6 June, admin commands

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Jun 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GammaNu

GammaNu Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If you want understand the magic behind reproductible random, you should get a look about seed and pseudo-random generator.

Basicly, you get a true random number. you save it as seed, and then all pseudo-random number you want will be deterministicly calculated from your seed, but the generation algorythm is enouth unlinear to look like random. as an effect, you pick a random number (planet position in universe for starbound) as seed, and with it you can re-generate the entire planet map, and it will look random but be the same each time. (you just need the same seed to have the same result)

2. Ramones_fan

Ramones_fan Pangalactic Porcupine

and the same generation algorythm, add even a single new biome and it tweaks everything. hence the fact that it depends on the version.
    also windows, linux and Apple all use separate RNG algolrythms

if you wanted it more random there are ways to do it, add the time variable into it and you guarantee almost never getting the same world twice, however that isn't how CF did it.

3. beari78

beari78 Guest

Sham-pan-ya.

4. Ashen

Ashen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

What about a command to give players admin rights? or take them away?

/givescarf <player name>
    /takescarf <player name>

Jonesy likes this.
  5. Ps2004

Ps2004 Space Spelunker

What about cmds to

- Be invisible ?
    - Stalk player (while invisible your char will follow every move and can check any weird behaviour) ?
    - Copy or view inventory from player ?
    - Freeze the game ? Noone can move or get damage, kinda like a Pause button ?

Some things might already be possible, no idea, didn't log for a wile, but I know this stuff misses in terraria, and probably could find some use here too

6. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

This.

7. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

Looks good so far... Maybe add a God Mode command for the admins?

8. Archer

Archer Spaceman Spiff

This can and will be abused by jerks to ruin characters from other players, as inventories are client-sided.

A better way is just to IP ban the person, there's no meaningful amount of harm you can do to a griefer anyway; most of them probably know very well how to get their cheated items back again with ease.

Snowcheeks and The | Suit like this.
  9. Thundercraft

Thundercraft Phantasmal Quasar

:cool::up: This! :up::cool:

From the comments (and reading how the universe gets created from seed numbers), it sounds like It shouldn't be too difficult to implement. And I could definitely see how players may kill off NPCs, mine the heck out of a nice planet or blow chucks of it up with various weapons, where this command would be very handy.

Heck, I've seen how fast the wildlife and birds kill off Avian pirates and other NPCs.

10. dyme

dyme Orbital Explorer

In my opinion It'd be interesting for us to have a save command. Grants extra security in case of any server crash, so the admin can be absolutely sure he has the server safe and sound!

11. Brockway

Brockway Pangalactic Porcupine

12. flyinpancake

flyinpancake Pangalactic Porcupine

This is making my day and tomorrow. Week. Month. Certainly a high point.

13. rcas

rcas Master Chief

LIKE:up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::lickitung:

14. Ramones_fan

Ramones_fan Pangalactic Porcupine

lots of good ideas here.

15. Dallx

Dallx Aquatic Astronaut

when? WHEN??? WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN????!!!!!

16. ucantketchup2me

ucantketchup2me Aquatic Astronaut

so will u pls make multiplayer easey like minecraft pls thanks :) devs and pls make these commands be available in a reg char world pls :) that would make my day :)

17. WatcherCCG

WatcherCCG Giant Laser Beams

A command to set the weather on a planet would be nice.

18. WuffyWolffoot

WuffyWolffoot Void-Bound Voyager

Obvious missing commands;

/weather (view planet's possible weather)
    /setweather <duration> <weather type> (sets duration of certain weather on planet, put 0 for infinite weather goodness)
    /setlightlevel <duration> <level> (sets duration of light level for planet, put 0 for infinite duration)

19. WizTech

WizTech Poptop Tamer

When are you going to add all these new features?

20. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Technically, they already did. Well, not the various commands we users have been throwing at them, but the ones they listed. And maybe some more cos it's a "non-exhaustive" list.

I think what you meant to ask is when we get to use these new features. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.