12/10/13 Patch Notes

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Dec 11, 2013.

1. DreadWolf7

DreadWolf7 Subatomic Cosmonaut

It seems that birds are able to send you flying and have far to many ways to cause a lot of damage early on. Weapon changes now seem well seeing as I have spent more time then ever dieing I would say the weapons are now to weak to handle a level 1 planet.

I couldn't tell you if the armor has been fixed to reduce damage at this point but before this last patch it was hardly a help. Shields well before this last patch they did nothing I couldn't block any attacks or they reduced one damage...
    I had no issues with the old way of things but the new balance system and weapons are at this stage not cutting it and making playing the game more of a chore then it should be.

I am not saying a game should be easy all the time I am only saying that in a starting world you shouldn't die 4 times in under a minute it just tends to put one off.

Any chance we could see a return to the 100 level system? I don't know about others but for me it felt more balanced and wasn't that hard to figure out. Maybe all it needed was a handbook in the ship that explained how armor and weapons worked?

vanella, dollvader, Suraku and 5 others like this.
  2. panderp19

panderp19 Orbital Explorer

XP is now back to being broke? I thought this was fixed?

3. TheNowPanic

TheNowPanic Intergalactic Tourist

nice, let's have fun again.

4. Whiplashr

Whiplashr Space Penguin Leader

Any chance of customizable keys soon?

I realize that doing them via in game interface would be more work. But you already have a system to parse .ini files for in game variables, such as volume level, rseolution, etc. It should be very little work to add a section for hotkeys and let us modify them in the .ini file. I am a programmer so I know that you can do this easily. You have the groundwork in place already to have these as variables in the .ini file.

Please, this is really bothersome for many of us.

Autohotkey is a less than ideal solution. I personally get missed keys and stuck keys, quite often. I'm not sure if there is some trick to "tune" autohotkey to work better. But as it stands, it's less than ideal. Far less. It sucks to die because you get a stuck key or a menu pops up that shouldn't, because autohotkey burped and let one through unchanged.

Also, please look into the issue with the game resetting/turning off mics for some of us with USB headsets. I actually wanted to record a video for this game this week, but currently cannot. The game just kills my mic input completely. Often when I travel to ship and back, or during sort of "lag spikes" where the game is doing massive disk activity. Or music transitions. Many of us are now reporting this issue. It's not our systems. I've been using the headset for over a year and made hundreds of videos and tons of streams without this ever happening.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    dollvader likes this.
  5. sil3nst

sil3nst Void-Bound Voyager

apparently... doesnt make any sense. also birds need to be nerfed and theres a problem with merchants appearing naked with nothing to sell. i wish i could revert to just before this patch..

vanella, Angelus.Nox and Suraku like this.
  6. pixelmage

pixelmage Aquatic Astronaut

Yeah we really need a way to delete characters, and maybe copy and rename as well?

Angelus.Nox likes this.
  7. benjimeister

benjimeister Space Hobo

Hi it seem like armor made from Dursteel for humans is missing? (v. annoyed koala)

8. DiBBz

DiBBz Big Damn Hero

apparently you need a creature capture cage witch you then need to craft something from that in order to tame a pet

9. youngjoon

youngjoon Void-Bound Voyager

Hi devs,

Wanted to confirm that this is true for me too. My 6667 DPS 2-h hammer is down to a respectable 27 DPS now.

Thanks for all your hard work, game is looking great!

Angelus.Nox likes this.
  10. Wolfbanes

Wolfbanes Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Calm your horses. Things are going to be broken, they're working to fix it. They said this would happen and you guys need to learn to be patient.

11. steveman0

steveman0 Phantasmal Quasar

Well crap I guess I should throw out that sword I crafted. I could have really used that iron for something else :( Oh well, I'll find more :)

12. ClockworkMidnight

ClockworkMidnight Big Damn Hero

I can't create a new character, it crashes when i try.

13. Kellanved

Kellanved Master Chief

Oh yes, a way to remap keys would be absolutely fantastic, I've already made a forum thread about it but I may as well mention it again. As a leftie it's very awkward to play this game with the current controls. If it's too hard to make keys re-mappable can you at least make an alternate control scheme using the arrow keys? Allowing lefties like me to use the mouse on the left of the keyboard and my right hand more comfortable on the number keys rather than awkwardly held across my body trying to hit space with my pinkie every time I need to jump? That too would be awesome.

Biidi likes this.
  14. yvolcarn

yvolcarn Space Penguin Leader

I don't seem to be having the problem with ground monsters everyone else is, I just started a new human and they seem pretty weak. I found a nifty spear with 5 damage per hit and it take 5-6 hits to kill them, while they seem to do only 3-8 damage to me per hit. I haven't encountered a birds yet though, so I can't attest to that. There is, as I think Tiy said, a vast overpopulation of ore. I picked up 58 pieces of iron from the surface, before I crafted my forge. The iron crafted weapons do seem weak though, they are pretty much sidegrades to the starter weapon. The hunting knife is the best iron weapon at the moment, which seems strange to me.

Edit: I found some birds today. They wreck face. :( They do almost six times as much damage per hit as comparable ground enemies. Also, coal is unreasonably rare. I don't know if i'll be able to get enough to get off the planet AND make torches for underground exploration.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  15. sil3nst

im not losing my shit over it, though they should have seriously done their own testing of this before releasing it. caused more problems than it solved.

vanella likes this.
  16. panderp19

panderp19 Orbital Explorer

What I don't understand is why someone who wasn't a developer was able to change one file and make the game work, and all Tiy and the other developers only seem to do is just make things worse. They couldn't have just imported that file? I've been nothing short of understanding, but this is beginning to become, quite frankly, just plain sad.

vanella likes this.
  17. krapmyself

krapmyself Void-Bound Voyager

Huh, Starbound won't play now for some reason.

18. sil3nst

im guessing theyll rush out another patch tomorrow. oh well, i was having fun today with the previous update then this crap came along.

vanella and Angelus.Nox like this.
  19. core_blaster

core_blaster Master Chief

The iron ore seems to be a bit too rare... is this just me or am I an impatient gamer? :unsure:

also, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this... if not, then sorry.

vanella, Aghork and Mikerlantz like this.
  20. Patriarchy

Patriarchy Poptop Tamer

The armor issue is one that I feel is just a major sticking point.

I'm trying to have fun playing a sandbox game, not a bullet hell shooter. One wrong move and I get hit and...

*tadpole again*

vanella and Angelus.Nox like this.