22nd July More Novakids and progression

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Jul 22, 2014.

1. -psst- Horse AI would make sense with the Novakids...

2. Tomato Master

Tomato Master Noob Simulator 2014

We still need to have craftable guns for the other classes, like weak shotguns and pistols!

Dyskord likes this.
  3. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Hey, will this space train make the same default noises when speeding up to and leaving FTL travel?

It would be cool if each ship had a characteristic sound that sets them further apart from each other. Like the human or Apex could have the AI say something to the effect of "initiating jump sequence" or the avian ship having a noise that would indicate the crystal powering up. This way the novakid ship could have a little choo-choo when initiating the jump (yea that's all I care about to be honest, thought of the other examples for the sake of fairness)

Edit: It would be delightful if the engines sounded a little different too.

Ferrettomato and idfi like this.
  4. PartyAlarm

PartyAlarm A "Cool" "Good" poster.

I hope there is a plan in the works to differentiate racial crafted weapons some more. There are already files in game for stuff like a Floran Needler. Humans could be able to craft a mixture of guns and melee weapons, Hylotl maybe all melee because e-bushido or something, Floran get mostly melee with a few primitive guns like the needler, Glitch can craft crossbows, ect.

Haedes, DaJoe85, mojoyscourge and 3 others like this.
  5. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

The source of the constant background noise on the ship seems to be the fuel hatch. Now that those are distinct for each species...

idfi and BloodyFingers like this.
  6. Aegis J Hyena

Aegis J Hyena Existential Complex

Great. No more making bridges and barriers through the pulse jump dungeon with all the jumping and electricals and such, because shield generator.

I hope the electric traps and sawblades and the like will be set to damage mobs soon...

mojoyscourge and Hatsya Souji like this.
  7. Aegis J Hyena

Needs more Carmeldansen.

8. Archer

Archer Spaceman Spiff

It's strange how the Novakids will be completely different from the other races, regarding ship concept and crafting... I think something similar should also be done with each of the other races to balance it out a bit, so people have a reason (besides looks) to play each of the races.

Then again, I think the storyline will also do something about that.

Takahiro86, DaJoe85, beari78 and 5 others like this.
  9. Aegis J Hyena

Maybe everyone gets a special attack. Like the avians could get a feather shield (I'm thinking like the Leaf Shield from one of the old Mega Man games) and the Apex could get a double damage long range melee strike or something.

beari78 and Hatsya Souji like this.
  10. Archer

Archer Spaceman Spiff

Well they said they would not do anything with special abilities per race, I guess for balance reasons (though it would still be pretty cool).

11. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

Races will get some special abilities from their armor :)

12. Nymall

Nymall 2.7182818284590...

I've taken a look, and they don't appear to be playable yet. I also unpacked the .pak files and I don't see anything new in there. I'm probably missing something though

13. Svanire

Svanire Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I hope we can craft/use said shield generators on our own homes so we don't have to worry about meteorsX3

14. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

When you say "armor", do you mean one specific set of end-game armor, or little abilities for each armor that grow stronger and more apparent as you craft stronger sets in their armor progression?

15. Doyp

Doyp Void-Bound Voyager

YUUUUS! I wanted the gunsmith thing so much, and we're actually getting it! Though I'm frankly happy just with this, it would be neat if other races got some specialization. (In terms of weapons.)

16. BloodyFingers

Hmm. I get the reason behind the novakid being gunsmiths and all, but then I just began playing wolfenstein: the new order and came across the laser cutter thing. And then it hit me:

What if instead of swords, the more advanced races could craft or have in their shiplocker an upgrade that gives the matter manipulator a secondary fire mode. Something strong enough that allows then to fend off the creatures they first encounter. Could be comparable in strength to the starter six-shooter of the novakids. It would make for a very sci fi-ish beginning, almost Isaac Clarke-esque...

Edit:

What would the novakid special ability be?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    mojoyscourge and dkdeath like this.
  17. skydart

skydart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh wow... I just have to wipe some tears off my face. That is SO cool! When I was a small kid, it was always a steam train who carried us when visiting grandma. Wish I could do that again, just once.... :cry:

Ferrettomato likes this.
  18. Ulithium_Dragon

Ulithium_Dragon Space Kumquat

Fine - I'll suck it up and backtrack to collect vanity furnishings (I can't be the only person who isn't thrilled at the thought of backtracking through a huge dungeon, though).

19. Conmaan

Conmaan Master Chief

I am extremely glad to see the shield generator change. From what Ive seen, most players tend to cheese their way through dungeons.

mojoyscourge likes this.
  20. BloodyFingers

Oh there will be cheese. I don't mine through a dungeon, but there's still the ability to put a nice 'icing' on the deathttrap cake if you get my meaning.

And now I want some cheesecake... The non-killing type preferably...