8th June - Garden critters!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jun 8, 2015.

1. GrayRains79

GrayRains79 Orbital Explorer

Definitely love both of these items. Hopefully grass and even vines will grow and spread like what happened in Terraria.

2. BlackValkyrie9

BlackValkyrie9 Void-Bound Voyager

I hope these new critters are catchable with the Bug Net...
    When I play Terraria, I absolutely MUST catch every mouse and snail I see...

Varixai likes this.
  3. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

How can we plant new grass?

And where's my lighter?

4. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

This just in from Tiy's twitter

[​IMG]

Tamorr, Kawa, Boufman and 6 others like this.
  5. Akogishi

Akogishi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have never been so excited about grass before in my life!

6. PabloM

PabloM Pangalactic Porcupine

Are these at all related to the "Cultist" NPCs that used to be around...?

Relten likes this.
  7. Wall of Knowledge

Wall of Knowledge Cosmic Narwhal

After you finish fixing the accidental rocket birds, you should make literal rocket-birds to compliment the existing propeller-fish.

DragonsForce and Mackinz like this.
  8. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Yes, they seem to be connected in some way. There is a new armored cultist that has a tentacle eye and tentacles that go around the chest on out the back:

[​IMG]

These cultists definitely seem tied to the lore of the tentacle monsters. Maybe they worship them?

The Caretaker set I showed actually has a back piece that hasn't been given art yet. Want to guess the placeholder images for the back and some of the other pieces that are only half finished? That same armored cultist set...

Edit: Check out the icon similarity between the Caretaker Hood and the Armored Cultist Head:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    tomatelopes and Relten like this.
  9. DragonsForce and Relten like this.
  10. Moonpony

Moonpony Void-Bound Voyager

YAY GRASS. Oh my word, I've never been so excited about grass in my life. Heehee. Thank you, devs.

...I'm probably experiencing a huge derp moment, but a) Are the grass seeds now in the current nightly build, and b) If yes, where does one find them?

Feathery Quink likes this.
  11. New monsters and little aesthetic details like these are my favorite blog updates. More ambiance is always welcome! I do look forward to seeing what other small life forms will add life to biomes/planets.

Ah, and the snow is a welcome addition as well! It's logical, and looks great!

12. Feathery Quink

Feathery Quink Title Not Found

I need dis...
    Those birds gotta lose the caffeine. I also find them too Earthlike. Scaly, 4 winged, miniature monkeys plz!
    Otherwise, absolutely flippin' fabulous.

Relten likes this.
  13. Varixai

And when vehicles are truly implemented, there should be a few crazy birds flying low and fast in front of you.

No, but they will be in the Nightly in about 8 hours. They work on things and post about them on the same day, then it gets pushed to the next Nightly build that night.

As for where to find them.. well since it is the very first build after they have made them, you will probably have to spawn them. Unpack the assets to see their item name. Otherwise, give them a few days to keep working on them and giving us places to get them.

(And look for my update post on the next blog, I will say how to get them when I see them in tonight's Nightly.)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    tomatelopes and Relten like this.
  14. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

...wow that water looks nice. How new is that?

Relten likes this.
  15. Moonpony

Moonpony Void-Bound Voyager

Ohhh, I gotcha. Timezone shenanigans! I just misunderstood, that's all. Thanks so much for the reply!

I agree with Dragonith, I love these updates. Ambiance and little details fill me with glee. Of course, so does the rest of Starbound, so hey. <3

Boufman likes this.
  16. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Ah, so it's a thrownitem that applies a matmod on impact. Cool. I was expecting some sort of farmable tomfoolery, but this is surprisingly cool. Should get a different look, though.

Also, please focus on fixing the economy before you make anymore additions to the economy, devs! A metric ton of Wheat costs ~$270 while a metric ton of Copper costs ~$6700 right now, yet Copper is worth only slightly more than Wheat in Starbound even though Wheat is exponentially easier to gather en masse than Copper. Please fix these discrepancies. I know you would like to implement farming progression, but all you've done is make farming the most lucrative way to obtain Pixels in-game with no logic behind it.

DragonsForce and Relten like this.
  17. Varixai

No problem. I just edited my post to add: Look for my update post on the next blog, I will say how to get them when I see them in tonight's Nightly.

Yea, the selling prices on farmables and materials is pretty crazy right now.

They reduced the prices on turning materials into pixels at the refinery, yet you can plant a little bit and become an overnight millionaire. Same with just unleashing your matter manipulator for a few minutes and selling the materials you suck up.

That said, other than farmables and materials the economy is looking pretty good and getting a ton of work done to it.

18. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

My phone derped and posted for me before I was done (fixed now) but I know what you mean, @Varixai. They really need to add a subunit to the Pixel. At this point, it's like having dollars with no cents and it makes no sense either. Apparently, they want to reward people for putting out no effort? Jeez. I think whomever is deciding on these arbitrary values hasn't taken a basic economics class, and that's not trying to be insulting because I do appreciate the work they are doing for the game.

19. glasspug

glasspug Phantasmal Quasar

The new animals are like the lame Pokémon that no one wants to catch.:poke: You know the ones.

20. Another Kevin

Another Kevin Phantasmal Quasar

uuuh, that female pose :lickitung: