Comments on Profile Post by Melissia

1. The Treasure Ship
    The Treasure Ship
    Alton Brown would approve of this message.

By the by, I agree with two of the previous commenters here. Your avatar is fantastic, and what led me here in the first place. I'll be sure to tell it's artist the same!
    Dec 17, 2012
  2. Melissia
    Melissia
    :D Glad you will! He's a good friend of mine.
    Dec 17, 2012
  3. The Treasure Ship
    The Treasure Ship
    Quite a talented friend from the look of his dA page. There's some nice stuff, there.

Oh, since you seem like a pretty level headed Homestuck RPer, where would you recommend a fan of similar temperament go to roleplay?
    Dec 17, 2012
  4. Melissia
    Melissia
    I... honestly don't know. Most of my roleplaying is in the Fantasy Flight Games series of 40k roleplays, White Wolf's roleplays, and DnD3.5 and later.

I've never found a very good Homestuck roleplay.
    Dec 17, 2012
  5. The Treasure Ship
    The Treasure Ship
    That is very disappointing, but not altogether surprising. My though, that is good taste in gaming! I mostly play Pathfinder, but it's hard to beat the wealth of content available in 3.5. Sad to say though, I've never tried the 40k RP.

Ah well. If you ever need a Homestuck RP fix, remember me!
    Dec 17, 2012
  6. Melissia
    Melissia
    The 40k roleplays are very good, and quite varied.

They uses a simple d100 system in everything except for damage (which uses d10s), consistently throughout all of the FFG games. Combat is often decided by who can get themselves in a situation where they maximize their modifiers and minimize their enemy's, since people can die very easily and the game has... infamous critical hit charts.
    Dec 17, 2012
  7. Melissia
    Melissia
    They use. not uses. Derp. Was editing before I posted and didn't catch that.
    Dec 17, 2012
  8. Melissia
    Melissia
    In Dark Heresy more than the others (whoi have more durable/capable combatants), however, it's more important what you do outside of combat than what you do inside-- avoiding combat or setting it up so that it is singularly one-sided is usually the best idea instead of trying to slug it out.

DH is an investigative themed game though, so that is only to be expected. And that's why people stil play it.
    Dec 17, 2012
  9. The Treasure Ship
    The Treasure Ship
    Hmm, sounds like something I might introduce to my group then. Thank you very much for taking the time to explain it. Does Dark Heresy mind you at all of Call of Cthulhu, or is that just me grasping for familiarity?
    Dec 17, 2012
  10. Melissia
    Melissia
    Actually that isn't a bad comparison. FFG's 40k games have two meters, insanity and corruption, which can result in, well, insanity obviously, but also mutation. And for both of them, if they get to 100, you lose control of your character and lose the game. And there's remarkably few ways to reduce either one.
    Dec 17, 2012
  11. Melissia
    Melissia
    There are ways to reduce (but not remove) the impact of insanity-inducing events (fearlessness, for example, helps you ignore insanity from mundane horrors) and corruption inducing events (much harder to do than insanity), though.

They were removed in the latest game, Only War, to my amusement.
    Dec 17, 2012
  12. The Treasure Ship
    The Treasure Ship
    Even better! I hope I can convince a few friends to try it out. They're already afraid to play CoC with me, and the inclusion of Tyranids couldn't possibly help.

Thank you again for explaining a little of the FFG 40k game to me, and putting up with all of my questions.
    Dec 17, 2012