27th May - A challenge room appears!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, May 27, 2015.

1. NerArth

NerArth Pangalactic Porcupine

That's what I enjoy most about this kind of game too. Not particularly looking for something very stressful either, like you mentioned; I have enough games to feel edgy if I want. :p

As I understand, challenges are optional, right? Are the rewards dependent on the planet's difficulty level or the challenge has a difficulty level of its own?

2. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

Best comic ever!

DrgnKakashi likes this.
  3. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

The challenge rooms are totally optional yes, they just have goodies at the end if you get through them.

As for the second question, I don't have a true sourced answer yet. But it is looking like each challenge will have its own difficulty, shown to the player on the doorway or in the first room inside it. They will probably put the harder rooms on the harder planets, but I don't think it will be tied directly to planet level.

NerArth likes this.
  4. RainDreamer

RainDreamer Existential Complex

Sweet glowing blocks that moves with you =O

I imagine doing tron-like structure and stuff that glows everywhere you go to.

And I hope fist weapons would be much faster + high knockback to compensate for their non-existent range. It looks like you probably have to go to touching range of mobs to actually damage them.

NerArth likes this.
  5. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

So... challenge rooms are kinda like giant apex obstacle courses, with added Metroid/Megaman feel?

Yanazake and Hatsya Souji like this.
  6. dropdead

dropdead Big Damn Hero

Heh, as if I need a special game setting - I will die on my own without help, thank you very much. X3
    Well, can't be worse than the hordes of enemies Devil May Cry 3 liked to throw at the player. Was sometimes hard to see the way in front of me because of all the butt ugly demons. :pwease:
    To bad Chucklefish prevented people like me to take the lazy way and build a wall around the boss, so they didn't have to break a sweat or god forbid work to get it down. :love:
    As long as I am able to worm my way around the stuff I don't like so much and can get interesting stuff otherwise that's okay. I still remember the "good old days", when I was frothing at the mouth because of some stupid part of a game. I think I might still be traumatized.

I think we are severely lacking a emoticon that scratches it's head. I used to have my own set of approved smileys on a webspace but that was ages ago. Where can I file the application to apply for one?

Edit: Repeated use of words I didn't need. I just threw them out. I think it's time to learn how to write.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
    Hatsya Souji and NerArth like this.
  7. General Nuclear

I find it amusing how some people are more hype on the boxing gloves then on the neon platform map
    like me

by the way that guy is in the glf is doing it wrong heres how you do it
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    Jonesy, n1t3n and MysticMalevolence like this.
  8. Gevouden

Gevouden Big Damn Hero

Great, Apex dungeons and thier telsa apikes already lag me out before I get close to them. Once this update drops I wont be able to play anymore.

9. NerArth

Cheers for that info.

Same here! For all of that. :p

dropdead likes this.
  10. D3AD_FIRE

D3AD_FIRE Aquatic Astronaut

I got a great idea for a futur update, how about making one(or more) official planet per race, (sort of like the outpost) full of race lore, traditional clothing/houses and/or extra quests (like kill x many birds, or bring me x material.

shannyxvx and Kawa like this.
  11. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

The challenge dungeon featured here wanted me to play this tune from Iji! Though I'd rather parkour at flying battleships, than just ruins, with all of those doodads and traps![DOUBLEPOST=1432764707][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Looks like it, and what I'd like to have it there? DO NOT PURSUE (LU BU!)

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    MysticMalevolence likes this.
  12. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

Boxing Gloves should be a 2-handed weapon PAIR that allows guarding with right-click. Basically a greatsword with shorter reach and much faster attacking. Maybe the guard would work more like regular shields, though, and have a shield HP.

n1t3n, General Nuclear and NerArth like this.
  13. General Nuclear

or one 2 hand boxing glove that your useing both hands in

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  14. NerArth

I'm pretty sure that very early on they had intended this, but I don't know what the current plans are. I know that they hoped to put certain fixed star systems for each race or something of the like. (Such as Sol for the Human race, with all the planets in the Solar System.)

I think the animated cinematic things they were working on when I last played were closely related to this too.

15. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

It's a sandbox? It's a platformer? No, it's Starbound!

Kawa likes this.
  16. Lazer

Lazer Existential Complex

That challenge room looks neat. I hope you guys are going to improve movement controls.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  17. Silver200x

Silver200x Subatomic Cosmonaut

make the gloves non lethal , nice for multiplayer fun

18. Merlander

Merlander Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm super excited I can't wait to see peoples Ideas for the secondary or special for fist weapons, Personally I'm thinking along the lines of a high knockback move that stuns or something along those lines. :D

19. BlackValkyrie9

BlackValkyrie9 Void-Bound Voyager

Boxing gloves? AWW YISSS!!! I'd love it if there was a "Power Glove" with serious knockback...I'd be sending alien monsters flying everywhere! > : D
    I wouldn't mind at all if it did 0 damage, it's just funny to see enemies go flying... Maybe I'll just mod my own based on the vanilla files (if possible).
    Would probably piss off a bunch of people in multiplayer... I'd recommend not doing that.

20. Falling Tide

Falling Tide Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I would like to get ahold of them new Lasers, and the glowing platforms I hope they will be attainable without the use of cheat mods. I really don't want to cheat to get all the cool stuff but will if I have to...