22nd July More Novakids and progression

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Jul 22, 2014.

1. kithsakhai

kithsakhai Big Damn Hero

i think the intent is to make it to the center of the dungeon, get your loot (tech etc) and the shield generator will likely be right there waiting to be dismantled so you can do whatever you want with the blocks/furniture in the dungeon.

delete starbound.config

2. Cleberzinhuuh

Cleberzinhuuh Void-Bound Voyager

If the races are supposed to be identical, why did they even exist?

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  3. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

Roleplaying purposes?

Jbeetle likes this.
  4. Leocrubellatti

Leocrubellatti Void-Bound Voyager

Many thanks! BTW, is the game supposed to take absurd amounts of time to finish loading?

Edit: Game still crashing :(

5. yclatious

yclatious Guest

For the sake of the option of being able to be a extremely Tribal and Violent Plant Race,a Atheist bird amongst Religious Fanatics,a Rebelious Refugee amongst a Totalitarian,Endocrinating and mentaly and Phisicaly abusive Society,a Racist Fish,a self Aware Robot amogst a Civilization Simulation Programm thats beign hunted,a boring Human,or a Gas Bag with a low atention deficit that likes guns.

And you can play whatever ya like as these characters,dress them up as you wish,without compromising Combat efficiency or restricting your choice of Playstyle.

That reason enough?

6. Ewok

Ewok Subatomic Cosmonaut

Not quite that extreme. Have you played Elder Scrolls? Each race feels different but nothing feels forced into a particular playstyle. If my playstyle is as a thief type character then Khajiit would be an excellent choice, although maybe I'd rather play as an Imperial for various reasons. Being an Imperial thief is perfectly viable. The races favor differing playstyles by offering exclusive buffs to each. It's not like they give debuffs to all the other ones like you suggest. Give each race guns and swords, but maybe one has swords with a slightly longer range or slightly more powerful guns. It's a benefit you get from playing that race, but all the other ones are viable. Then toss in all the other racial bonuses such as the Glitch mining and Hylotl water breathing. Neither is terribly unbalanced either. You want to mine faster? Don't worry, when you upgrade your pickaxe you will--it just won't be as fast as a Glitch with the same pickaxe. You want to breathe in water? Get the O2 Mask or whatever it is called. Nothing is unbalanced and it actually makes the game interesting by adding variation between the races. Plus, it makes party make-up more unique when doing multiplayer as the group members will each have unique benefits that help everyone differently.

higuysstarboundiscool likes this.
  7. Halon

Halon Phantasmal Quasar

Hopefully the gun progression doesn't go water pistol, nerf blaster, minigun, death star when this hits the nightlies

8. MrStrangerPL

MrStrangerPL Pangalactic Porcupine

I would love to see some of the already in-game content. Human villages. Hylotl villages. A damn chainsaw. Some kind of dye mod implementation. But I guess continuous adding of new stuff is more important.

9. beari78

beari78 Guest

Does this mean we'll be able to play Novakids in stage 2?

10. Cleberzinhuuh

I Just would like more differences between races. Because a bird is not identical to a fish.

11. Xentor Antarix

Xentor Antarix Ketchup Robot

Yes yes I know it is so or so to late or so to give an idea to the design process.
    But how about make the Ship look bit like the from Dr Brown Modified train at the end of Back to the Future 3 ?
    Would be Steam punky but same way sci fi ly.

I mena I will so or so change to Nova Kid, because I like their look most.
    If the hylotl would not have 3 eyes.....

12. Quark

Quark Big Damn Hero

Muaha, yes. At last. This will probably end up being my favorite race.

13. Hessmix

Hessmix Orbital Explorer

I'm loving all the stuff you guys are pushing out lately, great great news as always.

14. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

also you get race armor more quickly if you're that race. it'll make a difference when racial armor bonuses are a thing

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  15. ZoraZ

ZoraZ Title Not Found

Why only Novakid get special threatment! :mad:

loljk
    but really, I can see everyone and their dog play only Novakid, Novakid everywhere

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  16. warbrand2

warbrand2 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Got to ask why do people think adding differences will change play stile, while yes it would make one race more fitting to one play stile then another, it will not change the way people play, if some one like a race they will play as it even if it has an ability they do not like.

That being said, I personally think that abilites would work if done right, the thing is I don't really think there is a good way to do things right, as each ability would have to be passive in a way but active in another..

the best I could come up with is things like, the avians having the ability to craft weapon and armor dyes(grounded seem to like color), floran ability to craft plant versions of every thing including crafting tables... yeah nothing that would effect the game.

17. Melissia

Melissia Ketchup Robot

Will anyone else be able to craft guns, or will we have to have a novakid mule in order to have guns appropriate to our level?

Zurgh likes this.
  18. Namiwakiru

Namiwakiru Black Hole Surfer

Sure, there are differences between fish and birds. But when they are both bipedal and the fish have never breathed underwater and the birds have never had wings what differences do you want to see?

We have different lore, ships, armours, weapons, villages, dungeons and eventually racial bonus armours, heck each race even different descriptions for each object.
    It means you don't have to play several toons just to experience what the game offers and gives you the freedom to be unique in how you build, act and dress. It's always been about freedom

19. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

We can, and that's fun. If we HAD to, it wouldn't be.

Imagine if entering the dark brotherhood in The Elder scrolls completely excludes any other guild sidequests as they're pretty much vilified everywhere, forcing you to make another character just to experience the rest of the content? Or choosing to be a khajiit eliminated any chance of being a mage because thats not the right way to play a khajiit? TES wouldn't be half as fun if they had such restrictions.

Besides, any racial trait becomes moot with enchanted armor, ironnically enough...

Update:

Npc1 -look, Argonians are pretty interesting, they have poison resistance AND they can breathe underwater! -

Npc2 - yeah, so does that big ol' cat over there with the enchanted helmet and ring. And he still can't enter a bathtub if his life depended on it...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  20. Cleberzinhuuh

as i understand the "Racial armor bonuses" can be used by all races if they have the blueprint for the armor. it means, a hylotl can glide if it has a avian armor(if avian's armor ability is glide). So it's not that different.