19th of June, 2014: DevBlog GeorgeBlog

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by GeorgeV, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Ewok

Ewok Subatomic Cosmonaut

StarPixels!

The image Hiul posted is a good start of where Outposts should go. Container shops are fine, but we also need neon adverts and graffiti! In addition to container shops I think kiosks would be nice. Like that newspaper vendor above or any random mall kiosk that sells exclusively sunglasses or lousy N64 games.

Since this is a very early example, I won't complain about number of NPC's as I expect that will change. But we don't need just filler NPC's. Give them character! Like the "Repent, the end is nigh!" Batarian preacher in Mass Effect.

AvantGuard likes this.
  2. Jeoshua

Jeoshua Existential Complex

All of the ideas in this picture are made of win. ALL OF THEM. @GeorgeV take note, please? This is the kind of craziness we all want!

NovastarX, Crystan and AvantGuard like this.
  3. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

4. Jeoshua

I know where it's from. That's why I'm pinging GeorgeV about it, because he needs to see it if he hasn't already.

5. linkthegamer

Ahh, did not mean to make it sound like you didn't know, that was supposed to be more of an amendment to your post not a correction. The source has a nice explanation of things and your post was the newest one with the image. Sorry for the confusion.

Jeoshua likes this.
  6. kikinaak

kikinaak Pangalactic Porcupine

Nice pic.... except now that pizza parlor has a certain wierd al song stuck in my head the rest of the day. Now I gotta find an ABC file of it to put into starbound

7. Kawa likes this.
  8. linkthegamer

My guess is the cluttered futuristic appearance looks kinda like New New York. It's creator had a lot of nice ideas and did a good job of explaining them.

9. kikinaak

kikinaak Pangalactic Porcupine

I was mostly kidding but hey, if the idea has taken off...
    All food and drink are served in square containers. Think chinese takeout. Or if anyone else here remembers "sliders".
    Their special? Cube steak of course. Gotta build on the theme here.

10. Aurinth

Aurinth Space Hobo

I want to go there...

11. Will Liferider

Will Liferider Ketchup Robot

So will you be able to go inside the shops, like a different screen, or will a window appear like with the merchants?

PabloM likes this.
  12. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I'm guessing the latter.

13. otakuderp

otakuderp Void-Bound Voyager

Seeing that the infinity express looks like a gas station, maybe you'll be able to buy fuel for your ship?

14. Will Liferider

I think there should be the occasional shop that sells completely useless stuff, just so every shop isn't a gold mine. Plus it would be a good opportunity for some jokes. Useless devices for a ton of pixels subtle social commentary, swords that actually heal people, or jet packs that send you in random directions

15. Jeoshua

Call it Sharper Hologram. Tons of furniture that does absolutely nothing useful and when you examine the objects your character just makes some comment about not even understanding what it's supposed to even be.

Hatsya Souji, Kawa and Will Liferider like this.
  16. Will Liferider

*Various sounds of agreement*

17. Nynjah

Nynjah Void-Bound Voyager

yes....YES! A jetpack that has a description of "This jetpack seems a bit too good to be true..." or something like that, I don't know. This is good. Yes. Nynjah approves of derp jetpacks :nod:

18. Axatemus

Axatemus Aquatic Astronaut

I hope you can sell stuff for pixels as well.

19. hiul

hiul Void-Bound Voyager

i want shop that sell blocks and object like decoration, door , and stuff maybe the recipe to creat the object so we don't need to steal stuff from other npc house anymore when they have sense of ownership and no need to space travel to find object like plant block

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  20. Wintorn

Wintorn Phantasmal Quasar

You/we need a gas station. It could be called "Galactic Gas" or something.