3rd September - Chucklefish Blog

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Sep 4, 2014.

1. BrakSampson

BrakSampson Big Damn Hero

I'd just like an estimate in terms of a solid date. Or a month. Or a quarter of a year. Or an assertion that we will be getting this progression update before the one year mark on December 4th.

Pingeh likes this.
  2. Valkyrie_pl

Valkyrie_pl Big Damn Hero

I can't help but notice, that a lot of progression is tied to building a backpack that does [something], be it produce air, warmth, bubblegum, you name it. I am really hoping that we'll not be simply forced to wear backpack X on planets of the Y type. What about Arctic suit for cold planets? Or sealed suit with internal air circulation to counteract toxic atmosphere? I know it sounds like "give us armours too", but I just hope for more options to combat hostile environment than just a miraculous backpack. ^^

P.S. I'd also love to see some other personal light sources than just (Aperture Science) hand-held directional photon emitter (flashlight) and a lantern on a stick.

3. Ixmore

Ixmore Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm glad you decided to post this because we can form our own est. when the next stable will be out

pop-yotheweird and mollygos like this.
  4. naufrago

naufrago Void-Bound Voyager

I really don't like having to switch out my back item to the breathing apparatus currently because it means giving up the lantern on a stick. hopefully the light will become one of those things that gets baked into armor functionality with future tiers of armor...?

5. Little-blade

Little-blade Void-Bound Voyager

City planets?

City planets!

I am disappointed to see that all ship upgrades are needed to complete the game (I kinda like my tier 5 ship the way it is), but if the file structure stays the same it should be fairly easy to mod out.

6. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

Now I'm even more insanely hyped than I've ever been before. I can't wait to see the insanely amazing 1.0 and then what the game will evolve into afterwards.

7. Gindew

Gindew Phantasmal Quasar

*panic attack* i was so looking forward to the Renting!!

cacaudomal and KyPTeD like this.
  8. Gekker

Gekker Void-Bound Voyager

So... is there a patch comming before Update 1.0?

I mean are we getting a fully playable version before you guys finish everything you mean to?
    You have been working on a lot for the past few month without updating the non nightly build.
    It would be nice if the regular Starbound version would get a content update in the near feature which we can beta test and give feedback for.

EDIT: nvm my question. I just read the blog :p

9. Faugermire

Faugermire Void-Bound Voyager

Hey Starbound peeps! I have a quick question. Is there any way that saves from the current version of the game will be compatible with the next stable release?

10. Ice_kitten

Ice_kitten Astral Cartographer

I'm pretty happy to have more of an idea where Starbound is going. I know it wasn't meant to imply that it'll be done any time soon, at this point 2015 isn't too far away either. Sure, the idea of not having an update in a year is a little hard to swallow, but I like seeing some kind of idea what we're going to get. I was under the impression that it was still up in the air and the developers were adding what the community wanted and what they thought would be great additions with no real idea where to end that step and call it a "finished" update. This looks like a lot of stuff is still planned, so I'm not sure we'll get it this year, 2015 sounds like the most plausible.

11. Frostfall

Frostfall Big Damn Hero

Hmm, awesome update! I've just been checking in here and there and am always curious to see how development is going. I think I will start over come 1.0. I want to experience the whole storyline/progression. Need to learn the new modding rules though as I get a major headache without altering the lighting.

12. Astasia

Astasia Pangalactic Porcupine

I don't see any spoilers. Everything on there is something we all know about, you just put it in order. I mean it's nice to see the tech and planet trees laid out like that, but you've already told us how they would work, and the balance goals are cool to see, but really there was nothing new in that entire post, let alone any spoilers.

Nimeni likes this.
  13. Psycho Hyena

Psycho Hyena Phantasmal Quasar

I just don't understand where they got the idea game features are spoilers but they warn for spoilers all the time. Just the strangest thing. I really hope the farming, building and adventuring gameplay that's been spoken about before is still in the 1.0 plan and they've just neglected to mention it because it's so core to the experience that'd it'd be like mentioning mining is still in the cards.

cacaudomal likes this.
  14. shuruga

shuruga Void-Bound Voyager

Wow, this post on the blog in exactly what I was waiting for.

Thanks for the information and good luck for the future devs.

15. Milan Mree

Milan Mree Ketchup Robot

Such linear progression...so disappointing...

cacaudomal and Nimeni like this.
  16. Dosypoo

Dosypoo Starship Captain

City Biome?! CITY BIOME?!?!

*Cries because it is so beautiful*

Kawa likes this.
  17. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

They got that covered in the "to do" list...

So once you got your air tank, the next armor tier up will have the air tank effect built-in, freeing up the backpack slot for the next obstacle-clearer.

I am a tiny smidge concerned as far as the prior-mentioned idea of "farm/craft your way up the tiers instead of just fighting" isn't explicitly spelled out... but then again, "fight your way up the tiers" isn't explicitly called out either, so. There's a lot here on what you need... but not a lot on HOW you get what you need. So we'll see, won't us? Thank you.

18. Crackker

Crackker Orbital Explorer

I'd just like to know what the current version is... My Steam client hasn't updated Starbound since 26/4/2014. I'm assuming there is a new version since then?

19. Geissanhall

Geissanhall Scruffy Nerf-Herder

mos def lookin forward to it ;)

20. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

That was the last stable update. You can switch to the nightly builds which is more unstable, but gives you an early taste of content still being finalized for the next stable update.