Security Systems

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Insanitor, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Insanitor

Insanitor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hello.

I think it would be awesome, if at some point Security Systems was added.
    Things like;
    Security Camera, works as a trigger, when enemies enter it's LoS. They can also be programmed to act differently depending on what's in its LOS. like, if you have it connected to a door, it will open when the player enters LOS and close when an Enemy enters LOS.
    Security Alarms, these are little lights that can be attached to walls and work as a Background object, when it's activated it will start spinning with a Red(or custom color) Light for a few seconds. Maybe also a version that makes a sound.
    Security Console, with this you can switch your view between your Camera to quickly see what's going on in your base.
    Security Screen, this would be a Background object, that could be increased in size by placing more next to each other. This would allow you to hook it up to one of your Security Cameras, so you could constantly monitor a part of your base, on a big flatscreen TV.

Personally i could see alot of cool things to use this for, beside just making Base Security.
    The Screens and Console could make you able to make a "Monster Arena" where you can have your "Pets" fight each other, while you watch it on the Big Screen... Awww Yeah.

Well, anyways, hope you like the idea, feedback is welcome ofcouse! :D

-Insanitor

2. Ahbahl

Ahbahl Title Not Found

Not a bad idea. Underwater bases would work quite well with it, too. You go into a room, the behind you closes, then the water is being drained. After that the door infront of you opens. Would prevent your underwater base from being flooded. Not really a security-thingy but if you can program it, its possible. I like it.

3. Scottish Pig

Scottish Pig Subatomic Cosmonaut

This is a great idea. With the games level of scientific technology, I would be surprised if this wasn't even planned yet. Which I don't know since I don't go searching for that kind of information regularly, however I would love to add this to my homeworld base mostly just for aesthetics. Also how Ahbahl said that you can create a water lock room to have an underwater base.

4. Stalkish Cockatiel

Stalkish Cockatiel Existential Complex

Spongebob?
    [​IMG]

5. TheTimeLord

TheTimeLord Existential Complex

Pretty cool idea if you have a clan and having war in a server.

Captainhindsite likes this.
  6. That is when Wired will come in, a sensor that trigger another thing, it is possible in Wired, in Habbo the wiring system is very advanced and let us automate this kind of stuff, a simple sensor that triggers a door to open when the player is on the area, it's done, the same for Alarms. :alien:

It's just create items with wired functions, still it really depends of what Tiy wants to do with wired that seems not much far the last discussion about that in IRC.

7. Supagriff

Supagriff Astral Cartographer

This is a great idea! You could have warnings go off if you on your home base if a ship is approaching your planet (via wireless space probes).

8. Maxkottchen

Maxkottchen Master Chief

I hope the wire system function like the one in Gunpiont.Not exactly the same way, but a kind of. That would really increase the user-friendliness.:whoop:

9. Nikkey

Nikkey Master Chief

I hope it will be in the game.:up:

10. Gandak

Gandak Aquatic Astronaut

something like a pager for remote warning would be nice, expecially for pvp when someone trying to break into base while you are out

11. Havok

Havok Void-Bound Voyager

I agree.
    I think, the alarm systems can also contain sentries, detectors (light, noise, explosion, flood, fire etc.), trapdoors, speakers (to play announcements, for example "Attenition, this facility is now in high alert. Lockdown is in effect.") and many more things like that :D

Check out my "Water and Sewage" suggestion: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/water-and-sewage-system.19883/#post-797386

12. davidlolcat

davidlolcat Subatomic Cosmonaut

My brother and I made an underwater base in terraria. We used pressure plates and 3 doors (2 linked) as a entry way. That way one door was always closed. The water inbetween was pumped out. We could run back and forth through the doorway system no problem.

Naun and Captainhindsite like this.
  13. merroth

merroth Space Hobo

This.

14. Foxling

Foxling Void-Bound Voyager

This has my full support!

In Terraria home defenses were always lackluster. The options you had were few and even if you got creative and renovated your entire house into an ugly or ridiculous looking fortress it would all be moot because there would be mobs that could just go through the walls. Not to mention that the NPC's you sheltered had no survival instincts what-so-ever once enemies got through. Homes/Outposts/NPC's should be capable of defending from all kinds of hordes (high tiers defend against stronger mobs) without heavily sacrificing appearance or location.

TL;DR.
    Forget boulders traps that are one time use only and give me lazors and Rancor pits!

Shotgun75 and Captainhindsite like this.
  15. 1mwb

1mwb Big Damn Hero

Please add this! :p PLEASE!

16. romaniamiam

romaniamiam Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm new to this so I don't know if PVP is supposed to be a thing. If it is, maybe add some method of preventing other players from digging under your base and avoiding the security systems. Half life 2 restrictors?
    [​IMG]

nomotog and Captainhindsite like this.
  17. plasma face

plasma face Scruffy Nerf-Herder

awesome idea, you can have cameras looking at a specific spot and if something walks into the cameras vision, a turret will shoot

Captainhindsite and Supagriff like this.
  18. The Thing

The Thing Existential Complex

Similar to stuff I have seen in other thread already. See base defense in depth or my own thread(see signature) (those that I can remember from the top of my head). Many more already exist with a lot of work put in them already.
    But yes, I do want a bunch of camera, detector for many stuff and that kind of gadget to serve in more complex system. Linking them to doors or other object to create automatisation.

19. Yukizora

Yukizora Master Chief

Security systems such as camera could be seen as a different way to trigger a trap/alarm or something I guess. Put them on tiny corridors and you can play Metal Gear in Starbound :catface2:

20. davidlolcat

davidlolcat Subatomic Cosmonaut

It would be fun if as a director you could change the "alert" status of a base. I'm seeing colored lights with fade in/out animations. All doors being reset to closed. Things of this nature. "Red Alert! Secure all doors! Activate the Defense Network!"