13 September Update

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by GeorgeV, Sep 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greenman

greenman Spaceman Spiff

When I first saw the text, I was like, "Oh my GAUD"

2. a10co

a10co Orbital Explorer

The text isn't very natural looking. I agree with the idea of making transport not possible till they have checked the locker, even if they choose not to take its contents. Typical players won't want the immersion ruined by this. This idea of disabling progression until at least finding required objectives/items is great; perhaps a tool-tip when moving ahead before we should: "Did you forget to check the locker? It looks like this..." or whatever is necessary for the given quest. This dignifies the player much more than "stupid-proofing" things. My sophisticated futuristic spaceship would never in a million years have three foot tall letters labeling everything.

3. Episoen

Episoen Void-Bound Voyager

Disabling the teleporter until you get the items from your locker sounds like the way to go for me. That in conjunction with a quest marker, maybe just highlighting the locker briefly.

Pinkie Pie likes this.
  4. Iphis

Iphis 2.7182818284590...

Nice update !!
    But please make an option to disable quest markers or anything that would help a lot and erase the discovery part cause not everyone want their game ruined by "follow the red light" then " quest done"
    Let the real gamers search by themselves ;)

Edge311 likes this.
  5. Sophisticated Mayhem

Sophisticated Mayhem Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like how this is the solution for people not reading. "Check your locker," yet they click spam through dialog and go to the planet. Next solution is they just dump everything on to your person when you spawn because "People just seem to walk right past the locker!" ;)

Anyway, not a horrible change. The text's a little big, which is odd considering how small the ship is. That said, I guess the locker and fuel things don't look like what you'd expect; they look like shutters on a window. Maybe if the locker looked more like a locker, and the fuel port look like a gas cap it would be more obvious?

DeadlyLuvdisc, zaus and Edge311 like this.
  6. Aaron

Aaron Void-Bound Voyager

I think some of the people here have some good ideas, but personally i do not like the idea of having the text stay there. that's the problem with todays modern gaming, no one is using better and sometimes genius ways to convey information to the player without holding their hand or making them read and learn about what to do before they do it. for those who know Egoraptors rant on Mega Man X on Youtube, or have seen Indie Game the Movie would understand.

Honestly, i think the best idea is to make the locker blink to stand out, and stop blinking after the player has used it for the first time.

Just hoping it looks a bit better than constant bulky text, keep up the good work team Chucklefish. :)

tassina and BlackMita like this.
  7. Diagnosan

Diagnosan Subatomic Cosmonaut

I find that text thoroughly unpleasant, but see why it might be necessary if you have no idea what you're doing due to being new to the game. Perhaps that version should only exist on tier 1 ships.

8. Tyrindor

Tyrindor Space Kumquat

I don't like it at all. It looks very out of place and I hope you guys do something different. Just make the first quest show you around your ship, with the last part showing you how to beam down. Simply don't allow characters to beam down until they've completed the ship tour quest. Also, make the interactable items glow during the intro quest.

Problem solved on multiple levels, and no more ugly giant text on our ships.

Edge311 likes this.
  9. shdwfrog

shdwfrog Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Instead of text, it could be possible to make it look more locker like. As the image for the ship locker is now, it blends in well with the ship, but maybe this is what makes it a little missable, maybe put a handle and grill into it, making it stand out more, provoking more interest from a player. Apart from that, putting the words of what they are above it does seem to scream... 'since you aren't smart enough to explore, we will make it painfully obvious what the different parts of the ship are' lol. Another possible solution could be to have an image pop up when you click accept for the quest that shows a picture of the ship, and text or arrows pointing to the components. This would make it to where newer players could see where to get the stuff, without having to add text to the graphics of the components. I would think coding an image to display until the player enters a button press or something would be easier than programming temporary arrows or quest markers.

tassina and Diagnosan like this.
  10. TheKeyLimit

TheKeyLimit Phantasmal Quasar

We're looking really good! Beta is almost here, i can smell it.

11. St. DicXkie

St. DicXkie Big Damn Hero

It looks really cool - it'd be even better if it could be toggled in the main options or something, but great work so far! :3

12. RadioFox

RadioFox Subatomic Cosmonaut

Maybe you could make it so you can't teleport until you get batteries which are in the locker?:catface2:

greenman likes this.
  13. JackAllan

JackAllan Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey, would it be hard to make the sign a separate item that you can remove/customize? Just start out with signs in those spots above your equipment, then let the PC remove them at their leisure. The sign can then be used in decoration. c:

14. Patdog11

Patdog11 Master Chief

I think that there should be a button that when you hold it down it tells you what each object is and when you release the button the names of the objects disappear.

tassina likes this.
  15. Leizar

Leizar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think it would be better to use signs that use simple icons than letters. Simple pictures, icons are much more universaly understood than letter signs. Look at real life road signs, warnings, labels etc. All those are simple pics. For example (images courtesy of google):
    Fuel
    [​IMG]

Locker
    [​IMG]

All you have to do is to figure out universal beam out sing :D
    [​IMG]

blind sniper likes this.
  16. BobdaBiscuit

BobdaBiscuit Big Damn Hero

Come on guys, design better tutorials or disable the teleporter until you get to the locker instead of making me want to gouge my eyes out.
    Some of us just want to play and explore on our own.
    While you're at it you may aswell add this:
    thisisbait.jpg

Attached Files:

17. MrPapaya

MrPapaya Space Spelunker

"Thats me in the spot..light, loosing my religion, trying to keep up with you."
    Please dont make this signs or if you have to make them a toggleable option or something like that

18. greenman

greenman Spaceman Spiff

You know this might be a bit much. But suddenly I'm confused.. I've never looked close enough to notice before, but, what exactly is that giant circle in the background? It's like some mammoth, chipless, cookie or something

clevernamegoeshere likes this.
  19. Lusid

Lusid Pangalactic Porcupine

My suggestion regarding this would be instead of making the locker seem like a disposal unit, or a laundry chute (especially with the down arrow on it, that's what i thought at first) maybe make it look like a locker? The text kinda bothers me since it's the only thing on the ship labeled. Or since you have an overabundance of coders and are struggling to find artists for the team (oh wait) maybe in the quest log for "get your shit out of the locker" have a picture of the locker.

Good to see though that the data collected from letting people play your game is still being useful and giving you insight on what you should be focusing on. Here's hoping something like that happens again, maybe on a wider scale. One or two games in the past have done so, and with good results.

TheLittleBrownDog and eSmokefish like this.
  20. Supagriff

Supagriff Astral Cartographer

Honestly, I absolutely love the text just the way it is. I like the screen flicker as well. It's awesome!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.