13 September Update

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by GeorgeV, Sep 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benjabby

Benjabby Title Not Found

Feel like the "beam" text should be beneath the beamy device not above it, because the windo makes it look kind of odd

2. SquarelyCircle

SquarelyCircle Cosmic Narwhal

Solution: Make the sign a separate object from the locker so that it can be removed. Then... allow the text on it to be customized. People would kill for a marquee that they could post anywhere. Especially if it looked like that. :D

Graphically, I like it, except the beam sign. It is placed over the window. It seems like it should be under or on the beam pad.

edit: Ninja'd by Benjabby xD.

zaus, Quetz21, tassina and 1 other person like this.
  3. Hinaichigo

Hinaichigo Big Damn Hero

You could have it so you can't beam down until you click on the locker or get the items out of the locker and once you do the text goes away. same with anything else. Once you use it the first time the text is gone.

4. Cyral

Cyral Title Not Found

Was just about to say the same thing, this would indeed work better in my opinion.

5. restredainted

restredainted Phantasmal Quasar

You could have at least Tagged your Edit.
    It annoys me when people post like 5 words then just edit their post to add whatever after they've actually read the post.
    Thanks for listening. ^^

6. Chevron664

Chevron664 Void-Bound Voyager

why not just make a teleporter part or something in the locker... that way the player has to at least open the locker and take that usable item out to make the teleporter work

Symmenix likes this.
  7. Amerikaner

Amerikaner Scruffy Nerf-Herder

How about that BETA u devs promised at end of summer and NOTHING.

Sunako_Kirishiki likes this.
  8. Bahdler

Bahdler Astral Cartographer

dead on. No point in overdoing it. Even if the first step isnt super easy, it is a lesson people would only learn one time.

Krono and Symmenix like this.
  9. Soup

Soup Giant Laser Beams

I think all that text looks out of place. Using objective markers or just showing images of the ship parts in the tutorial quest would be much preferrable.

blind sniper, tassina and anyMany like this.
  10. BobTD

BobTD Astral Cartographer

Someone probably already thought of this but oh well.

I think maybe having a light switch that turns off the text on the ships locker/beam/fuel stations would be nice. The switch would allow players to disable what is essentially tutorial text if it bothered them or made decorating less enjoyable.

I like the text right now, and it is a very simple solution to over eager players not identifying objects that are somewhat essential.

11. DrBomb

DrBomb Yeah, You!

I don't like the beam and fuel texts, locker is fine but too much text feels a bit off and a vibe of not owning your ship

12. Brimcon

Brimcon Void-Bound Voyager

Honestly? No, Please do not implement this. It looks out of place, especially on the Glitch ship like that. Go with a tool-tip, highlight or a quest marker system. Having big glowing text makes it seem like more of a joke than anything else. This isn't Vegas after all.

13. Guadeno

Guadeno Orbital Explorer

1. The tooltip should only appear when you hover it with the mouse
    or 2. Make an option to turn tooltips like that on/off

tassina likes this.
  14. DangoBaLiL

DangoBaLiL Master Chief

What about a hologram :0

tassina likes this.
  15. Minnigin

Minnigin Phantasmal Quasar

In my opinion a tutorial would suffice. I don't like the text signs but like I said that's my opinion.

Sunako_Kirishiki likes this.
  16. ChadWicky

ChadWicky Void-Bound Voyager

The word "beta" was used twice in the update, so I think it's safe to say that beta will be in 2 days.

17. Sower

Sower Big Damn Hero

Hmm, I think it looks pretty bad overall. If it was a temporary thing it'd be fine (for the tutorial), but it feels like a big departure from the previous minimalistic approach. Once people initially learn where where the locker/teleportation/fuel stations are there's really no need for the labels. It's fairly inconsistent too, as the ship travel chair isn't labeled as well (which I imagine will confuse people since the other three areas are obvious now).

The locker/fuel stations aren't centered within their perspective backgrounds either, which is why the beam station looks better in comparison (to me anyway).

/opinion (kind of harsh, sorry)

edit: I do like the new location of the beam station. :p

18. darkshinon

darkshinon Space Spelunker

maybe you should make it so that the text is only there until they complete the quest to get their stuff, that or when they mouse over the (ex)locker, it will say locker in the that text you put in the update. you could also go for a bioshock infinte type of deal where the locker is glowing until you open it and find your stuff. i don't think you should make it too easy, cause i think most of the fun with these types of games is discovering things for yourself. it might be a little frustrating when you cant find the locker, but when you find it, you'll have the satisfaction that YOU find it. there could also be the option of turning hints on/off for players that like discovering and those who are straight forward.

tassina likes this.
  19. mooncats5

mooncats5 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm really not feeling the texty look... It's fine for starting out, but once we actually start decorating the ship I imagine it'll start to look a bit obnoxious. Someone suggested either having the locker blink or having an icon/screenshot of the locker in the quest text - I think that would be a much better approach. Once we know what items do and how they work then we really wouldn't need these visuals.

I also really prefer the beam pad behind the control panel where it was... it kinda takes up real estate all the way back there. I think it's better being in its own dedicated little nook. But like you said, it's all testing and subject to change! I'm sure you guys will figure out something. <3

20. Pho3nix

Pho3nix Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Something both visually pleasing and functional for this purpose? Why not have like the text show up as a hologram above the object whenever your character walks near it? I think maybe getting a repair tool to fix the teleporter from the locker is also a good idea

Lord Hatty likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.