Dev Blog 16th February - Bless Big Ape

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Original Post
    ---

Hey everyone!

Supernorn's been drawing up some of the Solarium tier backer rewards. This energy pickaxe is a WIP, but it looks pretty awesome to me!

[​IMG]

And Necotho has been doing a second pass on Apex villages. Click for full-size! What do you think? :)

[​IMG]

'Til tomorrow <3

2. Gilligan Lanley

Gilligan Lanley Space Kumquat

Oooooh, shiney. As well, I really like that it's an actual village, and not just housing complexes for Apex. Yayifications!

3. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

ANIMATED WEAPONS, OH YES.

Not too fond of the pickaxe, but the idea is pretty cool.

Axe Garian likes this.
  4. Zetlin97

Zetlin97 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

wew second comment finally i got in fast

Also hooray for villages.

5. IEpicWolfI

IEpicWolfI Void-Bound Voyager

Novakids content when

toby109tt and -Kyohei- like this.
  6. cnlu

cnlu Scruffy Nerf-Herder

lightsaber-pickaxe?
    i have a suggestion at the apex village...could you make it more strict-looking place...you know with guard outposts, fences, cctvs....cause big ape was a reference to 1984 and it would be nice to make the apex look brainwashed...
    btw the updates are terrific...

7. Kelthazan

Kelthazan Pangalactic Porcupine

I dub the laser pick the Novapick, just for you. That and it probably used to be one.

8. DaedricShadow

DaedricShadow Pangalactic Porcupine

That Apex village is pretty surprising. I didn't expect to see them living in anything other than large apartment blocks designed for strict containment.

9. Chipppy

Chipppy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Are we approaching the next unstable update?

10. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

OOH! Will we be able to find issues of codxes containing nothing but newspeak, and things like "Victory-Bananas" and "Victory-Juice"

Heartstrings and Gilligan Lanley like this.
  11. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Is that a regular ol' pickaxe, or an activeitem pickaxe, molly? I've been anxiously awaiting activeitem pickaxes for a mod I am making, and this would be so exciting for me if it were an activeitem. :)

Please respond.

12. Akogishi

Akogishi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like the energy pickaxe a lot! Looks really good and the animation is nice. How does it compare with the fully upgraded MM? I see that the reach is pretty short. If its mining capabilities are greater than the MM but its drawbacks are its reach and that it takes up a hot bar spot, I approve. Also, are there plans for any additional "animated energy weapons" (ie 2H swords, axes, hammers...)?

Gilligan Lanley likes this.
  13. Myifee

Myifee Guest

Axe-on, axe-off. Axe-on, Axe-off.

Looking gooooood!

14. -Kyohei-

-Kyohei- Master Chief

Nice villages! i would be cool if you were an Apex, apex guards will attack you because u scapped

lemon flavoured likes this.
  15. Campaigner

It is an activeitem, yes. "items/active/weapons/melee/pickaxe/energypickaxe.activeitem"

Go nuts!

16. Phantaeon

Phantaeon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Am I one of the only people who dislikes the 80's side of the Apex? I'm just not into the whole... dictatorship.

Relten likes this.
  17. Activeitem! Don't quote me on this, but I think items and tools like this will probably be activeitems from now on.

18. LegendXCarisso

LegendXCarisso Pangalactic Porcupine

Maybe I fail to understand the inner workings of the game... but how would that even work? Couldn't anyone just "console" those "tiered backer reward" items into their inventory anyway? Last thing I want to see happen is players needing an "account" or some horrible thing like that.

19. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

hmmm.....i got some comments, and some questions

I like the new layout of the apex villages, mix up the houses with that of the appartments, probably redo the S T O R E too
    i also really like how your using background tiles to make buildings look bigger too, I never really thought of that when constructing buildings, gives them a lot more depth
    perhaps chucklefish is looking to redo other villages and locations too with that style in mind? it really works and makes locations look waaaay bigger.

Now the energy pickaxe, (i like the animation for it) is that a strictly unique item we find in the field, do we buy them, craft them, or is it a reward. I'm pondering this because it does seem to mine.....dirt, now
    • would it possibly double as both a mining tool and a weapon?
    • would it have a durability meter?
    • does it only come in that flavor of color?
    • would it be part of the upper tier mining tools for crafting/finding?
    • would this meaning that laser-mining tools (what i think would of been right after mining drills) is replaced with energy pickaxes?
    and finally......

would this...........be the catalyst to having ENERGY SWORDS..............and other EN based melee weapons...in the future......maybe

20. Campaigner

I may not be understanding the way the pickaxe is coded, but I can't figure out how to turn it into a melee weapon. I'm with GenoMech; this is a great start towards real energy weapons. I'm sure there will be a ton of lightsaber mods when this is easily translated to weapons, but still.

That's the point; their dictatorship is incredibly similar to Big Brother, which was horrible for people. Go read the novel 1984, and you'll (probably) have a better disposition towards them.
    The apex mission on the nightly is all about taking down the dictatorship. It's exciting.

Axe Garian likes this.