10th June – Sunsettings!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Necotho, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Logic dicates that desert tortoises should be a thing. And not all of a small size, since some species of tortoise can grow to large sizes.

Sadiesaur likes this.
  2. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Nibolas O Anelbozas Spaceman Spiff

Thanks, but is just that i hate to see people i do like and care passing through problems...they're not even my problems but i feel awful to see my friends sad

3. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

All that is required for planets to be enjoyable now is unique colors. I want my pink lush planets and my red snow planets again, darn it!

4. NaniRoxy

NaniRoxy Subatomic Cosmonaut

Something that always bothered me a tad was how the skies stayed clear when it rained or stormed. Do you guys plan on adding cloudy weather options as well? Nothing would be more atmospheric then having dark storm clouds overhead when the lighting flashed.

5. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

That would be cool. I know the devs said early on that monsters would evolve. Captured pets evolve into bigger forms when they level up, but the system is finicky right now (they revert to normal when summoned again).

By the way, all of the critters have spawn parameters that say where and when they spawn. For example a critter on a forest planet might spawn like this:
    Aggressive: No
    Area: Underground
    Region: Enclosed
    Time: Night

You can see all the current critter spawn parameters in Kawa's Nightly diff here. (Ctrl+F for spawnParameters)

I will likely make a wiki page soon that has a list of all the critters and when/where they spawn.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    DragonsForce, shannyxvx and Kawa like this.
  6. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

i don't really wanna be "THAT" guy but, does anyone feel seeing earth like critters next to alien monsters on planets a little jarring? maybe instead, alien critters.

I'm just imagining

"oh look its a pretty bird.............awwww a cute bunny......oh and whats OH GAWD!!! AHHHHHHH!!!! ITS KILLING ME!!!! ARRRRGH!!!!! *LOST SIGNAL*

Godbot, Sadiesaur and IcyLucario like this.
  7. Varixai

I posted a picture of all the current critters and where they spawn. As you can see, they have alien critters that spawn on alien planets.

Maybe you're talking about earth-like critters for a forest planet, when that forest planet has larger monsters that look "alien"? If so, well that may be the case sometimes, but they are reworking monster visuals as well. There will be more monsters that look earth-like, even if they may be dinosaurs. They are making monster colors and other things match their biomes/planets a little better, so you will have more of that separation soon.

*EDIT 1* - 3 new critters added in Wednesday night's build. All alien types. Pictures in my news update tomorrow.

Edit 2 - No blog on Thursday but here are the 3 new alien critters:

[​IMG]

Grass Seeds and Flowery Grass Seeds can now be bought at the outpost Terramart! Normal grass seeds are 10 pixels and the flowery ones are 20.

The seeds are considered throwable items. Basically you throw a handful of seeds out, which can grow grass on 3-5 tiles. Each throw uses up 1 "bag" that costs 10 pixels.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    tomatelopes, greenRAM and shannyxvx like this.
  8. alexmepr

alexmepr Void-Bound Voyager

I would love it if the lighting would be affected by the color of the star the planet is orbiting. I always found it weird for the sky to be yellow when the planet was orbiting a red star.

9. Akogishi

Akogishi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

lightning bugs!

Sadiesaur and tomatelopes like this.
  10. Xsoldier123

Xsoldier123 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Pleased giraffe hype! Whoop! Whoop! Whoop!

11. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

Where there's sunsets, there's Dawns.

And these are the first two things that came to my mind when I saw the picture:

Morning Mood and William Tell Overture:The Prelude.

Look how well they go with it. If you guys make another showcase video, you should definitely start with one of those songs playing as dawn rises.

I was like "Namek".

tomatelopes likes this.
  12. Slapchop

Slapchop Poptop Tamer

These devs are so flippin amazing! I mean it :nod: I love their perpetual dedication to making this game better, even if it's the little things. You guys are the best!!

Sadiesaur likes this.
  13. IcyJack

IcyJack Aquatic Astronaut

I hope they eventually get around to rebalancing craftable weapons, especially the Novakids'.
    I am really glad development picked up again, though.:notworthy:

Slapchop likes this.
  14. The Items Merchant.

The Items Merchant. Void-Bound Voyager

Well, You're always there for them, I'm sure.

You clearly care about them, so one thing I'd reccomend, that usually works for me, is Identifying the problem.

It can mean figuring out what your options are for helping/dealing with them, (even if it's just being there for another,)

And finding a way to solve the problem. It may take some time, but it works.

I'm sorry if i seem a bit too concerned, I just can't walk by if i can help someone in some sense.

And to keep this comment about the page it's on, Naniroxy's idea about
    sky-filling clouds appearing when it's raining, or thundering, sounds perfect. And the idea of rain during twilight sounds
    particularly appealing.
    P.S. even if they aren't your problems, you can still affect the people having them. Take care.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    DragonsForce likes this.
  15. NaturalHighPenguin

NaturalHighPenguin Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks for the more detailed view of the critters. I don't know why (just kidding, I know exactly why), but it bothers me that the snail's house is backwards. You could justify it by saying "it's an alien snail, duh!", but the other animals seem very earthlike too... So I suggest either completely changing the house into something alienlike and strange or just reversing the direction of the existing one. :)

With that said, I'm very excited about the next stable update! *v*

Varixai likes this.
  16. celade

celade Void-Bound Voyager

just gets cooler and prettier! thanks guys!

17. IcyLucario

IcyLucario Subatomic Cosmonaut

Am I the only one bugged by this? Its SPACE. SPACE! Not earth, earth isn't even around anymore, unless it exploded out animals to free fly in space.. If we right now in real life we found life on another planet and it was a frog, EXACTLY like earths- Would that make sense? NO!
    It should be that every planet has a set "type" You find planets with alien creatures (That are normal, to the aliens, but not us) a good 5 creatures per "type". And earth would be part of the "types".
    [DOUBLEPOST=1434004695][/DOUBLEPOST]Finding and EXACT copy of a earth creature millions of light years away makes about as much sense as finding a literal living whale in your house when you come home from work.

Even if it looks like earth, finding creatures we know there just isn't right.

Godbot likes this.
  18. Varixai

1. I think you should take a deep breath. (and remember you can edit your posts instead of double posting)

2. You are seeing a very small part of the whole picture. They started with Earth critters because they knew exactly what they were going to look like, which made them easier and faster to do. Now they are focusing on making alien critters. As I noted in my post earlier on this page (and which I'll quote below), there are already alien types that spawn on more alien oriented planets. And they are adding a lot more. They added 3 more alien critters an hour before your post.
    I report on changes from each day's work. Nothing I talked about is in its final form, that's why those features are on the Nightly and not Stable. By definition, they are not finished yet.

Dunto, Tamorr, tomatelopes and 2 others like this.
  19. fiscure1

fiscure1 Void-Bound Voyager

It should vary from planet to planet. they may just make it what ever kind of sun the planet is orbiting and what type of planet it is.

20. dropdead

dropdead Big Damn Hero

Very pretty. What has bothered me for quite some time is the night. It seems bloody long to me. I've never stopped the time and I guess night and day are equally long, but somehow it's often dark on planets for me. Maybe more time for dawn instead of boom - pitch black?

NaturalHighPenguin likes this.