20th February Blog post

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Feb 20, 2014.

1. D-16

D-16 Spaceman Spiff

you are welcome to your own opinion, though i do not believe the facts validate it. furthermore, i see no reason to insult you because of this opinion.

Finn Learson likes this.
  2. Uxt

Uxt Star Wrangler

Would lickity-looooove being able to make "Soft Brick" (the white ground layer you see in avian villages, usually) and the Heavy Stone Brick found in Glitch castles. Clay in a furnace/kiln to make bricks, dyes to color them, ohmagerd my Adventure Time planet would be so cool.

Izzabelle likes this.
  3. LordLyciaX

LordLyciaX Scruffy Nerf-Herder

True, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, as it should be. I can however, safely assume in this specific situation, more people will have the opinion that coincides with my own. There is a reason big publishers for other game studios throw a team working on a project in one workspace (I'm aware that team A, may come into contact with team B on specific projects (Bioware) for specific reasons, but it isn't for minor/daily communications). The development team at Chucklefish, will in the end, be more productive by being on the same page.

Kabu likes this.
  4. D-16

D-16 Spaceman Spiff

as i stated before, opinions do not facts make. there is a reason several large corporations have allowed vast numbers of people with "tech" jobs to work from home.

i also suppose the reason larger publishers keep their teams under one roof has more to do with "making sure we get the 9-5, and the executives are free to come around and screw things up"

i also do not believe this will significantly benefit development. they still must keep the long distance communication in place to work with the (at least one) team member who felt moving to london was not in his best interests.

i see a short term investment of time hurting development due to "setting up the office", more so than it already has been. in the long term, this will also detract from starbound development, as there will be a second team in the office working on that pirate game.

time will tell which of our opinions were actually fact. as i stated before, i hope i'm wrong.

hrafnkel and Frigglish like this.
  5. Shaggyd0g

Shaggyd0g Scruffy Nerf-Herder

"Opinions do not make facts" yet your statements are all doing exactly that.

Kabu likes this.
  6. D-16

D-16 Spaceman Spiff

i suggest reading on, till the penultimate sentence.

7. LordLyciaX

Haha, so true. Suits don't know a lot about what's inside games, and generally will (sadly) play the "safe, cheap" route. Anyways, I know there are jobs where employees may work from home. I've just NEVER heard of any game development teams being scattered about, dealing with time zone differentiations, and being unable to 100% work as a team on a project (applies to any game of substantial size). Now, I guess I can concede the possibility that this will make the full game come out later (in this universe compared to one where they didn't get a new office), but honestly, this will save them time on troubleshooting issues/bugs/etc, stress, and will likely allow for more quality overall. In the words of the famous Shigeru Miyatamoto:
    “A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever.”
    (sure you can argue nowadays with patches etc, but still, you get my gist :p)

8. Rueya

Rueya Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Congratulations on the new office space guys! A place soon to be called home for the entire Chucklefish family! Great kudos on a job well deserved! :)

RenaldiForumStar likes this.
  9. Shaggyd0g

Shaggyd0g Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Time will tell, but there is a reason most companies have the bulk of their staff in one place.
    The staff member you're referring to as not coming over I respect immensely as they made the call putting their family dynamics above a paycheck.
    A lot of people wouldn't.
    So yes, they still have to work with time differences but there are fewer timezones that staff are in now.
    Easing in communication thus increasing the time spent on the project than juggling timezones and sleep patterns of the staff.
    If everyone you know worked 9-5 but you did the work to accommodate your employer in London and had to work late hours it tramples personal relationships due to conflicting schedules.
    Yes moving still means it's hard to maintain those connections but you also make new ones who are working on the same stuff as you, at the same time, same place. Instead of bein an outsider you become part of a cohesive group and that in turn can help coping with stress and allowing greater emotional stability. Both increasing productivity.

Kabu and ecips like this.
  10. D-16

D-16 Spaceman Spiff

depends on what you define as "substantial size". starbound...... isnt that big. it's not the same kind of undertaking as, say, the map of any given mainline elder scrolls game.

also miyatamoto was wrong. case in point: duke nukem forever.

this statement makes me wonder if you've ever held any job.

regardless, my opinion cannot be changed on the matter, and i am tired of repeating the same counterpoints to the same arguments raised against me.

if my opinion affects you so greatly, feel free to search my post history and read this argument the other two times i've had it. then PM me.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  11. LordLyciaX

For a smaller team, Starbound is a big undertaking. And obviously, Miyatamoto's motto isn't concrete truth. The gist of it is, is that that if developers develop a game longer, then (in most cases), it will have more quality/polish/content, than it would have, were it to release too soon. Plenty of games cut content/ideas/etc due to time constraints. For example, back with the original Super Smash Brothers, Bowser, King Dedede, and Mewtwo, were planned to be incorporated into the game, but were ultimately cut due to time.

Kabu likes this.
  12. Swawa3D

Swawa3D Aquatic Astronaut

I went to college and was friends with one of the guys that designed your dividing walls! Not only are the walls cheap and attractive they also modular and made from recycled materials.

http://mioculture.com/create/nomad-system.html

13. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

"Fun while exploring" by not providing complete changelogs... sure why not... next thing is that we dont even get to know if the game updated and are not informed if possible future wipes of worlds and missing chests are intended or not... Besides that... the "changelogs" we got so far were not complete or full either. Theres always stuff missing in them or documented fairly... inaccurate

Sartorius and Frigglish like this.
  14. DeathMonkeyZ

DeathMonkeyZ Yeah, You!

awesome I like the look of the office and cant wait for the updates I love the game already so make me love it even more

15. ecips

ecips Void-Bound Voyager

Everything fine and so ... but ... I like reading changelogs. Especially the section with added stuff.
    Is there a way to just put something like a "spoiler tag" in your changelogs for the "likes to explore items rather than knowing they're there"-type of player? :3

I mean, seriously (please don't laught ._.), I missed half the stuff in minecraft when I stopped reading changelogs.

+ love the room dividers!

16. Blue Hair

Blue Hair Phantasmal Quasar

It's kind of obvious that ditching changelogs, even for minor content additions, is a bad idea and counter-productive. All it does is greatly delay finding the content in question and 'testing' it to see if it works correctly. Which combined with the 'near-daily' updates we're supposed to be getting could lead to a bunch of buggy content in the game that no one knows exist yet. The reasons behind you removing changelogs are also invalid. In earlier posts you said you wanted players to play Starbound their way. How can they continue to do that if you remove changelogs which help some players get an idea of what to look for. (Not that the changelogs beforehand were really that in-depth to be honest.) Instead, you're forcing everyone to go on a wild goose chase in hopes that they somehow stumble upon the new content within the first few weeks in a universe that's completely dictated by random generation. Chance. Which coincides with the testing issue. If you don't see how this is a flawed idea yet, I have no idea what else to say.

My solution: When you update the game provide a link to the full changelog somewhere in it. That way people who don't want to know what's been added can just read that it's updated and go into the game without spoilers. Whereas the people who are focused on testing, or just want to know what they're looking for can click the link and read the changelog.

This is entirely reasonable, so I don't see the issue in continuing to use changelogs. Every other major developer makes time to post a changelog with their patches. It's not going to delay development for more than the few minutes it takes to type out everything that's been added. It comes across as lazy and misguided not including them, and just makes me question whether or not Chucklefish actually knows what they're doing half of the time. Which I want to believe that you guys do, but it feels like every other week now that you're doing something questionable.

Like the whole office thing. I get the points being made that it'll increase productivity. But when I see Tiy constantly trying to find more in-development indie games to publish under Chucklefish, and hiring a famous internet person to come help with Starbound every few weeks. I have to question if it's actually being done for the sake of Starbound, or something else.

hrafnkel, Gerwich, D-16 and 3 others like this.
  17. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

So when can I expect to be shipped over from the old HQ? (That hidden bunker inside of a mountain in the shape of Tiy's face, you know, the one with a lava pit.)

Leak likes this.
  18. [pixelmonster]

[pixelmonster] Big Damn Hero

Those Wall divider things are awesome, remind me of some building toys i used to play with as a kid... :D

Also Yaay for more frequent updates. Cant wait to see all the content you guys have prepared... :D

19. Frigglish

Frigglish Space Penguin Leader

Hey, who cares if you can't aim melee weapons so only 2-handers are really useful, or there's no viable healing past Gamma except waiting, or some customization options don't actually exist.

We can all sound like a guy who's famous on Youtube if we find a microphone, female characters included! :cautious:

20. Uxt

Uxt Star Wrangler

You're free to stay at my place until then. :3 NOT CREEPY AT ALL. (I have lots of steak)

So I'm wondering as many others are - no full changelog for content, but will there be at least something vague said so we know what to discover? It's like EverQuest all over again. QQ

joriandrake likes this.