Your death and being a ghost

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Svarr Chanston, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Svarr Chanston

Svarr Chanston Cosmic Narwhal

I posted this up in another thread that was not mine, but I think it's a good enough idea to make a thread... So check this out!

--------------
    Why not be a ghost when you die and go to your dead body and pay an angel or daemon for a resurrection and body healing? Doing so will take time however once you pay them (or write an IOU note which they will come to collect on later double price?)

When you die your ghost is only allowed to be close to your body, and you cannot go too far without a fog preventing your wandering... to boot, some spirits will try to take control of your body instead (yoink!) and you must keep them out by fighting them off with your spirit powers. (inherited from death, but if you learn magick while alive this makes it much easier to keep them out while the angel or daemon heals and resurrects you with time)

Edit: If your body IS taken over by a spirit, keep bashing it out or it'll try to do something you would not enjoy... like kill itself over again. (if you watch what happens, maybe something cool will happen too by chance? sidequest idea)

It's a far out idea, but something fun to work on. X3

2. Eta

Eta Pangalactic Porcupine

I like the idea, but I think players would want their death to be swift, so they can continue what they were doing. I know World of Warcraft uses this system, but you don't die very often in that game (UNLESS A FREAKIN' HORDE DECIDES TO CAMP YOUR BODY...ahem...). I think a simple system of respawning at your ship does the job fine. I dunno, it just doesn't feel right to be a ghost in this game :S Maybe we can have ghosts as mobs o.o They would be immune to physical damage, but vulnerable to light and stuff.

Svarr Chanston likes this.
  3. nic329

nic329 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i enjoy some of the sub ideas here (body taken over when you die) but i have to agree more with Eta. if you die working on a project, you really just want to get back to what you where doing., Also i can think of several ways to die that getting your body back is impossible (lava) or doing so would just cause problems (bottom of a pit)

off topic kinda: a mob that when it killed you took over your body and used it till you came and killed it with a new body would be cool, have to take a clone of you out, maybe it takes a weapon or something form you till you kill it. just ideas.

Svarr Chanston likes this.
  4. Svarr Chanston

You both make very good points, why not keep it as optional to be revived on the spot or back at your base/ship? That would please both worlds... maybe a on the spot revive would cost more or a special type of cash that is difficult to get so it's not over abused?

5. Joxalot

Joxalot Subatomic Cosmonaut

Id prefer something less fantasy-ish, but that's just me, really.
    I'm just a little skeptical with the whole angel/demon and ghost idea. Unless there's a explanation that's credible under game plot/fluff, I don't believe it would fit it at all.
    That is, implying Starbound is a sci-do scenario.

I'd rather consider cloning a better way to approach this issue.

6. Svarr Chanston

I guess yer right, still it's nice to keep the ideas flowing. Thanks for the input. :3

7. nic329

nic329 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

if cloning gets put it (i think it should) as the reason for respawn, i think it would be fun to have a "clone number" somewhere, just to show how many times you died, maybe even a small journal, (clone 5 fell into acid goo)

A respawn on the spot option would be nice, possibly in an item, or LOTS of cash. and that would work even with the clone theory.

8. Svarr Chanston

Combine my idea with the cloning? I mean, the cloned body needs a soul, am I right? Maybe the Scientist who tells you about cloning has you make a pact with either a daemon or an angel... or just a neutral strong spirit.
    Revives effect looks different for different pacts or gives you a slight "get well soon" buff that is not overpowered but just enough to get away from that spot quickly. (invincibility for 7 seconds unless you attack + shine/glow for 15 seconds?)

Of course the spirits attacking your body can be removed to prevent annoyances for those who seem to have a dying fetish or just plain hate it, we'll see.

---------
    And if that idea still does not fit, a small robot can come and capture your soul from your body in a jar and bring it to your base to be put in a clone body. Simple