23rd February

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Feb 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quark

Quark Big Damn Hero

I'm lovin' what I'm readin', Tiy! I approve of it all! One of my biggest issues with the current version is the fact that I'm only seeing so many biomes because I've only just reached Tier 2 with my current character. The fact you're aiming for the game to be less linear means the worlds are going to be a lot more varied earlier on, which excites me.

PabloM likes this.
  2. Yvejuzul

Yvejuzul Subatomic Cosmonaut

I find all this to be a wonderful idea, especially how the beginning will be work. The idea of an outpost planet also sounds like a plus. Looking forward to hearing more on all this.

3. Wolrajh

Wolrajh Orbital Explorer

I absolutely hope we will be able to bully people that don't pay the rent on time... *evil grin*

Nah, but even a Karma system would be fun, somewhere in future stages. Like, as I said, bullying people, stealing stuff like trophies in dungeons and either selling them on the black market or donating them to museums. Taking a contract to produce X resources and not fulfilling it.
    Which may yield greater profit but also risk being the target of angered people.
    I'm not a huge karma black / white fan, but it can help boost emergent gameplay as well as give a lively feeling to a world.

But, yeah, first CF will have to pull what they want to do off. It's not gonna be easy. I'm looking forward the renting path, though. Can definitely be extremely fun, building huge mansion and renting them at high price... Populating entire villages... :')

EDIT : All that being said, is the game development going to take a big leap forward ? With the deep coding apparently done to help getting new things in game faster and easier, as well as Chucklefish getting a brand new physical office, one can expect the game to start growing fast. Not talking in DAYS of course, but in 2, 3 months from here, I think we should reasonably expect of lot of things to have gone forward.
    Not raging or anything, but you know. We haven't had some real content update for some times ( I'm not sure whether to file the V-day / holidays update under "serious content" ), which could be very well excused by the deep coding and office thing.
    So... Yeah. I guess it's time to move, or rather run, forward! You can't rely on mods forever ... :)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
    shinobi1027 and Eyecrown like this.
  4. Alternal

Alternal Existential Complex

Sounds absolutely phenomenal.

5. Ryksos

Ryksos Tentacle Wrangler

I 100% support everything in this post.

6. Ilusiveman

Ilusiveman Void-Bound Voyager

I hated milions of sectrors. This sounds a lot more intelligent.

7. ForceablePlace

ForceablePlace Phantasmal Quasar

Seems like a Great Update, but, it would be cool if you guys could take some ideas from "Spore" (The Space Stage) Because it could really help make things for the Space part of Starbound, Like contacting the planet's owners (Might only work on "OutPost" planets, or planets owned by a civilization) and maybe even have "Stages" for other NPC's, so like if you visit a planet, there might be "Early" humans (or other races), or even a Civilization that DOESNT have space travel, and one that DOES, and then the one that DOES, will slowly start colonizing other planets near them (Or even other solar systms)

PabloM likes this.
  8. flamedance58

flamedance58 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Love this patch.

For once! I have something positive to say eh?

9. hample

hample Void-Bound Voyager

I have something floating here I can't really make into sense right now, but my idea seems to lean more toward a sort of implemented mechanic yes, that takes into account everything that has to do with the pixels in the game, and a way to feel like you've earned them, not only by finishing the quest, but that there is an actual trade-feeling. where you would aquire the pixels as the equivalent of finishing the quest.
    Instead of them just popping up in the inventory from nowhere or, at best, "from" the quest window, i mena, tha tdoesn't cut it for me really!
    it needs to have something to prove that there is actually a real thing that 'generates' your pixels.. especially since they're pixels.

if it was like energy it would have made sense to make it easy and implement some kind of sense that there was a wireless transfer of the stuff form some central source, or just form an individual locked storage that you can only get into/get pixels out of if you do something that makes sense to get it Into Your Wallet or Bag or w/e lol! get me?

anything is better than: "boom invisibly just appearing in your wallet from the quest screen"

btw... i have no idea if they're already thinking of this, so it wouldn't be surprising if what I'm saying here isn't gonna be a problem.

anyway:

IDEA:

Some kind of feauture for convincingly getting pixels.

10. hample

hample Void-Bound Voyager

THat's my opinion.
    and if it was my game, I would think more about it, but i'll leave it to devs. ... or you guys!

11. Midnight Tea

Midnight Tea Phantasmal Quasar

I want to say that this is very good news, Mr. Tiy. One of my biggest criticisms about the game is that the linear sector-by-sector progression took away from the sense of exploring a vastly infinite universe and more like being gated through a tube of toothpaste. I also think repairing your fuel module is a much more fitting early game quest.

If we're going to talk early game though, isn't still really really strange that you beam down to a planet from a spaceship and proceed to make stone and bronze era tools to progress?

12. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Electronic banking >_>

13. Pretentieux

Pretentieux Space Spelunker

Allowing people to basically advance in the game by hanging out in safe sectors destroys the community.

14. Kyora473

Kyora473 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Would this mean another character wipe? How would older characters fit into this? Moreover, would the game be able to import old planets from this current stage of the beta/whatever stage is right before the shift to this?

15. greenman

greenman Spaceman Spiff

They said no more character wipes. This doesn't mean, however, that old characters will necessarily get to play in a new world. At some point, you might have to create a new character to get the most out of the game as it develops. (but I think at this point it's too early to know for sure)

16. Nithilus

Nithilus Big Damn Hero

Well I certainly can't wait, Keep up the good work everyone :).

17. Stu and Improved

Stu and Improved Spaceman Spiff

>outpost planets
    tumblr_mv1hg5FBOc1slatwjo1_400.gif tumblr_inline_mo1trlwPRm1s1u9cm.gif whut.gif
    You hear that? That was the sound of my head exploding.

Kyora473 likes this.
  18. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove Orbital Explorer

Even though I love the game as it is so far I am very excited about these changes. This is exactly what I have been secretly hoping for since the beginning since watching it develop two years ago. I can't wait!

19. Huckleberry Len

Huckleberry Len Void-Bound Voyager

I don't see how it would ruin the community.... It may take the thrill away for some people, but then they don't have to build and advance there. That's why I asked the question. If it were an end game sector, with the freedom to continue to grow and build mega populated cities for fun, that would be awesome. If it were possible to build and farm there while still advancing semi early, then yeah it may take some of the fun away from building a city and defending it, however that would be a choice by the players. In either case an adventurer wouldn't gain much from it if its completely safe, as I take that to also mean no dungeons (as dungeons have traps, guards, etc.). So I would like clarification on what role exactly that third sector serves.

Edit: And as I stated, if it were possible to advance there, then the first sector would no longer be were most of the game takes place, as builders / farmers who chose the "easy" route would instead spend most of there time there. So my personal guess is that you can not advance there (although that would mean no income, as advancement will be based off of income but that may lead t that sector being completely pointless if you cant continue to fill your pockets there).... its a little dilemma in a sense.

And by "Easy" route I mean no mobs, I imagine you still have to gather building materials, only without the worry of being attacked. So it would still be time consuming.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
    Eyecrown likes this.
  20. MechroKat

MechroKat Void-Bound Voyager

I like the idea of outpost

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.