22nd July More Novakids and progression

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

NOVAKIDS NOVAKIDS, JUST LIVING WITH THE NOVAKIDS WOW WOW!
    The train of pure fiction’s dashing in my head
    And the addiction of my flames still spreads
    With the Novakid Novakids 
    I’m struggling with the Novakids Wow Wow
    It doesn’t even matter if there is no hope
    As the madness of these flames grows

yclatious likes this.
  2. Ulithium_Dragon

Ulithium_Dragon Space Kumquat

Hmm, that actually brings up a rather big concern: with both no way to remove or add blocks, traps like they've had in the past, such as pitfalls with electric pulses along the bottom and sides would be a guaranteed instant death. Unless you had a flight tech, such as Butterfly Boost, under those circumstances you could be in the most OP, end-game armor and would still have to suck it up and die just because you missed a jump... The point of being "aware" and taking your time when moving through dungeons is that you can avoid and remove traps before they can kill you. This wouldn't be possible under the proposed system, breaking the playstyle of careful dungeoneers like myself...

TeepoDarkwing and Hatsya Souji like this.
  3. DevGru

DevGru Master Chief

If the Novakids are able to craft guns easily, aren't Humans and Apex also able to? The lore says they're the two most advanced race.

4. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Holy sh*t.

The Novakids are IN the game.
    I can PLAY the Novakids.

I can't wait to force all of my friends to download this so we can have an awesome time using the new progression/Novakids.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  5. Cyrix

Cyrix Void-Bound Voyager

I think that having Novakid progression be different in terms of weapon crafting is a good step in making the playthrough for each race different but not TOO distinct. Hopefully minor changes to the progressions of other races will be added as well.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  6. Wolfie Inu

Wolfie Inu Pangalactic Porcupine

Not from base materials, I'm guessing. Being advanced doesn't imply being good at everything. E.g.: just because you're from a reasonably advanced society and can use a computer, doesn't mean you can build a basic combustion engine from raw materials.

Unclever title and mojoyscourge like this.
  7. Nutric

Nutric Pangalactic Porcupine

I like the way the Novakids' play style is different in terms of weapon progression.

Maybe something like this could be implemented into other races.

8. [pixelmonster]

[pixelmonster] Big Damn Hero

Since the Novakid were announced as an in game feature I have been hoping they would fly a space train!
    Chucklefish, You read my mind! Thank you...

To thank you for the space trains, I give you a some (Darn no Novakid Emotes...) Custom Novakid Emotes:
    {+) {#) {x)
    (Look at them sideways...)

Who says the Novakid are advanced?
    I thought they never advanced technologically because they didn't bother recording things like how to build a computer.
    "I don't plan, I just... do..." - Joker, The Dark Knight

9. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

I think humanity might excel at vehicles if they'll have differentiated specializations, like Novakid being inherent Gunsmiths.

10. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

Ungh, everything about Novakids is so flipping GOOD.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  11. DevGru

DevGru Master Chief

But they can still make salvaged guns using the robotic crafting table for a higher tier.

BloodyFingers and Hatsya Souji like this.
  12. tacomagic

tacomagic Lucky Number 13

The Novakid with no face dropped a voxel on the carpenter's latest creation, a pine special with a plastic insert for the honorable sheriff Kree Grind.

"I'd like to order 10 of your cheapest, pardner," said the Novakid, his voice echoing eerily out of his body as the diaphragm that held in the volatile gases undulated like the skin of a drum.

"Concerned. Have you lost a lot of family to the plague, sir?"

"Nope, can't say I have. Not yet anyway. But over yonder I see a group of apex running off with half the sherrif. I just think it'd be a darn shame if nobody gave them a proper burial." With that, the Novakid with no face started to saunter into town, one hand in his pocket, and the other on his sidearm.

"Exasperated. I do not even like that movie."

Xefs and Hatsya Souji like this.
  13. Monkey_BBZ

Monkey_BBZ Aquatic Astronaut

I was originally not going to play as Novakids, because "oh look how adorable these things are".
    But now I know they have two of my favorite things there - guns 'n' trains - I MUST PLAY AS THEM ALL THE TIME.

Cyrix and Hatsya Souji like this.
  14. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I will say that if Novakids can craft guns really well, other races should get special start-up-boosts like this as well. Otherwise the only race anybody will ever play is the Novakids (even if the guns are balanced with the swords - my friends just prefer taking the guns. One guy's ONLY (yes, only) goal is to collect guns, so he'll most likely ALWAYS go Novakid). It's like choosing between a bunch of the same thing, and one special thing. Why choose the duplicates? Therefore, you need to give others special advantages, or "Starbound" will turn into "Ugh-You-Chose-(Not Novakid)?-What's-Wrong-With-You-Bound."

EDIT: Case and point:
    my favorite things - guns - I MUST PLAY AS THEM ALL THE TIME.
    No offense to the original poster.

Just so the devs see:
    @Tiy
    Aaaand, in case that's a phony:
    @Tiyuri

Xefs likes this.
  15. Rogue Seraph

Rogue Seraph Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have thought some sort of shield generator would be needed, so nice. Will there be other types of generators? I would like a cloak generator for one. Maybe a teleport jammer/mech jammer as well(for when the mechs become something actually useful).

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    Hatsya Souji likes this.
  16. jpmrocks

jpmrocks Phantasmal Quasar

Yippie Kay Yay Yee! YEEEHAAAAAW.

Wait. so since we get racial guns from people ie Needlers from Florans, do we get Swords from Novakid NPCs.

17. Cliff474

Cliff474 Void-Bound Voyager

YES!!! THANK YOU!!! I can't wait for planet sized dungeons!

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  18. Lando_Stay_Beatin

Lando_Stay_Beatin Void-Bound Voyager

Wont they need sort of a Energy boost over other characters knowing that they specializes in Guns

19. Cat656

Cat656 Void-Bound Voyager

Can novakids have gunblades? I imagine it would be like a novakid going "ohh that's a nice looking sword, but I like my pistol here...."
    And instead of blocking, a gunblade would shoot.

20. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Hatchets, tomahawks or knives, if we're keeping the theme consistent