7th of August, 2014: Blog of Dev

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by GeorgeV, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Speed Lightning

Speed Lightning Phantasmal Quasar

I have seen interesting discussion regarding the ores and bars not in the picture - mainly copper, silver, gold, and platinum. Considering that the ores and bars in the picture are only the various metals used for weapons and armor as well as fuel types, I can make two assumptions. The first is that prisilium will be included with the other "equipment metals", and considering its name, will in fact be a jack-of-all-trades type. The second assumption is that copper, silver, gold, and platinum are not being removed from the game, as those are used more for tools than equipment.

On a side note, platinum may require a slight color change due to it looking similar to silver.

Will Liferider likes this.
  2. blackshadow2000

blackshadow2000 Void-Bound Voyager

wait so you're saying that the colour of titanium is 'dad ate edd' and the colour of steel is 'a police siren (EE, NINE, EE, NINE...)'?

this game just became 12,482 times better!

:lickitung::party:

Kawa likes this.
  3. blackshadow2000

someone, give this guy a medal!

4. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

They could make platinum slightly bluer. o:

Speed Lightning likes this.
  5. O Syrius O

O Syrius O Scruffy Nerf-Herder

And of course the best ore is the rainbow-colored one.
    Because the rainbow is power, the rainbow is life, the rainbow is love.
    Embrace the rainbow, and taste it. Two times.

6. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

George posted this in another topic
    its a more updated look on the ores
    [​IMG]

this too

Bonabopn likes this.
  7. xnez

xnez Subatomic Cosmonaut

all the new sprites look great, but i fear that the elements are way too easy to craft later in the game, being just a combo of a previous tier element with a fuel to get the next big thing, and this may become linear. perhaps make tools and armour cost more than just the element of the tier to be produced and maybe include other parts? rare drops/boss,mob drops?

8. Bonabopn

I think that the top-tier armours/tools should need electronics and stuff c:
    Having them made of just metal seems a bit disappointing.

Thundercraft likes this.
  9. Thundercraft

Thundercraft Phantasmal Quasar

If the devs are really interested in making the metals and alloys more tiered and adding more progression to the tools (and making the progression more sensible), they could at least get some ideas from reading this post I made in the "Mining is tedious" thread. I put a lot of thought into how they could balance the use of current metals and alloys, making them more tiered, without the downright silly use of metals like silver and gold for digging tools.

But I did not advocate eliminating the precious metals altogether. Rather, I said:
    Even if they are uninterested in my tool progression tiers, I think they should at least consider adding a shovel. There should be a simple tool specifically for making dirt digging faster, while being totally impractical to dig through rocks. Likewise, picks should not be able to dig through dirt as fast as a shovel. There should be more incentive to upgrade (at least) to drills, rather than procrastinate.

Aha! This is why I voted against the idea of releasing Nightly builds. It can be used as an excuse to explain why neither Stable nor Unstable has been updated in months. You can advocate the broken Nightly builds all you want. But some of us are restricted to slow Internet speeds. And we can't use our beloved Starbound mods on Nightly, nevermind ignoring all the bugs and such. Meanwhile, the longer most players have to wait until the next Unstable/Stable, the more they grumble and complain.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  10. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

This part is irrelevant, as there is no such thing as duranium in this game.
    The word you are looking for is durasteel.

11. Will Liferider

Will Liferider Ketchup Robot

I would like to suggest a change to make silver and platinum not look so similar please. It's annoying trying to decipher the difference between a common metal and a pretty valuable ore without mining it.

Also can we make ores spawn in veins as opposed to random peppering of minerals?

12. fidgetwidget

fidgetwidget Subatomic Cosmonaut

I do wish they would follow through on some of the things they have said they would do before adding new stuff they didn't say anything about though...
    That aside, the progress they are making in the nightly builds is fun to watch. I really wish there was some more purpose to it all... though the addition of the gate seems to be a good step in that direction :)

13. Mippy

Mippy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It's Beta, mate. I don't see why I should enable Beta for a Beta. Wont play until they fix this crap

14. Bonabopn

Your loss. :3

Rainbow Dash and Kawa like this.
  15. NovastarX

NovastarX Big Damn Hero

Neat! I'm glad the appearance of the ores are undergoing changes! But I've gotta get in my two cents too! As far as the ores go, I kind of expected Rubium to be an ingot or a rough, veined shape instead of a gem, considering its furniture set (and the ore shape to be what Violium's is). And for Violium, I thought it would just be its adjusted furniture crystal shape, or the refined Cerulium shape. And I'd consider Impervium to be a black sphere considering the sleek nature of its furniture tier. And maybe swap Ferozium with Aegisalt for furniture look reasons too!

But other than that, I like the way things are shaping up! Maybe image search more ores and gems and try to make these better fit the visual properties of their respective materials.

16. Flagdread

Flagdread Big Damn Hero

oh that looks much better!

17. blackshadow2000

the third violium ore from the right looks like a tennis ball...

...i love it!

18. MikoLightning

MikoLightning Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hmm, I don't like the gold and platinum ingots. They are too big. Everything else looks alright to me tho. Cooper, silver look perfect. I hope they will re-size gold and platinum to silver and cooper size of icons.

General Nuclear likes this.
  19. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

i havet read all the ohter replys
    but here is something i think need to be mentioned

. like in real life copper need to be uset in everything electronic
    . like in real life gold need to be uset in space suits to protect them form radioactive rays from the sun,
    the yellow mirror screen on space suits you in pictures is made of gold
    . i real life you can't put diamonds in furnace to cut them they just burn up because they are made out of the same thing coal is made of carbon
    .uranium has a dark gary color in real life

Thundercraft likes this.
  20. Disco2

Disco2 Existential Complex

Looks nice, good job!