11 June Progress

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Filipfonky

Filipfonky Cosmic Narwhal

It's the ingame workbench
    -There's a signature under your post, for a reason

2. loofou

loofou Aquatic Astronaut

Problem is: Publishers make enough money with the same old shit, because they know people will buy another shooter. They don't need to risk anything, but that means they are no "new" games, too. Games like Watch Dogs or Beyond Two Souls come from Devs that had the money before their Publisher approved the idea. They could have made the game nonetheless, even if it would not be as big and pretty. And THAT is the problem in my oppinion: Funding. There are so many people with good ideas out there that lack the money to turn them into games. Publishers don't want to give support to some risky ideas. Fundraising and pre-ordering (like Starbound) works for some indies, but you have to have luck and not many indies have that luck.

AdenSword and Lost in Nowhere like this.
  3. Makkadull

Makkadull Master Chief

Awesome news! looking good i have to say! *Fingers crossed Starbound will come to Wii U in the future* otherwise i guess i'm sticking to my beloved PC :))

NikoTwiPie likes this.
  4. *Teo

*Teo Big Damn Hero

ermahgerd big update is big and awesome and pretty and stuff :giggle:

AdenSword likes this.
  5. AllenKS

AllenKS Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Watch Dogs is made by Ubisoft's first party developer Ubisoft Montreal. They created, and published this game through internal funding. It's a new game that they decided to make and publish all on their own, just like Starbound did. There is no "evil Publishers" saying no to them in this case. Tom Clancy's The Divison is also made by in-house developers Ubisoft Massive, published by Ubisoft. Bungie entered a ten year publishing deal with Activision before they had any games or game ideas. Destiny is a their first project that was started AFTER the deal was already signed. Respawn Entertainment was started by the former founders of Infinity Ward that left the company after being fired by Activision. Shortly after leaving Activision, they got funding from EA through their EA partners program to produce games. Destiny is their first game under their new flag, funded by EA before there was even a game.

In none of these scenarios was there an overbearing publisher not letting a company publish the game they wanted to make unless it was already halfway done. All of these games are innovative in their own rights, and are only similar in that they have guns in them (Starbound has guns too. Get some new ideas Chucklefish..) All of these games are AAA games created by big publishers that push the new hardware, and create the software to facilitate new experiences.

These are not the only examples of games like this, and "publishers" are not some nebulous evil blob of innovation crushing moneybags that seems to be echoed throughout every single Kotaku article or indie dev blog post that you read these days, and the games they make should really stop being unfairly judged just because they look more like Call of Duty than Journey.

I love video games, and I'm looking forward to playing all of the great new games being made this year. Indie or otherwise.

6. Hooveh

Hooveh Scruffy Nerf-Herder

[EDIT] I took such a long time typing this that the post is actually outdated! Oops!

I believe that Tiy was commenting on how the new consoles are not allowing new hardware-related gameplay mechanics. The only primary console-creating company (as far as I know) that is currently "trying" to create new hardware is Nintendo, which is doing a very poor job at it, in my opinion.

If you look at it, the Xbox One and PS4 aren't that different when compared to their older counterparts. Better graphics and increased framerate don't give more options to game developers who are looking for something new.

Honestly, half the things you just said about those who are bashing this years' E3 don't even apply to what Tiy said. The only truly game-related thing that he said was when he commented on how he's "tired of playing the same old games over and over again," which was still relevant to his point, which was that the new consoles are not using new technology.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful in any way. I see your point, and in many cases, it's perfectly legitimate. I just

find it a bit too harsh for the instance you're using it in.

[Disclaimer: I am not a fanboy to Tiy only. I can confirm that I often blindly defend Gabe Newell, Nintendo, and several overrated YouTube channels that play video games and laugh at their own jokes for a living]

[Serious disclaimer: I'm actually quite skeptical to those who insult the game industry as a whole. I just find that Tiy's comment on it was fairly subtle, compared to what I normally hear about E3. Also, I'm not actually a fanboy]

Endless Rain and AdenSword like this.
  7. DiscontentWithTheSystem

DiscontentWithTheSystem Big Damn Hero

Watch dogs looks fun. Titanfall and Destiny seem like generic CoD and Halo clones respectively (not surprising considering that previous IW devs are making TF and Bungie is making Destiny), and The Division just looks like a grey-brown cover shooter to me.

AdenSword likes this.
  8. AllenKS

AllenKS Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Oh, if that's really what he meant, then my bad.

I thought it was another one of those AAA games do nothing new, while Indie developers make excellent innovative innovation experiences of art and innovation-styled posts and saw red. Those irk me to no end.

In the case of them just not doing anything new hardware wise, this is pretty true I suppose. They do have some stuff such as the Kinect 2.0, Sony's Eye Camera thing and the new iteration of Playstation Move though, but yeah, no one wants to do anything with those aside from like "Shout into it, and your guy will actually blow his nose!"..

Then again, we have stuff like the Illumi-room and the Oculus Rift coming out. Other than that, it's kinda hard to just randomly think of brand new ways to make a character jump on the screen without pressing a button that doesn't involve completely unnecessary effort. Faster and larger hardware unlocks a lot of AI and environmental effects that you can't really see at work as well. Where as you could have a 100 person crowd in a PS3 game, a PS4 game might have that same 100 person crowd, but now the NPCs will actually react and interact with the player in a way that was not possible before.

When you can't think of "new" hardware, "better" hardware isn't such a terrible way to go.

AdenSword likes this.
  9. Loria Cesaille

Loria Cesaille Big Damn Hero

I love you and agree with you 100%

I think ultimately people's tastes change and that's all there is to it, I mean, what's the difference between me, someone who likes both 'AAA' games and 'indie' games and someone who no longer cares for those 'AAA' games?

E3 has made me very, very excited and optimistic.

AdenSword likes this.
  10. Zamokun

Zamokun Void-Bound Voyager

Hi Tiy why dont you guys use symbols instead of the whole word??
    like a greed drop for poison and a flame for fire i find that it wouldn't take up as much room
    and would be more appealing to the eye

Sethusk likes this.
  11. Filipfonky

Tiy said that it's going to be easy to create our own buffs and debuffs.
    Think about it, if you don't see the name, but just a weird symbol, how are you going to understand what it is?
    That symbol logic works only with the ordinary fire, ice, electricity, poison, etc etc. Not with Electromagnetic Decomposition, for example.

AdenSword likes this.
  12. KernelPanic

KernelPanic Phantasmal Quasar

Hey Tiy, I think you should anti-alias/less pixelate the aurora borealis. Just like the beams of the sun going under. That isn't that pixelated as the rest. I think it would look a lot prettier that way. ;)

13. Filipfonky

Pixelated graphics is the game's artstyle.

AdenSword likes this.
  14. Trixmay988

Trixmay988 Space Penguin Leader

Mmmm... Nudity :) But on a side note, WHY THE HELL WASN'T STARBOUND AT E3!? I was hoping for someone to post Starbound E3 videos on YouTube. :(

15. Shadowyc

Shadowyc Void-Bound Voyager

How would Electromagnetic Decomposition even work...
    Would we...would we just collapse into a pile of atoms at some point?

Edit: Unrelated, but why does my thing say Master Chief under the name?

16. Filipfonky

I don't know, I made that up to show how symbols would not work with complex debuffs.

By making many posts, you get names under your nickname.
    I know, they're horrible.

17. Shadowyc

Shadowyc Void-Bound Voyager

Oh, okay. Thanks. :p

18. KookyKeronian

KookyKeronian Parsec Taste Tester

This update... :megusta:

19. DiscontentWithTheSystem

DiscontentWithTheSystem Big Damn Hero

Actually, certain amounts of trophy points give you special titles. You have 117, so your title is Master Chief (Master Chief's name is John-117).

20. fallingorbit

fallingorbit Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Any update that includes nudity is a good update in my book.