27th September Progress

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Sep 28, 2013.

1. King Leonidas

King Leonidas Pangalactic Porcupine

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    JETPACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw will there be different types of jetpacks like at different tiers? So your first jetpack will be pretty weak and you get it early -mid game (but not too early) and it's just for screwing around with a higher jump and a cool new animation (or will that be wings?) and then near end-game you get this massive overpowered beast (that is expensive and uses up a lot of energy, of course).
    Anyway, where was I?
    Oh yeah!

JETPACKS!!!!!!!

tassina likes this.
  2. Poe Salesman

Poe Salesman Void-Bound Voyager

Hopefully it'll be possible to mod the energy requirement out. It's a convenience device, not a weapon. It's for fun and getting around, it doesn't need to be turned into a power leech because it doesn't give you an unfair advantage over anything.

Blue Hair, Pingeh, PaperGoat and 2 others like this.
  3. ARthunder

ARthunder Star Wrangler

You guys are the best game developers ever... you keep us up to date with everything you do and i am so glad you are waiting till the game is finished before realease you guys creating a master peice thank you so much

tassina and Davosalm like this.
  4. Sousuke Kuroda

Sousuke Kuroda Spaceman Spiff

It looks like it functions not too dissimilar to the Ivy in Terraria so I can't say I'm thrilled about an energy cost.

Blue Hair and Pingeh like this.
  5. Davosalm

Davosalm Aquatic Astronaut

Finally Tiy got internet. Welcome back to the world, my friend.

6. PaperGoat

PaperGoat Industrial Terraformer

I disagree, the way i see it is like this.
    I understand the need to limit it to avoid exploiting, but.
    The ninja ropes seemed like more of a skill item to move around the landscape. The more skilled you are at it, the faster/smoother you get about.
    I just think the energy costs will make it too frustrating if its not a low cost.

Blue Hair, Affero, Pingeh and 3 others like this.
  7. Percival

Percival Phantasmal Quasar

Aw, but my Spider-Man fantasy will be constrained now! :cry: Why?! This is worse than burned marshmallows! Oh, wait. I like those. :V

King Leonidas likes this.
  8. NivlacDX

NivlacDX Void-Bound Voyager

Will the beta have a release date or will you guys just make it a surprise release in one of the daily updates?

9. Combine_Kegan

Combine_Kegan Phantasmal Quasar

It behaves nothing like the ivy whip though. The ivy whip yanked you to the first point you anchored yourself to, then you'd go to a halfway point on the next anchor point, and so on and so forth.

It had no elastic properties, and you couldn't freely reel yourself in and out.

tassina likes this.
  10. Sousuke Kuroda

That really doesn't matter though, I honestly can't see any way of abusing the ninja rope so I really don't think an energy cost of any kind is really warranted.

Pingeh likes this.
  11. RitsuHasano

RitsuHasano Existential Complex

And here I was all kinds of excited to finally have an actual, GOOD grappling hook in a game that lets you swing around like a silly and have actual fun. Can't really do much of that without fear of energy consumption. Probably the only thing out of everything said that honestly bugs me. :I

Oh well, that's life I guess. Hopefully it won't cost too much to use it, and that energy regenerates at an okay pace with it out or something. It'll still be fun to use, and I'm sure later on you likely have much more energy to fiddle around with and such.

Blue Hair, Pingeh and Sousuke Kuroda like this.
  12. Rueya

Rueya Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The energy to the grappling hook might vary according to tier along with its range. I'm fine with this, gameplay and balance wise. If I'm in the mood to swing like spidey, I'm sure the awesome modders will add a no cooldown/no energy cost/ and unlimited range to the spidey suit. :up:

I do wonder if we could hook on to flying mobs though... that would be very cool indeed! :DD

Anyway, thanks for the update Tiy and welcome back! :coffee:

tassina likes this.
  13. PaperGoat

Yeah, i hear you.
    Maybe they know something we don't and time will tell.

14. Xnodas

Xnodas Orbital Explorer

I'm seeing the energy cost being relatively low and only there so you can't use it cheaply like killing a bunch of melee people/monsters from a safe distance on the ceiling while shooting down.
    Using it for movement shouldn't be an issue here.

tassina likes this.
  15. Sousuke Kuroda

Why is that something that needs to be avoided though? If you feel like it makes the game too easy for you, then don't do it. I don't see this as being something that requires a really annoying system to rectify, its like the approach to try and steer people away from hellevators by putting durability on your tools. Its a limitation that really doesn't need to be there for a sandbox game.

EDIT: Especially considering many enemies late tier will have ranged weaponry so this kind of thing would be pretty difficult to pull off.

16. Gruntdonttoot

Gruntdonttoot Subatomic Cosmonaut

I say remove the cost to wind up an down and just make one big cost to launch it each time. Idk the winding would make for some interesting scenarios of "I'm over this chasm and I don't have enough energy to get up or down"

Affero and tassina like this.
  17. PaperGoat

Well, how about it devs? your people are getting restless speculating of the reason behind this change.
    Do we get the privilege of knowing why?

18. Xnodas

Xnodas Orbital Explorer

I understand this is one of those things that seems limiting but when you design a game and you try to make a dungeon hard and actually difficult to go through and you notice "oh they can just grappling the ceiling and bypass any enemy in this dungeon with 1 item" it makes sense. It is a sandbox game in a sense, but this game has a huge adventure aspect to the game in which most of the developers time has been put into.

plus heelevators are easily possible. just need to bring some ore with you for quick repairs.

Edit: I like this addon just for the fact when you are in the heat of battle you can't grappling the ceiling and heal up. Make things harder.

Bombzero and tassina like this.
  19. Nikki

Nikki Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm Loving This.

Undead likes this.
  20. Nynjah

Nynjah Void-Bound Voyager

I'm wondering if the Hylotl dungeons and villages will be underwater... That might be cool, except for everybody else that can't breathe underwater. No big deal or anything. Who needs to breathe anyway? :lolwut:

tassina and Tester383 like this.