22nd July Progress

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Chaozfactor

Chaozfactor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

When will roadmap be updated

2. Corpsie

Corpsie Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That's the thing about procedurally generated content. You need a pretty chunky sample size to make sure that things don't break the basic engine. This is slightly different to just adding in a fixed attribute item which you can tweak later or remove. A lot of the stuff is modular, one way or another and so the "core" is a lot of how code works with other bits and concern about breaking physics or unintended interactions.

The wait and the tweaks are, unfortunately, necessary to provide painless and extensive updates in the future. Much more so than in a game without the scope of Starbound.

Toryu-Mau likes this.
  3. Nesden

Nesden Cosmic Narwhal

All this secret stuff Tiy can't talk about. ;u;

Toryu-Mau likes this.
  4. goblininabox

goblininabox Space Spelunker

I don't mean to go off topic but..... when is the beta coming out?

5. blackbolta

blackbolta Space Penguin Leader

runiq and Dano like this.
  6. RomyCat

RomyCat Industrial Terraformer

While you are in jail for murder, the rest of us will be enjoying playing Starbound when it is finally released.

Titanium likes this.
  7. goblininabox

goblininabox Space Spelunker

Any specifics or just 2013?

8. Nohar

Nohar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

9. Pick Yer Poison

Pick Yer Poison Void-Bound Voyager

I recall Borderlands 2 having the same problem (what kind of company makes a product called a "Terrible Scattergun?")

10. Psyme

Psyme Scruffy Nerf-Herder

A company based in Spain?

11. Half

Half Industrial Terraformer

Considering they said a long time ago (Maybe even before pre-orders) They had a set mind for what they wanted in the Beta, they are technically working on the Beta, by adding what they want in it. They're also fixing bugs, which helps with making a beta, plus I imagine there's a couple of people working on how and when to wrap up a part of the game for Beta. Adding more stuff won't make it harder to create a Beta at all, since essentially, it's playable right now.

12. Nerva

Nerva Parsec Taste Tester

I know a lot of people are talking about the amounts of content Tiy has stated was finished today, but I'd like to draw your attention to something in particular that you might have overlooked.
    One of the big reasons why this game wasn't beta-ready was the fact that the netcode was responsible for multiplayer was incomplete. This kind of drastic optimization is a big step in the right direction. I mean, holy cow, hearing something like "bandwidth requirements cut in half" is music to my ears - especially since my ISP likes to throttle my bandwidth for no reason at the drop of a hat.

I would still love to see a melee combat demonstration in a video some time soon, but I'm happy to see any good news on the under-the-hood code front. As for uses for tar, maybe these articles might help matters?

13. Rin-Kin

Rin-Kin Phantasmal Quasar

From what i see it is updated regulary.

14. Well not regularly, every month or so.

15. blob

blob Orbital Explorer

Tar is flammable. That could make it an awesome trap.
    Set a layer of tar on the ground and a hidden switch that would get a tiny bit of flames (from a torch, or lava,...) on it and put the whole thing instantly on fire.

16. RizzRustbolt

RizzRustbolt Existential Complex

Tar as starship fuel? Tar as potential moon material?

17. Rin-Kin

umm i see little figures changing their locations almost every week, representing who and what doing.
    Their positions also correspond the description given in daily progress posted on main page.

18. Avatars may move but the progress is left unchanged.

Rin-Kin likes this.
  19. ikuokitsune

ikuokitsune Void-Bound Voyager

Great update as always, even more awesome is the news about the multiplayer fix. One of the biggest issues my friends and I had with Terraria was ofc the multiplayer. It's a comfort to know that this is going to be such an immersive game, we love to rp and it's going to be great building up our Apex Empire when it all comes together in the end(beginning :p) for beta~

Toryu-Mau likes this.
  20. Rin-Kin

I'm positively sure the "Consumables" in the "ITEMS" were lower then 80% last week.
    Not sure about everything else.

But you made me curious, i think i'll make screenshots to keep track of that ;)