24th September Update

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

NPC will be able to defend themselves from monsters?

Silican Beat likes this.
  2. nofo

nofo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

sign of beta?

3. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

About as much as every other update, except maybe that end paragraph. Maybe not a sign, but more of a plan.

tassina and Duke like this.
  4. SpiroExDeus

SpiroExDeus Cosmic Narwhal

I'm going to postulate in case the devs miss your post. LUA is written mostly as a modding language.

To quote from the manual:

"Lua is an extension programming language designed to support general procedural programming with data description facilities. It also offers good support for object-oriented programming, functional programming, and data-driven programming. Lua is intended to be used as a powerful, light-weight scripting language for any program that needs one. Lua is implemented as a library, written in clean C (that is, in the common subset of ANSI C and C++)."

(emphasis mine)

So yeah from this, what the devs have already said about coding, what I know about how programming works and the little I know about JSON, it seems they're using C++ for the background game engine (base physics, support for LUA and JSON, other stuffs that I can't think of), LUA for the moddable codey bits and JSON (AND LUA) for basic storage of information.

tassina, Leak, Belgoliad and 2 others like this.
  5. Duke

Duke Big Damn Hero

C'mon, man, Tiy explained why already. Don't be like that.

And what's wrong with usin' "yo"? It doesn't hurt anyone. :)

6. NovastarX

NovastarX Big Damn Hero

Sweet! Though it's not my hat... So close... :p

But can't wait to be able to start modding. I have great plans for projectiles and the creation of every possible moster part EVER. And maybe lego trees? :idea:

tassina, Duke and Jonesy like this.
  7. SpiroExDeus

SpiroExDeus Cosmic Narwhal

Lego trees... would those be trees made from Lego blocks or one of these?

[​IMG][​IMG]

tassina and Jonesy like this.
  8. Skudge

Skudge Void-Bound Voyager

That street goes both ways, chum. Do well to remember that.

What is given in these daily updates is an extra service that is entirely optional on their part. There is no ironclad rule that dictates that the content of their posts should be proportional to the time not updated. We deserve nothing. You deserve nothing. I deserve nothing. The rest of the forum deserves nothing.The sooner you pound that into your head the easier life becomes when dealing with terrible terrible things like no updates for a few days.

9. Loxy

Loxy Pangalactic Porcupine

Thanks for the Update Molly!
    Judging by this and what Bartwe has been streaming all week. this has been one very busy project of late!

Keep it up guys :)

tassina and Jonesy like this.
  10. seevenup

seevenup Contact!

thx molly for the nice update, and sorry if i made u guys angry yeserday

11. sonic5202

sonic5202 Industrial Terraformer

How odd is all this ...

12. Kwayne

Kwayne Subatomic Cosmonaut

Ever since I pre-ordered I follow these updates. They keep my hopes up, making the wait part of the fun. I'm very grateful you guys do this, even though you don't have to.

tassina and RicardRC like this.
  13. Sir.drake

Sir.drake Cosmic Narwhal

hi people hope you have a good day why do i say this because of this tophat :proper:

tassina likes this.
  14. RicardRC

RicardRC Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Saying things like this shows how many (none) complex things you tried to create. There's almost no art expression beyond polished videogames that takes soo many woman/man hours to finish. You know, only the AI, what you call "THIS all we got" has entire departments of PhD students to create nice kinds of AI's... and it takes them years. Many. It is truly a VAST world, that of creating a videogame. And CF is not really a big team. It's a nice, SMALL team. What means, every bit of awsomeness they get to create comes from at least the SAME workhours coming from far LESS people than usually takes to create open games like this one. You know, it takes a quarter of that to create a linear 2d game. But don't lie to yourself, an open game like this one could have taken 4 years to develop and noone working on the industry could have thought "oh, they are taking a little too long"... And then YOU come and say it has taken them too long to improve the AI?? Well, it's like seeing a friend after five years and when he/she tells you "I've got a degree on chemistry!" you say "just this?". It sounds depreciating. And depreciation doesn't come from hate... comes from ignorance. Try to think how could you manage to make a machine that looks like it's intelligent using only numbers and basic numerical operators, plus loops. Try it. Think about it. You probably can't. They DO. And it takes a lot of time and effort and expertise to do in a barely convincing way.

What we all could say is THANKS for working 80 hours a week and even finding time to spend in any form of community...

15. Axiney

Axiney Master Chief

Molly got tired eating that cake.

samufel and Jonesy like this.
  16. RynCage

RynCage 3.1415926535897...

80 hours a week my ass. Sure, I bet they work hard and put in decent hours, but PLEASE. 80 hours? I doubt you even know what working a 16 hour day feels like, let alone working an entire week of it.

17. Mikerlantz

Mikerlantz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'll say yo if I want, yo. Also, its really not tiny. Not any tinier than any other update, its about average. Not really a matter of opinion... Its literally about average in terms of size and content.

Silican Beat and tassina like this.
  18. Tool_dc

Tool_dc Aquatic Astronaut

THOSE INTERIORS *__*

19. Idlemind

Idlemind Subatomic Cosmonaut

Glad to see the posts are mostly positive.. but its a palm to the face when you see questions about beta and people being negative and even hostile, especially after the last update thread got locked and if you even bother to read the post there is some discussion about what's left to do for the public beta.. to quote south park, I mean, "come ON"!

20. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Amazing what they can do in a 2D game with the right assets. I can't wait to see what the community will come up with.

tassina likes this.