6 June, admin commands

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Jun 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

Something admins need to track players would be a ...

/track <player ID> ( toggle on/off ) tracking that shifts the camera to that of the target player.
    /goto <player ID> warps to target player position.
    /bringme <player ID> brings the target player to your location
    /nukebag <player ID> removes players inventory items
    /nukehead <player ID> removes players currently equipped items and armor.

And the already mentioned ones that I like are...

/protect region (set borders) for protecting structures from block editing. Perhaps you all could enlist the help of the Tshock team....
    /protect planet <coordinates> for protecting an entire planet from editing.
    /players - for listing all players on the server.
    /mute <player ID> for those text spammers.
    /weather <type> to cause a weather event
    /weather <start/stop> to start or stop weather event.
    /diglet - removes blocks on mouse cursor continuously until disabled. Every press of shift increases it by 1 so 2x2 3x3. Each press of control decreases by 1.

And the obvious overlooked ones...

/unban <player ID> well duh.
    /givescarf <player ID> to give admin command rights to target player.
    /takescarf <player ID> to remove admin command rights to target player

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  2. prodamn

prodamn Spaceman Spiff

gosh... some words in orange is k, but a whole text, dude. that hurts. @SivCorp

The | Suit likes this.
  3. SivCorp

Sorry, was in my RP mode....

- rebooting - ...

Aaaaaaaaaaand we're back!

4. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

I am absolutely against any method in which the admin can force remove items from a player.
    This has a huge potential for abuse.

At most the admin should have is view inventory of player.
    /viewinv playername

The Admin can then look at the players gear, and determine if the player should be banned or not.

Akado, Ignify and Thundercraft like this.
  5. prodamn

prodamn Spaceman Spiff

would this even be necessary in any case ?.. i don't see when it should be necessary to wipe a player's inv.

i mean ok, if a player steals items from someone he could take it out, but that's usually not necessary.

my method in such a case would be, politely ask to give it back, if not get harsh, still no giving back or player logs out - ban!
    How and If the player gets the items refunded is up to the server's admin.

Ignify and Thundercraft like this.
  6. Underbalanced

Underbalanced Phantasmal Quasar

I disagree though. That is why you pick your admins wisely.

I will be adding filtering so that not all commands can be used by players within the wrapper.

I would love a take item command. This way i can add more functionality to the wrapper. Such as banking, lotteries ect.

7. The | Suit

One of the most common things in starbound multiplayer is hacked items which provide imbalance to the game.
    There is no real way to prove stealing, but to see the legitimacy of an item on the other hand is the actual reason to see a players inventory.

The downside of course you still won't be able to see all of the modified files such as tech code and particle code.

8. HoodieNinja_7

HoodieNinja_7 Pangalactic Porcupine

How about /tp (targetplayer) (destination player/planet) and /heal (if blank, self, if followed by playername, heal specified player), which could also restore food and remove negative status conditions.
    /checkmods (player) could also be useful in cases where cheating is suspected.

9. HoodieNinja_7

I have been on servers for varied games where admins have been the owner's trusted friends or had been on the server for years, and then have gone on banning/muting sprees, world nuking, massive adminhax trolling sessions, etcetera. THAT, my friend, is why inventory nuking is a bad idea. Also, some of us have one character for both singleplayer and multiplayer, so an inventory nuke would be disastrous for both modes. /viewinv is understandable and something many admin would love. /nukeinv is not acceptable in any way, unless it was for the use of an individual player only on their own inventory and had something such as /undo incase of an accident. I have moderated a Minecraft server running a plugin that allowed for inventory deletion and it was the worst mistake that the owner had made, as a fellow mod decided to wipe someone's inventory simply because he didn't like him. The player was absolutely devastated.

Boshed, Ignify, Thundercraft and 2 others like this.
  10. poster55

poster55 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Perhaps some sort of unlimited resources/creative mode would be useful? Having to type out 'spawn' blah blah blah even if it's a short line could become tedious for an admin trying to quickly build up a story driven structure. I know this isn't meant to be 'director mode' yet, but it'd be a nice compromise while we wait.

Corverean likes this.
  11. prodamn

prodamn Spaceman Spiff

i didn't think about that, but that would be something, *points at chucklefish* gotta fix, i don't play MP nor would i be up to host a server and fight with all the stuff coming along with it, i can only imagine.
    On the other hand, i know what admins on servers have to deal with, i have been part in several staff teams on servers before.

but then, modded/hacked items on servers are fun, if you get tired of vanilla swap to modded. With completely banned items on a server (due to restrictions of chucklefish to prevent players hacking items) you can forget to play with any mod MP.
    well, MP needs a whole lot of improvement!

And just for the heck of it: IMMA STARSHIP CAPTAIN! :yeahhhh: penguins following me around, no clue what's up with that. I seem to be some kind of penguin daddy. #DealWithIt! :cool:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  12. HoodieNinja_7

Easy there, Dreadwing.

prodamn likes this.
  13. prodamn

prodamn Spaceman Spiff

got a problem with that, huh ?.. mhm thought so! ;) :D

14. HoodieNinja_7

What makes you assume that? :badpokerface:

15. The | Suit

This is an English only forum.
    You might feel more comfortable on a Spanish Starbound Community site
    http://starbound.es/

16. Paradox Effect

Paradox Effect Master Chief

There is already the ability to teleport if you Are in a party, an additionally command would break that system. However if it's only admin and fairly limited it may not be abused.

17. SivCorp

That only works in a party, which means trouble makers would simply stay out of party while wrecking havoc.

Yeah, maybe just a /viewinv command to check for contraband, then use of bans would be sufficient.
    Can't assume people to be mature, now can we?

18. The | Suit

The probability of finding a mature person every time
    Is something even the Heart of Gold couldn't could find even with deep thought's help.

Thundercraft and Ramones_fan like this.
  19. Ignify

Ignify Phantasmal Quasar

And this is also why you pick servers carefully; a take item command would be dreadful. People work hard to make cool, custom items where someone could just take a copy themselves, which is the same as stealing. I have also witnessed many instances of good admins doing stupid things, so anything that allows them direct modification of player files would be unsatisfactory.

Thundercraft likes this.
  20. k0no

k0no Scruffy Nerf-Herder

being able to move players to each other's location is really key to a good multiplayer experience, especially if some are joining part-way through a game.

teleport <player1><player2> should move player1 to player2's location, in a similar fashion to the ship teleporter, cross-planet rather than just limited to one planet.

this is a sorely needed function and was the most-used command when i hosted minecraft servers (by a long shot).

other options, being able to set the time of day?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.