18th June Progress

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Kurushi

Kurushi Void-Bound Voyager

I think it's kind of funny... So many people anguishing over the release of the game, and I'm here thinking, "But if you're using SDL, that means you can use OpenGL. Which means you already have access to the functionality and compatibility on nearly every graphics card made by a company in the Khronos group which is pretty much all gpu producing companies..."

Not to mention the number of companies that aren't part of the Khronos group that have added the OpenGL API anyway. Plus you could always test the computer to see what level of OpenGL the GPU can handle and set the API level appropriately. If the graphics code is wrapped up correctly, then the rest of the code needn't change. Granted all of this is stuff that should be in place already since if it's not, the dev team's going to have a hell of a time adding DX functionality on top of their previous code...

And in nearly every case I've seen OpenGL runs faster than Direct3D, since the hardware's designed with OGL in mind. Unless the performance gains are from DirectInput, DirectSound, and the other areas of DirectX. But then it seems like the reason you're adding DirectX in the first place is simply to be more compatible with the Windows OS. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, it just seems somewhat odd to switch if you've already got an implementation that works.

Regardless, this post has gotten a little too long for a simple comment on an update, so I'll go ahead and end it here.

Also, amazing job on everything! I'm waiting patiently for Starbound's debut!

2. Bzubko123

Bzubko123 Phantasmal Quasar

WOW I suggested Risk Of Rain to my friend and sent him the official trailer and he immediately says "I MUST GET THIS GAME!!!"

and my other friend: Jwombat, was chatting to me and this is his words:
    Jwombat: OMG
    Jwombat: The avians discovered the florans
    Jwombat: The Avians are at war with the Florans
    Jwombat: This is going to be awesome
    Bzubko: wuuut
    This was a joke btw, avians dont realy hate florans...;)
    now he is telling a story about this war! :rofl:

3. Legodude1237

Legodude1237 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

no they updated it on the 3rd or 6th (i forget) but definitely this month.

4. Jamtoes

Jamtoes Big Damn Hero

Great work!

5. samboni

samboni Void-Bound Voyager

The idea of sending them in PMs to the first # people that comment on the forum sounds good to me. Then you could actually prevent them all being taken by the same person as soon as they are posted... ****ing ninjas....

6. StarshiyLeytenant

StarshiyLeytenant Cosmic Narwhal

They actually just updated it again, I do believe.

7. defiant810

defiant810 Aquatic Astronaut

Just wondering, what rendering system were you using before you started working with DirectX? Was it something like OpenGL, or did you write your own?

8. DevonDe

DevonDe Big Damn Hero

OpenGL, they've said it before. If you have a life outside of the forums, then you may have missed it.

9. defiant810

defiant810 Aquatic Astronaut

I just started following the game a couple of days ago. Thanks for the info.

10. NubbyBoy

NubbyBoy Void-Bound Voyager

Tiy, are you hinting at beta soon?
    :yeahhhh:

11. Cadejos

Cadejos Orbital Explorer

You read my mind Mister :up:

12. Sizzle

Sizzle Phantasmal Quasar

13. DarkZombie

DarkZombie Title Not Found

In Terraria it was like that, you dig away downwards and you would see lava light up as you went down...
    but I hope the devs make it an option not to see that; ie. Line Of Sight.