic Porcupine

In some cases would wooden chests make sense, like on low tech planets, but yes, finding a plasma rifle in a wooden chest is a bit anticlimatic :rofl:

But with smart pooling it'd be nice, though it could easily make wooden chests often have no good loot, so blegh, just have a pool of chests containing pools of loot? Game design is hard... And I'm just playing it.

8. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

That was unnecessary
    Why not use both instead of replacing them

Good job on the ohter things

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  9. Unclever title

Unclever title Cosmic Narwhal

These all sound super promising!

10. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Veeehiiicleees...

11. kreekgod

kreekgod Phantasmal Quasar

there should be a way to make/buy all these things

infact with the soon to be added ability to sell things

there should be additions of merchants to sell things like ores, and upgrade components and such

you know, to make something like say, farming a viable progression path, for people who hate having to go out mining all the time

all that said, i like what im seeing sofar

12. user2345562

user2345562 Guest

I love how the new chests look :3

Greenfinger likes this.
  13. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Big happenings in the nightly. They are hammering away at the Avian mission and the Challenge Rooms, which is giving us amazing items and tech.
    • Quiqksilver's first TIled-made challenge room is on the Nightly, as he gains proficiency in it.
    • New tech!! You like pulse jump? Get ready to jump 4 times in midair with Flying Jump!
    • Take flight with style with tons of new cosmetic wings! Pictures and names on page 2 here or on imgur.
    • Traps galore! Ice Trap that slows you, Power Trap increases your damage, Speed Trap makes you faster. All in different designs (mostly avian and ancient)
    • New horizontal trap door, in the ancient design of the Ark!
    • The 2nd boulder trap from yesterday is in as "ancientbouldertrap" (the avian one is just "bouldertrap".
    • It seems Terrifying Wings have been renamed Demon Wings. (or 2nd item added with sort of the same look)
    You can see the names and code changes in Kawa's nightly diff, and as the items get added to the wiki they will be in the nightly changelog there.

Edit: You can see all the new traps, trapdoor, and wings in quiqksilver's nightly video here.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  14. laz2727

laz2727 Phantasmal Quasar

Looks like just another thing to grind tbh.

15. Treldent-02

Treldent-02 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is one step in the pin-point right direction, really looking forward to see how upgrading and autodrives work, especially.

16. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Hmm... Hopefully this means efforts to make the game less miney-grindey and more explorey are well underway. Soon, I hope to be able to pass the early game spending smashing ore piles and hunting chests than chipping away at the surrounding planet's rock/flesh/plantmatterstone for ore.

shannyxvx likes this.
  17. Supernorn

Supernorn Starbound Artist and Parallax Pixel Pusher Chucklefish

Not really, that's a very short sighted way of looking at some positive changes.

You can still find regular tech drives in the world and also receive them as quest rewards etc. This just allows you to craft them yourself through regular exploration.

Changing the manipulator upgrade requirements from ever increasing tiered ores to an item you can find in the world at every tier is also a better change.

You'll still be able to find the wooden chests in certain biomes, for those who were asking.

18. Doctor Devil

Doctor Devil Big Damn Hero

Was just thinking of making a mod letting people use tech cards to upgrade weapons and armors... guess you thought about that too today :p Oh well - guess I'm gonna have to find a different way to become remembered by the community. Curse you Chucklefish! :rip:

19. Infirito

Infirito Void-Bound Voyager

That's great, but what about tech skills? Is it still hard-locked by tiers or are we back to an old system where they could be found in chests as well?

20. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Nibolas O Anelbozas Spaceman Spiff

I like how the game is advancing! it's just amazing

Axe Garian likes this.