27th September Progress

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Gene

Gene Phantasmal Quasar

While the rest of your argument may be valid, I disagree with this statement as a matter of principle.

Story/RPG games (and Starbound has a big dose of both) are driven by immersion and authenticity (don't confuse authenticity with realism; it's fine for a fantasy game to not be realistic, but it still has to feel authentic in order to be immersive). A big part of being authentic is to provide a well-balanced environment in which I would feel justified in playing to the best of my ability and using every available tool and technique to my advantage, while still maintaining balance and pacing.

Providing an unbalanced mechanic, and then telling people to "don't use it if you think it makes the game too easy" breaks immersion and undermines the game's authenticity.

Bombzero, vae, hansmorg and 3 others like this.
  2. Gene

Gene Phantasmal Quasar

I'd imagine uniforms will be driven by both race and by context.

Context would usually mean the planet's tier. So, for example, on tier 1 you would see rags and wooden clubs; on tier 3 you would see medieval armor; on tier 6 you would see modern military gear; on tier 9 you would see sci-fi power armors and plasma blasters, etc.

Specific environments, like special quests or dungeons, would have their own contexts, and thus their own gear worn by NPCs just for that context.

tassina likes this.
  3. Silican Beat

Silican Beat Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well... if you're in a Dungeon and they don't want a specific area to be readily accessible.
    They could make it that you'd have to grapple some 2058192582 times. At which point, you'd be out of energy. I think it's justified :)

SpiroExDeus and tassina like this.
  4. Prime262

Prime262 Void-Bound Voyager

i think it would be awesome if the smaller towns and settlements had sloppy, mismatched militia, and larger cities had organized guards with better gear and tactics.

perhaps funding/ equipping a local militia could be a side quest, with the result being better troops to defend the town

tassina likes this.
  5. Mercury Gilado

Mercury Gilado Existential Complex

If you do enough pullups, does the grappling hook cost less energy?

yay899, NixeonLow and PaperGoat like this.
  6. Combine_Kegan

Combine_Kegan Phantasmal Quasar

Yeah, I fully agree there, I'm just pointing out how the item behaves, the energy cost kinda sucks in general

7. Sower

Sower Big Damn Hero

Are there any plans to add ambient sounds to villages? Like semi-muted chatter and/or sounds from the local shops? I remember Tiy stating that there's going to be stuff added in between the buildings, but there never was any mention of adding ambience.

8. Prime262

Prime262 Void-Bound Voyager

im not sure how i feel about the grapple having an energy cost, i suppose it all depends on how they handle it. if the cost is really low, or can with upgrades be made more efficient, or if i could just stack up on energy to the point where i don't care how much it uses then id be fine with it.

i think that a better to avoid people using it to cheese everything would be to make it so that enemies can target and attack your grapple rope, detaching you from it. after all, if i was fighting some dude dangling from the ceiling, id probably try to shoot him down first.

NixeonLow and PaperGoat like this.
  9. EarthlyOdin

EarthlyOdin Phantasmal Quasar

Glad to see you're back Tiy, you guys are really pumping out the updates and I thank you for that.

10. Hilkyshtuff

Hilkyshtuff Subatomic Cosmonaut

Damn this update got me pumped! Progress is very good! But now I realize I still have to wait. Jeez, just lemme get my hands on my very own Tardis for 2 minutes and I'll be ecstatic.

11. Zalgo

Zalgo Void-Bound Voyager

My arms! They canna' handle the stress! I'm fallin', I'm-

Aaaaaaaaaah! *Thud*.

My energy ran out.

12. Sirduncan8

Sirduncan8 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Great work, but will your energy go back up if you idle with the grappling hook attached to something? Like if you're hanging from a cave "ceiling", would your energy go back up, go down slowly, or stay the same?
    Very interesting mechanic! :)

tassina likes this.
  13. EntityOfTime

EntityOfTime Subatomic Cosmonaut

hmf, I have mixed feelings about the energy using grappling hooks. Otherwise, keep it up!

14. NixeonLow

NixeonLow Astral Cartographer

Yay! Tiy's back! :D Fanboism aside, I can see the logic behind a grappling hook draining your energy reserves slowly. After all, it's a great deal of stress on the arms to support the entire body for extended periods of time, right? So long as we have a chance to regen energy between spooling and unspooling the hooks, I'm fine with it.

tassina likes this.
  15. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

i hope they remove that engery thing from the grabblehooks, seems like a setback to how awesome they are,
    unless they make higher teir ones unlimited

16. ForgottenSpork

ForgottenSpork Void-Bound Voyager

I feel like, when this game comes out, it'll be one of the most ridiculously polished games ever. I mean, they're literally covering every single base possible.

17. Bazoril

Bazoril Void-Bound Voyager

So Tiy to sum up what you have missed... Some of the community went through worse withdrawal than WoW players during extended maintenance on patch night. Also to those people... Gaming rehab. It's a thing.

I kid i kid (i think), welcome back Tiy.

tassina likes this.
  18. Pingeh

Pingeh Pangalactic Porcupine

Damn, really stinks about the grappling hooks. I was really psyched after seeing them in action... I guess I won't bother with them.

19. Mercury Gilado

Mercury Gilado Existential Complex

Now they just need magnet shoes, for when you have to cross a lava lake, and there's nothing to grab on to.

They'll probably make higher tiers cost so little energy that you'll never miss what you spend on it. From the gameplay demo, it seems like energy recharges incredibly fast anyways.

20. Sir.drake

Sir.drake Cosmic Narwhal

tiys internet connection is back now yay back to normal :catface: