Will servers require forwarding ports?

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by werty11109, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

i can port forward, yet the the games don't think the port has been forwarded, even though it's clearly open, so i just use hamachi...i hope this game will have an easy multiplayer set up.

2. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

If you're operating the server on a private IP then you will need to forward port 21025. If you're on a public IP or using IPv6 then it should just work.

Guardian, Axe Garian and Ordona like this.
  3. Spike

Spike Supernova

I might be getting the wrong idea here, but is the port forwarding thing the 7777 that is the default thingy in terraria? Would starbound's port forwarding be 21025 by default?

4. deity12

deity12 Void-Bound Voyager

You can always get your ports forwarded in advance (now that we know the default port is 21025, or maybe I've heard that somewhere before?). Can always use a Terraria or Minecraft server on the port to check it.

To the OP, you must be doing something slightly, wrong, and trust me I know how infuriating port forwarding can be. Maybe you aren't defining the destination IP correctly? I really can't give you much help but if you want to run a port-forwarded Starbound server on release, then you can always 'refine' your techniques with other games till you got it right.