22nd July More Novakids and progression

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Captain Rage

Captain Rage Phantasmal Quasar

I welcome racial differences wholeheartedly, so it's really nice to hear that one race will be proficient at gun manufacturing!

2. Prop

Prop Subatomic Cosmonaut

So... will the novakids be added in the big progression update?

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  3. jambox5

jambox5 Big Damn Hero

here's hoping this opens the Devs to the idea of altering the racial weapons for all races to be more race unique (ie, maybe Avians have spears, apex have hammers, humans have knives, glitch have 2handed swords, hylotl have 1 handed swords, florans have axes and you must trade or get to certian lvl before you can craft other types natively) otherwise it seems stupid for the 6 base races to all have access to 6 weapon types natively but the novakid are forced to play as ranged users? if you're going to do that might as well lock each race to a weapon style!

mojoyscourge and Hatsya Souji like this.
  4. idfi

idfi Space Hobo

Culture Wild West

Capture-1024x703.png

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  5. mj707

mj707 Void-Bound Voyager

I think it would be cool to see two distinct types of Novakid settlements. One could be like a boom town (more like a city) with lots of merchants and services. And the other could be like ghost towns and be nearly or completely abandoned with only stuff to loot.

6. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Throw in there some abandoned gold mines with lots of dinamyte and we're set.

Edit: oh and put some bandits in that ghost town for good measure.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  7. RealityGlitch

RealityGlitch Void-Bound Voyager

This is sounding great, I like the shield generator idea because it would obviusly fix some cheating issues, but I like the race difference of novakids even more! If I could wish for any one thing, is that all races gets the same treatment as far as gear progression go, I'm certainly one that advocates actual differences in races othar than just visuals... hell I'd even prefer racial abilities from the very start, difference in playstyle is a good thing! For one it could make for more intresting co-op tactics and generaly just add replayability.

Cheers~

mojoyscourge and Silican Beat like this.
  8. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

I'm not sure if any other armor is already slated to confer this special ability, but for whatever ammunition guns will use, I think the novakid armor should confer you extra pew pew power...

Ps: I'm totally trademarking the expression "pew pew power".

9. Silvador

Silvador Phantasmal Quasar

"Novakids will be able to craft guns from the start"

Welp, that settles it.

NK4LIFE!

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  10. Blake81

Blake81 Cosmic Narwhal

I second this; there are many races who've their own gun tech (like the Floran Needlers and Avian Blasters.), so if each race could have their own set of guns too, it'd be damn cool. I mean, many of them are already ingame. For instance:

Avian: Avian Blasters (The ones used by Temple Guards)
    Apex: Lightning Coils (Those Tesla-esque guns used by some Apex Lab Security)
    Floran: Needlers (There are lots of them in the game's files already)
    Glitch: Crossbows (Same ones used by Castle Guards)
    Humans: Uzis and Pulse Rifles (Used by Inmates and Bunker Security respectively)
    Hylolt: Hmm...... Maybe some kind of Hi-Tech Bow, or Tanegashimas (The Arquebuses used in the Feudal Japan. Think of Lady Eboshi's matchlock rifle from the Mononoke Princess movie) for the Sengoku Japan Feeling, or some kind of very Hi-Tech Energy Gun of sorts for the Hi-Tech Feeling.

11. 503geek

503geek Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Semi-related question: does the protocol number on the main screen increment with each nightly update or is it some other number? Mine says protocol: 654 for example. Then there's an assets number (which I assume gfx and such) then a digest number, and I have no idea what that is for.

12. Danflor

Danflor Intergalactic Tourist

13. mj707

mj707 Void-Bound Voyager

Right after I posted that I thought of abandoned mines too! Lol. Except they'd need to be a little better than the human mines that already exist.

14. prodamn

prodamn Spaceman Spiff

Oh yeah oh yeah novakids oh yeah oh yeah NOVAKIDS.

15. kithsakhai

kithsakhai Big Damn Hero

Q: would we perhaps, be able to steal these shield generators and place them our own base to protect from unwanted pvp/griefing/damage from monsters inside a homebase (more for keeping NPC's from wandering into the jaws of baddies)

16. pi master

pi master Void-Bound Voyager

all good things...

17. BrakSampson

BrakSampson Big Damn Hero

I thought that the Novakids were supposed to be post 1.0 content. Why are they being worked on now, if we don't even have an ETA for the next stable patch?

Mine4Green likes this.
  18. Starbound lover

Starbound lover Starship Captain

I went on Steam, waited for it to update, went on starbound, clicked create a new character, nova kid wasn't one of the Race options! I AM NOT HAPPY! :devil:

19. AdenSword

AdenSword Pangalactic Porcupine

I always liked the concept of the novakids and I always loved using guns. And now I can be a novakid using lots of guns....

SUPERULTRAFREAKOUT!

20. Starbound lover

Starbound lover Starship Captain

Same happened to me