Modding Help what do i do after i've edited a file and renamed it ?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Techkid, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Techkid

Techkid Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hi im wanting to make my own op gun and sword mod. Ive been looking for a gun mod with very high dps but haven't found one. I followed a youtube tutorial and it got me through the unpacking. But he ended his tutorial short. Also I used to make mods for left 4 dead 2 just by editing files, renaming them and putting them in a folder and making a mod file out of it. Im wondering if I just add .modinfo to the file name.

2. AstralGhost

AstralGhost Pangalactic Porcupine

That's not quite how it works for Starbound. A modinfo file is simply a file that tells the game a mod exists and where to locate it.
    The files that your modinfo directs the game to will then be used to replace the files the game loads into the system upon loading.
    Here is a full written tutorial on all of that: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/modding-basics-p1-editing-vanilla-files.86970/

Also, basically what you can do is take a gun or sword mod that you downloaded and simply modify some of the settings in the .gun or .sword files to make them more powerful. To find out how you'll just want to experiment with various settings. As well, even if you take this route you might want to take a peek at the above tutorial first of all just so you have an understanding of what you're doing and how to fix things if anything goes wrong.

Dunto likes this.
  3. Techkid

oh ok, I renamed a file to God Hammer.modinfo and everytime I would the game with the new mod folder I created in my mods the game crashed

4. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Dunto likes this.
  5. Techkid

ive forgotton how to convert a file to a .modinfo file. do I convert the txt file or the sword file ?

6. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Peelz likes this.
  7. Techkid

maybe I should switch to nightly, Im using the steam version

on 2nd thought I think ill just stick with the Enraged Koala version and wait for mod support. Reason being i have mods i like using and theres servers i like playing on

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015