1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Will the Novakid be Telepathic?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Maxxumus666, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Maxxumus666

Maxxumus666 Void-Bound Voyager

We all can't wait for the Novakid, I couldn't and decided to play nightly. What i found is that Novakid can talk, but they have no mouths. Plus the fact that we don't have a sentient telepathic race (I saw that blank face on the gate, i got my eye on your chuckfish) yet as every sci-fi needs, this supports my idea. If i am the only one thinking about this fine. But really unless mouths are going to be added this is my story, I'm sticking to it.

Maxxumus The Gamer
    Lillyshooter the Floran
    Delta the Novakid

2. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

I never heard anywhere so far that they are.

3. Skarn

Skarn Existential Complex

Nah, they have to breathe and eat, so they should have a "mouth" somewhere.

It's probably on their face, we just can't see it since they're so bright. Or it's behind their brand or something like that.

4. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

They have no mouths, and aren't telepathic. Here:

There is much information about the Novakid in the original suggestion page by Bietol.
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/meet-the-novakid.16712/

There is a mention about the talking:
    So this is currently the most canon thing we have about it.

Maxxumus666 and Serenity like this.
  5. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

Stars make a lot of noise you know.

6. shaylapollard

shaylapollard Space Hobo

They may be having camouflaged mouths. But having mouth is necessary! They need to eat to survive!

7. EvilEye

EvilEye Scruffy Nerf-Herder

They don't have a "mouth". Their whole body is able to absorb stuff, like an amoeba. Phagocytosis.

FloomRide and Starbug like this.
  8. Roycewhal

Roycewhal Void-Bound Voyager

^This

Universal translators are a thing, so their "speech" would be translated. I would find the humor of this game being that the people who made the translators humans have giving the Novakid a strong southwestern accent, because humans relate things to themselves.

As for their actual food, being star-like, I figure;

is most likely. Break down the food into fusion material.

I'm more confused about their skin and body temperature, and their ability to wear clothing, so obviously my Novakid walks around like Dr. Manhattan

Serenity, Mianso and Starbug like this.
  9. Starbug

Starbug Guest

wow.. the lore you guys come up with when chatting is pretty much as good as - if not - better than what is in the game!

10. GeorgeV

GeorgeV Art Director

They speak pretty normally. Think of a Wild West voice. Apply it to them.

The question is quite easy. Just like how the Glitch eat.

11. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

ive heard the hard outer layer is resistant to heat, at least internally
    so unless affected by outside temperatures their skin would be normal (whatever normal is for novakids)

12. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

They have no mouth and they must scream

pop-yotheweird likes this.
  13. Harlander

Harlander Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You mean like

If you're wondering how they eat and breathe
    and other science facts
    Just repeat to yourself "It's just a game
    I should really just relax"

?

Heartstrings likes this.
  14. Maxxumus666

Maxxumus666 Void-Bound Voyager

Wow, I didn't expect this many people to respond. Even a Game Dev.

You guys even managed to answer questions i haven't even thought of yet. And thanks Zebe for what is currently considered lore.

And thanks replying Dev. And that question was easy, since glitch were made by a ancient (WAIT! going back to this the outpost gate has a blank face) and advanced race, of course they can break down food into electricity, since the race was trying to simulate and track civilization they would have to make Famine a valid factor.

15. Heartstrings

Heartstrings Giant Laser Beams

The outpost gates also have a giant tentacled horror above the various carved faces put there by an ancient civilization long before those 7 races came about...
    Wait a minute. This reminds me of a game somewhere...

16. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Science time!

Plasma arcing can be tuned to produce sound of a specific frequency, with the right tools they could in theory mimic speech. A plasma creature doesn't need a mouth to make sounds.