23 January 2015 - A busy week!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Supernorn, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Carl_the_freeman35

Carl_the_freeman35 Void-Bound Voyager

I would like to see new underground backgrounds

2. Novaphex

Novaphex Seal Broken

I noticed you're much concentrated in building microdungeons. So what about implement some mobs as dungeon keepers and some items to upgade weapons with fire, poisson or other improvements. Microdungeons may lose its attractivness without offering an incentive to dicover.

Sorry for any mistakes, I'm German and it's a long time ago I wrote in English xD Hope my intention becomes clear.

Colaymorak, Khuur and Axe Garian like this.
  3. jonathonspy

jonathonspy Existential Complex

the smashing rocks were in the nightly build...
    they were cool...
    and the Kaiju seem nice...well not nice...they probably want to eat everyone....but they look cool..

4. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Is there aggressive new ai for the kaiju? They don't seem like the to start walking back home like in the gif. (Never liked that sort of thing, tbh. Do all mobs think they left the oven on?)

jonathonspy likes this.
  5. Phantaeon

Phantaeon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Microdungeons, gotta catch 'em all! Microdungeons!

6. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

I get that this is an Early Access game, but aren't we supposed to give feedback based on what has already been released? What's the point of all this if I can't base my criticisms on the game as it currently is?
    As for ore rocks hurting the player, I thought I made it clear by being selective when describing how spikes behaved. But here goes again:
    Wooden and stone Spikes does not break when struck or shoot at, but can be broken down with the Matter Manipulator rather quickly, and it drops the material it is made of. My suggestion is that Rocks containing ores behave it that fashion. I purposefully left the damage on contact part out because I don't think the ore rocks should do so.
    And why am I ok with pots and capsules dropping loot? For the same reason I'm ok with pots and tall grass dropping stuff in LoZ (hence why I mentioned it. That wasn't even a direct comparison between the two games, so take that card out of your hand, boys): Game Logic.

Oh, and @Kriminal, yes, plants can be broken down with weapons, and can you imagine how frustrating it was when I figured that out the worst way? That is to say, I was trying to defend myself with a ranged weapon and, instead of the enemy, I kept hitting reed? That right there is a prime example of how bending your own gameplay rules like that can be detrimental. I thought resource gathering was made via it's appropriate tools. I never would've guessed that bullets served that purpose as well, or that it would be prioritized over it's actual function that is to hurt things...
    Also, which weapons that breaks stones are you talking about? Is it those bob-ombs and those big boulders that you get or can be summoned by staffs? Those are a bit difficult to classify as a weapon (ok, the boulder is weaponized by the staff). But sure, let's say those are weapons. You can use it to open a way through the terrain, yeah. But can you mine with them? Have you tried it? I have. The ores were gone along with the soil. What I took from that was: mining is only done via mining tools, no other way around it. It is something I perceived throught observation, but not something I made up. It is called game logic for a reason...

But ok guys, I made my suggestions. I don't really have anything else to add on that front. The rest of the update seems hella cool, and I can't wait to try them out.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  7. neosuduno

neosuduno Aquatic Astronaut

Let me put it this way. With limited inventory space and all the stuff being implimented, do you really WANT them to delay the game further due to one little nitpic. It is one minor detail and you are blowing it out of proportions. Also, have you tried shooting through a brush? The shot always veers off wildly due to the flexibility of the plants fiber and cell structure.

8. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

I just don't get any of the logic behind the criticism....saying one thing that makes sense is wrong but another that doesn't make sense is ok because of your experience with an unrelated game....how do you even equate all that into criticism that you view as appropriate for this game? Plants drop seeds or other parts they are made of in this game.....that makes sense.....but saying this is ok because Zelda had it(or similar mechanic) but rocks dropping ores is not ok because Zelda had them in jars/capsules......how does that even add up? I get beta feedback if something is broken or if there's a genuine problem with it but this is like the complete opposite of that.....changing something that makes sense to drop ores(like rocks) for something that doesn't(random jars/capsules) because of Zelda? I don't even want to imagine what would happen if everyone made criticisms based on nonsensical things they accepted in other games. Change ____ because Minecraft did it that other way so this is not ok. Get rid of ____ because it's not supposed to be that way because Terraria.

I really, seriously, doubt this is the kind of feedback they're looking for.

And rocks have varying levels of hardness.....there are rocks that you can inadvertently break by stepping on them in real life so you can't say that melee weapons couldn't or shouldn't break rocks.

9. Oroborne

Oroborne Void-Bound Voyager

I'm pretty sure he was using the Zelda game mechanic as a comparison for his reasoning of critique. He's not saying things should be done like in other games, he's just expressing his desire for proper GAME LOGIC. Cutting a tree down with a sword wouldn't make much sense, so why would smashing a rock with a sword make any more sense?

As for feedback, I'm sure they take everything under consideration, because they're an awesome indie company who cares about their players. Also, I think they take pride in their work. So even the little things matter. A new feature comes out, and a player has an issue. That player gives feedback. Feedback is feedback. If they only took in feedback about things they wanted to hear about, they wouldn't make it very far. My point I'm trying to make is that, and please don't take this offensively, your not qualified to decide what is proper feedback for them.

10. Silver200x

Silver200x Subatomic Cosmonaut

these comments make me laugth seriously, such written verbal bullcrap lol,

Anyways, Looks Fantastic guys & girls, Im gunna try it all out later, been off for a while, programming shopping carts, lol,

Neat idea the breakable rocks im in favor!!

Khuur and DarthTrethon like this.
  11. DarthTrethon

Actually yes, yes it would make much more sense.....all rocks are rated in toughness from 1 to 10 with 10 being diamonds.....the toughest and most resilient material known to man....diamond saws cut all the toughest materials(even other diamonds). With that said however rocks that only have a toughness of say 1 to 3.....those you can break with your bare hands or by accidentally stepping on them.

Learn: https://www.bestcrystals.com/hardness.html[DOUBLEPOST=1422121936][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Really ridiculous.....nobody should have to be informed of basic, elementary-level geology because they make silly arguments like "how would you ever break a rock with a melee weapon, that makes no sense" :facepalm:

12. Dinoyipi

Dinoyipi Big Damn Hero

Wow... I haven't seen this much debate over a dev blog since the horse breasts fiasco.

Colaymorak, Kawa and The | Suit like this.
  13. GorunNova

GorunNova Pangalactic Porcupine

Which reminds me... FEATURE REQUEST: Modular ship AI, so that you don't have to be stuck with the damned anachronistic wizard if you play a Glitch! >_<

/rant.

jonathonspy likes this.
  14. DarthTrethon

Oh this is nothing.....should have seen the arguments we had over other, similarly extremely significant game features around here.....like the bug netting being stiff and people being pissed about it. :facepalm:

jonathonspy likes this.
  15. ThaOneDon

ThaOneDon Parsec Taste Tester

My god. It's.... beautiful. Keep up the good work.

[​IMG]

16. Sapphfyr

Sapphfyr Void-Bound Voyager

I did not know how much I wanted these new giant spawns until I saw them. Absolutely lovely progress update so far.

Also, special thanks to Kyren this time around--it's nice to know optimization is still a decent sized focus in all this. :) Looking forward to the stable update!!

DarthTrethon likes this.
  17. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Where have you been during the whole Hunger debacle?

Cat656, Dinoyipi and DarthTrethon like this.
  18. Frodew

Frodew Scruffy Nerf-Herder

YESSSS, giant beasts are what I have been waiting for! Sighting giant AI in game are always so exciting and eventful! I am looking forward to the next stable!

19. Dinoyipi

Dinoyipi Big Damn Hero

...Forgot about that somehow. xD

20. Hebephryo

Hebephryo Phantasmal Quasar

Ah, btw it may be a bit slow,but...how's a bone dragon makes any sense in a sci-fi game? I mean, can we stick to the genre, please?