Dev Blog 1.0.4 - Changelog

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Can you say novakid village?

2. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Novakid ASTROID SETTLEMENT...

No, apparently not...

3. Voyager

Voyager Spaceman Spiff

So there will always be an unstable. Really!?

4. SamuFinland

SamuFinland Phantasmal Quasar

So that means the cat ghosts can't hurt me while their eye is closed?
    Cool.

5. Crise

Crise Subatomic Cosmonaut

How about restore the original DirectX renderer they used to ship the game with alongside OpenGL. The problem isn't that users computers are obsolete, it is that Chucklefish sold a game giving out blatantly false information about its current hardware compatability and last I checked that has yet to be addressed at all and as such they continue to do so even now.

You can't blame people with old hardware buying the game if every retail outlet falsely claims the game to be compatible with that kind of hardware. Also, when a consumer buys a game or any particular piece of software the reasonable expectation is for said software to keep functioning on their machine for the foreseeable future. So I don't see how exactly you can try to shift the blame entirely on the user when Chucklefish definitely has not addressed the situation to the best of their ability.

6. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

If you read Metadept's response above, he plainly says why: It seems Steam is actually the culprit; they do not "allow" someone to list OpenGL-only specs. As for why not DirectX, again, maybe this new more optimized engine just plain requires OGL for some reason or another. The Glad Giraffe DirectX-based Engine was sooooooo slooooooow. It took forever to load and it had less than half the FPS 1.0 has. Why would you wanna go back to that? Why not get your computer OGL-ready instead of complaining about the lack of DX? Nearly any graphics system capable of DX9 should run OGL2 as said above. It's more a matter of learning how to set it up if it isn't already.

Since they will continue to develop the game, there will always be the Unstable branch.

Unstable is basically a preview of the next Stable, a kind of Beta Tester's build that you can piddle around with to help them find bugs and other problems. As long as there will be a "next stable", there will always be an Unstable "preview" of it.

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  7. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

OMG thank you!

8. OrbitalChili

OrbitalChili Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Problem is, plenty of people were able to use OpenGL before.

OpenGL alone, is not the problem for most of the people reporting issues only since 1.0 - it's the Visual Studio C++ 2015 requirement.

The latter is simply not an option for a lot for a convolution of reasons, some of it being the fault of Windows Updates not working right.

Reasons we probably thought the developers learned last year when they first tried it and it failed miserably.

Pingeh likes this.
  9. Megumin

Megumin Guest

FIX GODDAMN LONG CHAT ERROR, ITS <censored> Annoying

10. Crise

Crise Subatomic Cosmonaut

Then they could edit the store description, doesn't excuse the fact that currently customers have incorrect information about the game. As for my computer, it is perfectly capable of playing 1.0... my issue is not with the game or even their decision to change the system requirements (although I do believe it was a poor choice on their part to go into early access with DirectX renderer if they had any intention of not launching with it as an option) but rather how they (Chucklefish) chose to deal with the matter or lack thereof as far as I am concerned.

So add a note to the store page, using the description if nothing else, you have the ability to do that at least.

11. Ky Shishigami

Ky Shishigami Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks so much for the GUI fixes!