17th July Progress

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Jul 18, 2013.

1. GrimChaos

GrimChaos Tentacle Wrangler

Yeah if some spider creatures dropped silk that would be kinda cool. Idk what they plan to do with cobwebs but hopefully they're not as annoying as the cobwebs in Terraria lol. Maybe they could just throw cobwebs in the background for looks and give spiders an attack that spits webbing at you and slows you down. That way you wouldn't be slowed down every time you came across a cobweb, but have it still play an important role in the game. Or instead of being nearly stopped in your tracks when going through a cobweb they could just make it to where the cobweb rips apart and floats to the ground when you go through it. That way the cobwebs did more than just look cool in the background.

2. GrimChaos

GrimChaos Tentacle Wrangler

Well said. :D

Axe Garian likes this.
  3. Mikeronomicon

Mikeronomicon Master Chief

You guys rule!

Axe Garian likes this.
  4. Ironside451

Ironside451 Void-Bound Voyager

Is there any chance of the beta coming out before summer is over or should i just stop hoping?

Balboa250 likes this.
  5. Karric

Karric Void-Bound Voyager

Leather comes from skinning and tanning......or machines you can have do it.

Textiles comes from combinations of plant fibres and animal hair mixed in different ratios for different textiles.

However one should always add a bling factor....and to me that would be that special mobs that you get leather or hairs from (definately call the hairs something else) can be added to add a special quality to the clothing.....weather it be allowing the clothes to be pin striped or plaid or have flashing bits on them or have a special no stick coating for those days where wading thru thousands of deziens of a dungeon is playing havok with your wardrobe.

I also think that clothing should NEVER replace armor....it may add with some resistances or help your jumping by being an anti grav/baloon shirt......but it shouldnt replace them.

Unless it is a startrek red shirt......you should attract death rays from other planets when you dare to wear that stuff.

Buried in page 13 lol

Axe Garian likes this.
  6. Glass_Chameleon

Glass_Chameleon Orbital Explorer

I've always liked how Linen is made from the Flax plant. So I'd really like to see Plant based fibers as fabric material.

Axe Garian and kodieatsyou like this.
  7. Annibell

Annibell Void-Bound Voyager

My concern with adding fabric to craft is that you already have SO MANY craftables and other items. If you continue to add them, then starbound might be overridden with too many things that take up too much space. If you continue to add items, are you going to insure that we can cary them ( as in, is there going to be enough spaces in inventory ). Other than that concern, I love the idea. Please continue to add more beautifully inspired items like these, the time and thought that goes into each of these items is what is really going to make this a great game.

Axe Garian likes this.
  8. Core

Core Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Harnessing the sun's energy to make a nice toasty jacket!

Or just wear a Novakid. But seriously, plants and animals like everyone else has said :wut:

Karric likes this.
  9. tominator

tominator Orbital Explorer

image.jpg

I knew it, sorry couldn't resist. Cotton is plant fiber as well.

Glass_Chameleon, Leak and Friendorpho like this.
  10. leax256

leax256 Space Penguin Leader

over 9000...but no seriously, it will probally be over 9000.

11. KLB

KLB Subatomic Cosmonaut

Might have been suggested, but I'll suggest it anyways.

If you kill a Floran, you should get dye.

That is all.

12. Riisez

Riisez Void-Bound Voyager

I kind of like the idea of growing my own cloth, cotton fiber and such. I wouldn't have to hunt it down that way. Maybe dropped by particular monsters.. but growing it sounds the best.

Axe Garian likes this.
  13. TheButterKnife

TheButterKnife Void-Bound Voyager

Theoretically fabric can be obtained from many things say 'space' sheep, 'space' cotton, 'space' spiders, 'space' worms and given the nature of a sci-fi, there can be many sources and combonations. The main thing is what would be required to take the bits and bobs you can acquire from various sources, and combine them into bolts, and finally clothing. Most likely a loom (Later replaced by a sort textile machine for higher level items) would most likely be required to get the material into a usable form, then (Depending on the amount of complexity required.) a sewing machine, or something similar.

Fabric isn't the only thing to consider though. Some shirts need nice buttons and a coat needs a zipper!

That's not including the possible concept of furs/hides being used in clothing as well, which may be a 'low tech' solution to cold regions, or for a players sense of aesthetic.

Random thought beyond "Mmmm... flowers."

Axe Garian likes this.
  14. Delta9Church

Delta9Church Subatomic Cosmonaut

You want my opinion, make clothing/costumes a trophy/status based system. My idea looks like this;
    Progression Based Clothing Craft

- 3-5 tiers of cloth, with can be found in treasures/loot in general, plus accessory pieces for each tier as well, which will be required for the crafting of items

- cloth can be salvaged from clothing/costumes you find/ crafted via silk, cotton,hemp, and perhaps some space plant can be used for a higher tier one. Fabric farming should not be easy, often yielding little to none.

- each article of clothing/costume is added to the list of craftables only after the player finds the pattern or plan for it, which should be rare, tier based, and cannot be traded or sold giving a player a drive to collect them all

- when the loot function decides you have received a plan it will then look at what plans you have already acquired and take them off the list of potential drops, ensuring the 1/10000 drop rate on that rare plan you just got isn't a double

- new clothing/costumes as often as needed to keep people hunting.

- Above all else, the hunt should not be easy, but while being slow to the point, always engaging and rewarding
    Thanks Kindly L Church ***edited for format and added a very key point.

Axe Garian likes this.
  15. Kirsten

Kirsten Pangalactic Porcupine

Fabrics should come from:
    • Spider or Worm type monsters (craftable into silks)
    • Wooly type monsters (craftable into wool-type fabrics)
    • Growable hemp or flax (craftable into plant-based fabrics)

This would increase the value of potentially less combat-savvy wooly and worm monsters you might come across, as well as grant players a method of farming their fabrics, which could potentially take longer to farm at home using a monster or crop (which has a sheering or silk collection cooldown, or growth periods) but would be available for convenience sake.

Axe Garian likes this.
  16. DamnDirtyApes

DamnDirtyApes Orbital Explorer

Just to add to this idea, you could also make a quest system in which you have to find certain items for your captive queens in order for them to make next level fabrics. That goes along with the communities want for tier based fabrics and clothing.

Axe Garian likes this.
  17. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

What if the Queen tricks you into feeding them something that makes them powerful enough to escape your Captivity? :p

Hey! Something just occurred to me! I wonder if Mindwurms spin any kinda Silk or Fabric...? What kinda substance would a Data-eating creature spin...? :idea:

18. Chiff

Chiff Void-Bound Voyager

Fabrics - Leathers, Silks, Flaxes, Wools, Sinews, Furs (Peta may not like that), Compound fibres, Holographic fibres.

Axe Garian likes this.
  19. rigapotato

rigapotato Aquatic Astronaut

August?
    [​IMG]

Core likes this.
  20. aventuresomething101

aventuresomething101 Void-Bound Voyager

fabric should be obtained by killing mobs with wool (or some with large amounts of fur) or by picking cotton