30th August progress

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Rex Chestington

Rex Chestington Star Wrangler

How about you turn the Steel crafting into a recipe from an NPC or Quest. In that it says you need carbon and iron to create steel. Make imperfect Steel in the furnace and create full steel bars at the anvil.

Fair enough, it's complex, but a little challenge never hurt anybody. Except maybe the Iron Man or Marathon des Sables, people get killed in those .... :halo:

2. Rex Chestington

Rex Chestington Star Wrangler

Yeah, they should do it more often :giggle::proper:

3. sonic5202

sonic5202 Industrial Terraformer

beta ready 3 months ago....

4. Azahiel

Azahiel Industrial Terraformer

I wonder if the last sentence actually means something more than "we're going to work hard from now" or is is just wishful thinking. I mean Steam early access is not a bad idea. There are games in worse stages of development there and people are having fun with them.

I really like the way Don't Starve was developed. I think it should be how all "early access" games are made. Started simple, not much features, basic mechanics and then regular, themed patches. Even after it's "release" things are added this way.

Also, Steel = iron bar + coal in an alloy furnace or blast furnace or something like that. I don't think there is need to over-complicate that.

RynCage and Rin-Kin like this.
  5. numanair

numanair Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So will there be different types of steel (or other alloys) based on the ratio of metals used?

6. Sionkster

Sionkster Void-Bound Voyager

Beta is already out ?!?!?!?/1/1//?!?!?

7. Deadlyapples

Deadlyapples Zero Gravity Genie

Oh my god! Guys! Was that "Full Steam Ahead" comment a hint at a potential Early access Steam release?! YeeeaaahH!

*warning I am just kidding I am not mental*

*OK I am mental but it was just a joke*

*please don't kill me*

Menasor, tassina, samufel and 3 others like this.
  8. Toasty

Toasty Industrial Terraformer

Fingers crossed that whenever the beta does come out, it comes out on a Friday afternoon, or early Saturday.
    That way I, and people like myself, will be able to play for 48 hours ++ before resuming work.

Etohekk, Miles and Sionkster like this.
  9. SamuraiJack7

SamuraiJack7 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yaaaaaay! reading the daily updates had become a good morning routine, so it's nice to see them back.

it's also great to see tier progress... what wonders await us?

10. Jackorias

Jackorias Subatomic Cosmonaut

People keep saying 10 tiers as they're looking at getting the first 10 tiers done before releasing the beta.

Back to the topic hooooooooooooooooooooooooly crap o.o. I knew the other tiers would be quicker since all the base mechanics were essensially done, but a couple of days? I was more expecting a couple of weeks at best. All I can say is well done and I hope things keep going well for you guys. ((P.S. Congrats at the success at I49 and hope you all recover nicely from jetlag)

That's a nice progression you've got there..... Shame if something were to happen to it.... :ssssssssss:

tassina likes this.
  11. Xyth

Xyth Void-Bound Voyager

Fuk the shcool, Ill plai starbound instaed :)

tassina likes this.
  12. Sorasousha

Sorasousha Subatomic Cosmonaut

Watching the i49 stream just makes me want to sing from the mountaintops: Beta plzzzzzzzzz! Every update like this only makes me more excited. gaaahahahaha.... So glad I prepurchased. +_+

poeticfelony likes this.
  13. Amber Talamasca

Amber Talamasca Pangalactic Porcupine

hmm... alloys. can we try and mix and match all metals? see if we can get new alloys out of them?
    On that account, will there be a tinker bench, where a wooden sword recipe could be upgraded to a stone/metal sword by replacing elements by trying instead of finding a recipe?

couldnt upgrade indefinatly and you'd need a base recipe, but the idea is kinda cool i think :)

tassina, Chadpole and SuicideRey like this.
  14. kik4444

kik4444 Existential Complex

How about this idea: In the last tier you unlock the recipe for a molecular reconfiguration machine, which can make anything, any item, but the stronger/weaker the item is, the longer it takes to create it. And to keep things fair, making this machine should require 5-6 of the hardest items to find in the game.

15. Rawrkanos

Rawrkanos Void-Bound Voyager

Feed us that sweet beta juice, Tiy. :'(

If you can demo it at i49, you can demo it to your customers, can't you?

16. M C

M C Parsec Taste Tester

you shouldn't skip your english language lessons :wut:

Sunako_Kirishiki and Azahiel like this.
  17. CubeX

CubeX Void-Bound Voyager

Because playing it for couple of hours at an event and getting the unfinished product for yourself is totally the same thing.

They are still making the 2nd tier, they'll have to finish those to get the game going.

18. Etohekk

Etohekk Void-Bound Voyager

I am holding onto a few days of vacation time for this exact purpose. It won't matter, for me, when Starbound comes out. Bwaahahahaha! And my fiancee even just laughed when I told her. She's awesome!

Devs et al,
    If I knew you, I would hug you...ALL. 1) Because I like hugs. 2) You're all freakin' amazing. Keep up the fantastic work and be prepared for an outpouring of (more) love from your Starbound-ers!!

Menasor, samufel and Scawtish like this.
  19. "Full Steam Ahead"
    God damn you Tiy! More conspiracy theories are on the way!

tassina likes this.
  20. 1John5vs7

1John5vs7 Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Don't games typically just have you heat iron ore and coal in a refining kiln or a furnace? That seems to be the most obvious way unless you have added manganese, chromium, and other elements to the game that you want to have mixed in for a more realistic process....