Dev Blog 5th May - Ursa Miner

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, May 5, 2016.

1. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

Ok, that seem just silly to me. Checked the wikia page and they get better with the good effects when you are at the point of the game where you don't really need them? A new player quickly learn during the first two planets that those thing aren't worth using whatsoever because the cons outweigh the pros and most likely never use them ever again. If I knew they actually become worth using later I would well...Actually use them! Seem backwards though, shouldn't the risk become higher when you should be prepared for it and be newbie friendly on the early planets? Whoever designed them didn't plan ahead did they?

[​IMG] Well all of these puns are unbearable but I am going more bearserk over what I just learn about the status pods.

2. Phantaeon

Phantaeon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sometimes I wish they combined a few weapon specials. Like the Spear's Blade Whirl + Rocket Spear.

3. DinoDisaster

DinoDisaster Void-Bound Voyager

Magic makes perfect sense.
    Magic is often used to explain, that which is beyond ones understanding, I do not claim to understand the technologies involved in interstellar flight, matter transference (teleport), nor most of the 'technologies' which would be involved in adventures, like those of Starbound; therefore one could reason that it must be magic.
    // I understand many of the theories we have in regards too the aforementioned subjects, but we (humans), haven't claimed such understanding of physics as of yet. //
    I actually would like to refer to a movie, which actually has a fun explanation of magic.
    - The Sorcerers Apprentice, where Cage explains magic, as an individuals ability to influence atoms. As in, not creating fire from nothing, but from ones ability to accelerate the the vibration of atoms, which then creates the fire.

4. Gnardak

Gnardak Void-Bound Voyager

It'd be great for have hirable bear crew. Follow you around and mines any ore that it sees for a cut.

I'd settle for having some actual lore about the origins of space bears though. Also for frog merchants and the other secondary races. Some explanation for them being there beyond "We thought of a pun so decided to add them,"* would be nice.

*The lore could contain even more puns. That's a given.

5. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

I like to think Starbound is so high tech they may as well be magic to us people who live in a time where we still lack flying cars as a natural common source of transportation. The only major difference is that the adventures on Starbound care about style and fashion as well. Did that staff really need to summon flying swords, wouldn't just having giant spheres work just as well? Most likely not but it does look cooler.

Honestly we can do stuff now that over 2000 years ago would seem biblical. We can cure otherwise incurable diseases, we could give someone who is literally blind his sight back, we can turn water into wine (flavor packs yo) and I am pretty sure if we really wanted to we could trick people that we can walk on water, Hell Criss Angel did exactly that and other things just for the sake of entertainment.

I can't believe people are complaining about "magic" on Starbound. Isn't it a good thing that technology is so advance and fun that it go beyond even your own imagination and logic? That sound like a fun world to me and I would hate for it to get taken away because people basically complaining "it is too fun! I want it to be more boring and more within my realm of understanding!" at which point I would have to question how far in the future Starbound was meant to represent. Far enough where humans know of multiple races but also where everyone grew a stick up their ass? I'm not sure what people were expecting Starbound to be, Star Trek but with more races that furries would approve of maybe?

6. Colonel O'Neill

Colonel O'Neill Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Those bears are so cute.

7. NeoFoxx000

NeoFoxx000 Phantasmal Quasar

Replaced the ore merchant... the bear is wearing the same hat and uniform as the original human NPC. Hmm... until I'm told otherwise, my head-canon is that the bear ate the human, took their identity, and because of the comings and goings of the outpost, the outpost inhabitants are none the wiser. Natural 20 on a perfect disguise. "No one will ever know!"

Joking aside, they look adorable! :D

I know this may sound strange, but would this inevitably lead to an NPC-only race of sentient space bears with micro dungeon towns themed after the mining towns during the 1849 US gold rush? >_>;

RenaldiForumStar likes this.
  8. Proydoha

Proydoha Phantasmal Quasar

I don't understand what are you talking about. It's not magic staves. Look at those patterns. It's obviously guns dismantled from various vehicles from bullet hell games.

Jareix Cryvix and Kawa like this.
  9. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Probably the same tech that the miniknog hologram uses... ;)

Kawa likes this.
  10. Kennethern

Kennethern Phantasmal Quasar

Bear with me here, but what's with people consistently complaining about magic in Starbound? Not only has it almost always been in the game, but if you don't like it, you can always use the Bear essentials. Not only will you not have to use it, but if you don't enjoy them, you'll Bearely notice them. How many times have you opened up a chest and just closed it because there was just an axe in it? There are plenty of Bear chests around the Internet, if that's your thing, but the ones in-game likely never bothered you too much. Just keep your Bearing, and move on.

~Thank you Beary much,
    Kennethern

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  11. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

why are most of the ailens in starbound earth animals, not that i got anything against that i think its cool but there need to be some more ailen ailens thats not monsters

12. Pohany

Pohany Parsec Taste Tester

Because the developers of the game from the planet earth!

13. Jareix Cryvix

I thought I remember seeing some really wacky combinations for the monster of the week thing... Are the all of the original RNG parts gone? Because I'm pretty sure this is not of earth...
    image.jpg

14. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

um
    [​IMG]
    also i said not monsters

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    Voidnaut and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  15. Jareix Cryvix

:seriously:
    I was thinking tremor turtle...

16. Tyler Tenebrae

Tyler Tenebrae Pangalactic Porcupine

I do believe they were born of the teChNOLOGicAl HuBrIS of some earthling mad scientist.

17. emeraldgreen72

emeraldgreen72 Phantasmal Quasar

Penguins who are mercenaries and space pirates.

Frogs who are swamp people and merchants

Bears who are miners

Alpaca who are Scottish and badass

Now all we need are hedgehogs who are olympic sprinters

18. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

Ever watch Farscape, chief? You watch that show, you relearn everything about sci-fi. Also, it's my understanding that magic is just science we don't understand yet. If we showed today's technology to people 1,000 years ago, it could only be understood in terms of magic.

I'm gonna miss Lantern Guy. But, space bears, so that's neat! I love the new books. Gives me a bunch more stuff to find. I'm going to have to expand my library on my colony. Wands? As in, dual-wielding Space Magic? I'm so far in, I'm mining Core Frags. It all looks so good. I can't wait until this becomes a thing on Stable. My biggest hope is that nothing gets wiped.

emeraldgreen72 likes this.
  19. Relten

Relten The Waste of Time

heh, that reminds me of something...
    image.jpg

I think the Novakid already fulfilled that theme.

20. IvoryOwl

IvoryOwl Pangalactic Porcupine

In that case George Lucas (Star Wars) must be from another planet - his imagination gave birth to some really interesting aliens you can't find anywhere else. Mind you, most of them are ugly as f* but at least they're different.