27 March - Wrapping up the week!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Mar 27, 2015.

1. twitchtopia

twitchtopia Void-Bound Voyager

"sees that i will be able to continue after i die in missions" Me: *back flip* realizing that im at a desk thus flinging desk and all of its contents across room

2. Breakout

Breakout Big Damn Hero

I really like the Venus flytrap shoulder pads in the concept sketch.

3. mharr

mharr Orbital Explorer

I may be missing something, but surely if dungeons don't repopulate when you die, then checkpoints or shortcuts wouldn't affect difficulty, they'd just cut out some wasted time running through empty corridors and completed puzzles.

Actually, if dungeons are persistent you *need* a checkpoint system to allow certain puzzle designs, such as no-turning-back decision points.

4. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Hey now, we can't have any sound reasoning 'round here ;)

5. mharr

mharr Orbital Explorer

Hey, persistent dungeons would allow for full Metroid designs, where you find a unique movement tech that unlocks alternative routes around the map. The more I think on this, the more exciting it is.

Kawa likes this.
  6. TheGlitchKing

TheGlitchKing Subatomic Cosmonaut

All he and I suggested were some cutscenes....

Doctor Devil likes this.
  7. mharr

mharr Orbital Explorer

SNES RPGs did that all the time, with a combination of exaggerated animation, manga iconography and evocative music. Humans are really good at personifying abstract characters.

Kawa likes this.
  8. Doctor Devil

Doctor Devil Big Damn Hero

From what I understood dungeons will last longer, not be persistent.

The current mission instances already have that implemented. At least the Erchius Horror and the Floran Party. Both have other ways for people who unlocked the ball tech :)

9. mharr

mharr Orbital Explorer

Longer, but also "When you die in a mission, you'll be able to go back to it without having to start all over again." so either they're using the same system as the new unique worlds, or they're adding checkpoints. I'm assuming the former because it's simpler, and massively expands their options for mission design.

Yeah, but in the current release you couldn't have the player find a tech in a dungeon, then use it to further explore that dungeon, because installing it would reset all your progress.

10. Doctor Devil

Doctor Devil Big Damn Hero

Yes. You'll be able to go back without having to start over again. For some limited time, because the instances last longer. That's at least how I see it. If you're playing on a server, you're able to do the same even now (just leave one person standing still in the begining of the mission, because the mission maps are shared).

Why would they do that with a tech, if they can achieve the same with just a plain button somewhere on the wall? Pressing it would open some passage, so you could explore further. Actually that system is implemented in some micro-dungeons (like the Apex Flu Lab).

Implementing checkpoints seems like a rather odd decision - it wouldn't add anything to the game (maybe except a different way to do something that's already in the game right now) and it would require working power that could be used somewhere else.

11. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Not all of us do multiplayer, though. Having checkpoints lets us single players come back to the same un-reset place. There are dozens of us! Dozens!
    One is a puzzle that you must solve to clear a dungeon with no extras, reap the reward, and get to tear the dungeon down.
    The other is a dungeon with extra parts (who even knows how many?) that you need a certain unlockable skill to reach, like a Metroidvania. "Oh, there's a thing there that I need a tech for, so I'll have to come back later." Later, you come back and goddammit all the puzzles are reset and the enemies respawned and the place where you found that unreachable thing is protected by that damned boss again. Not fun.

12. mharr

mharr Orbital Explorer

Ah, I was reading it as longer, more complex instances, which would need some sort of save state to be practical. Still, even with a reset timeout or gradual respawning it's still persistence, and unlocks all the possibilities discussed above.

I'd do it because it's way cooler than pressing a button, and a great way to introduce and train new powers. There's a (dumb as hell) word for that kind of map design for good reason.

Ideally, you do need checkpoints if you're going to have puzzle bosses, or your game will feel like it escaped from 1985. Placeable teleporters are already in development, so the capability is going to be in the engine either way. It's just moving the spawn point.

13. Tuliup Man

Tuliup Man Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thanks for expanding upon what I have said ;D but in all serious it is (hopefully was) a serious issue that needed to be fixed or else every none private server isn't usable, I don't wanna go around saying RIP (insert popular public server here)
    This problem is so bad people are righting a petition, yes that's right... 9 pages full but to stop more of this civilized rage to continue on this page here is the link: (http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/petition-please-fix-server-stability.91269/) ;)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015