23 January 2015 - A busy week!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Supernorn, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

A thing I used to do was build a cage for mini bosses near my base, and lead them literally all the way around the planet to stick em in the cage. I would then outmaneuver them and seal the cage. Voila, mini boss pet.

Doing the same with huge monsters would be easier, but more tedious, considering their speed.

2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

I really love this new rock ores idea - once cave generation gets improved some more - You really get much better rewarded for exploration and it solves the issue of excessive digging.

DarthTrethon likes this.
  3. Hot Soup 74

Hot Soup 74 Title Not Found

YESSSSS! I cannot wait to get back into this game. Feeling Starbound withdraws.

4. Cat656

Cat656 Void-Bound Voyager

I think it's meant to be like a bunch of fallen rocks or somethin'. Like, Ores and stuff are in there, they just need a little force to get them out. A nice sturdy swing from your weapon should do.

5. Talnochan

Talnochan Void-Bound Voyager

how do you hold the lantern like that??

6. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

Yeah well this isn't Zelda, and I couldn't care less about the "realism" of it.....so what if you have to switch to the Matter Manipulator for mining? As is you're still not mining with your melee weapon......just hitting the occasional weak rock that's already in the open.[DOUBLEPOST=1422072626][/DOUBLEPOST]
    So? Let this be a game where you can't see the method to the madness.....trying to over-think smasheable rocks is a bit stupid.

7. roadrashh

roadrashh Void-Bound Voyager

I'm always very passive aggressive. I can't think of a crazy game. I also didn't know that coal no longer serves as ship fuel. I don't play the nightlies.

8. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Yeah, I've seen some words being put in my mouth here...
    First of all, I never even mentioned realism or immersion in my posts. I even said I was fine with capsules and pots dropping ores occasionally. I also can't even conceive how you took that Zelda has any realism to it or that this is about said realism. I mean, money on pots and grass dude...
    What I did mention, however, was consistency. StarBound is a sci-fi game and if suddenly we had wizards shooting fireballs out of a magic staff that... no wait, bad example.
    I mean, if suddenly we would be able to grow angel wings and travel from planet to planet, it would be jarring as heck. This is about simple game rules. X do Y, A goes in B. It doesn't really matter what you put in those words, as long as those rules laid out at the beginning are respected. Not many games change the rules of their nature arbitrarily, and those who do at least makes it clear at the beginning that it might happen.
    Have any of you noticed how tools cannot be used for killing things? I mean, even a pickaxe which has a perfect, sharp piercering tip cannot be used for whacking regular monsters with. That's fine, those are the rules. If suddenly there were certain exclusive kinds of monsters that could be defeated with the pickaxe alone for arbitrary reasons, I'd find it a bit strange too, to say the least...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
    Tamorr likes this.
  9. Aegis J Hyena

Aegis J Hyena Existential Complex

The only thing that would annoy me is if they despawn after a time (for whatever reason). Maybe tagging them somehow so they don't, like nametags do in minecraft.

RatixFarrence likes this.
  10. Dunto

Dunto Guest

Yo, let's keep it civil in here. I'm starting to see some accusations flying around (from more than one person) and that usually leads to name-calling and such rudeness.

Please be respectful of each other (and each other's opinions). Also, please stick to the thread's main topic. :)

11. BloodyFingers

Sorry!
    uh, that was reflex.
    I wasn't one of the people making accusations, was I? I was just mentioning how I haven't said the word realism or immersion (because both of them did, as if I was defending those things) and I'm trying to point my (frankly, very small) issues with that ore rock thing being smashable by gunfire and knife stabbing (actually funny if you are a Floran) as politely as I could.
    Also I think I'm still on topic...

12. Eldren

Eldren Aquatic Astronaut

So is this new update suppose to come out this month or will it be like next month? I'm not being sarcastic I really want to know.

13. Treequil

Treequil Aquatic Astronaut

Uhm, well the core fragments force a lot of investment in the starting planet (unless you just dig a tunnel straight down) even though you ditch it pretty rapidly... Maybe make them spawn a liiiiiittle higher so I don't have to spend the first few hours to reach them just to ditch the planet for a more interesting home location? Aside from that I'm okee dokee. owo

14. DarthTrethon

Finding ores in rocks is consistent, I never said Zelda had realism but you brought it up so I pointed out this has nothing to do with Zelda. But there's nothing wrong with finding ores in loose rocks that don't need to be mined with pickaxes or the matter manipulator. So what if you can find ores in a type of container called rock rather than chests(which contained ores before this)......it's the same thing apart from how said container is opened. Why not see ores in chests as a contradiction to consistency too? Because you can easily imagine someone putting it there? Are you sure this has nothing to do with realism because your complaint is not consistent. Beyond that if ores an be underground to be mined why shouldn't they be in softer ground or rocks(and there are rocks that vary in hardness in the real world, some can be easily cracked with your hand) that happen to be loose and not buried? Are you saying that just because this this is a game it should not be able to handle ores in this(perfectly feasible) way?

A few disclaimers here: my reply contains no accusations, no namecalling, no insults, no exclamation marks and none of the aforementioned are implied. Additionally I am discussing finding ores in rocks which is very much part of this topic.

15. Alfretron

Alfretron Void-Bound Voyager

somebody make a mod to make those things rideable.

RatixFarrence likes this.
  16. BloodyFingers

No, sorry. Realism really isn't a part of my argument. Game mechanics is. Weapons could not break rocks. Except now they can, on this special occasion. If this rock is just going to act as a breakable container I see nothing wrong with using the pre-existing ones such as jars and capsules. That's it, really.
    [edit]
    In fact, making that smashable container look like rocks is a realism-based concern of the artist himself, I would argue. If all they wanted are smashable bits to gather ore, capsules and jars would work fine, and it would also be a nice reference to LoZ. Buf if Supernorn is going the extra mile to make it look like it belongs to an underground dungeon, then what's the harm of going a little bit further and make it behave like hazards such as spikes? That can't be broken by weapons but with the MM or Pickaxes/drills it drops wood or cobblestone?
    [/edit]
    Chests do not contradict any previously estabilished gameplay. You open chest with the interaction key, loot is inside. Capsules do not contradict any previously estabilished gameplay. They are smashable objects that yield pixels. Adding other kinds of loot is just a tweak on that rule to add more kinds of drops. If I were complaining about what kinds of loots you can find in which containers, then your reply would hold water. But I'm not.
    Soft and Brittle rocks: again, if I were talking about realism your counterpoint would be valid. But I'm not. There are ores in very soft terrain, that doesn't mean you can dig sand with your bare hands. You still have to use the Matter Manipulator or another digging tool. Them's the game rules. I'm hoping they either stick to that or rework it altogether. Hopefully stick with that, because it's fine as is.
    I'm just calling for this: If ores are etched on a rock, then it needs to be mined just as in any other instance. It doesn't need to take as long, it can even break apart as easily as other smashable containers, but at least respect the rules they themselves laid out before us...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  17. Mogg

Mogg Pangalactic Porcupine

Another update, holy cow.
    Backdrop looks out of place. I don't know exactly how to express it. The lava flows don't fit right. Looks like graffiti on a flat wall that shouldn't be flat. The mountains in the far back and the broken plateaus up front look nice. Its the in-between that sticks out so 2d cardboard cutout like. Like I said, I can't word it properly.

Big monsters. NICE. Might see an issue if they appear underground or even if a player uses a cave/hole to shoot at them from safety because its too big to fit in the cave/hole.
    Would they be able to destroy blocks of certain types? The big question on my mind then would be, can you disable them from showing up in homeworlds?
    Now to just put a mindcontrol helmet over them (ala Dino Riders) and make them into weaponised monstrosities! mwhahahaha cough cough hack.

Ore nodes? Sweet. Do they just sit there as a regular object, breaking upon mining it?
    Have you ever seen Diggles, The Myth of Fenris? While digging sometimes random stuff with drop out of the soil; vegetation (grass/moss), rocks, ores.
    Might be fuel for obtaining worms for fishing, fossils, rare stones, roots and bulbs, minor critters (non-hostile since that would just be a pain having it otherwise). Fuel for thought.
    Ore nodes at least would break the tedium of stumbling onto a hole mid-mining and finding it inhabited by respawning hostile mobs.

18. Kriminal

Kriminal Big Damn Hero

What rules are these again? Your entire argument seems based on a rule you made up and expect them to follow. Meanwhile they've been clear through this entire process that everything is subject to change.

Nothing is being contradicted anyway. You can chop down small and medium plants with a weapon but not a tree or vine. Doing that with rocks is fine. AND there have already been weapons that can bust through solid stone, not all of them obviously but it's not some unheard of thing in this game. Your opinion on smash able rocks is something you could certainly argue, but these so called rules of yours do not exist.

Not all rocks are created equal either. Realism wasn't your point going by what you are saying, however there are many rocks in reality that could be smashed with a sword or broad axe, that doesn't mean you could mine through a cave wall with that same weapon.

19. HI-MAX²

HI-MAX² Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Make these giant monsters true badasses, please. Not just big guys walking from one side to the other attacking the air.

Khuur likes this.
  20. DarthTrethon

Well considering the game hasn't even been released and sll that's been so far has been Alpha and Beta I don't really get your argument for "previously established gameplay" given that until release nothing is really established. Beyond that I don't really get why capsules or jars would be ok beyond your perceived infringement of what's been established......I mean why would there be random jars and capsules underground in areas without any structures? These things don't grow out of the ground.....now a loose rock that I can smash against a wall with my hand containing some gold.....yeah, that fits just fine. And no, I don't see why me failing to notice the rock with gold should somehow mean that if I inadvertently step on it, it should cause me harm. Things change....that's the way of life. The artists like it this way better and I don't see why it should be a problem.