1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Well this is annoying =/

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ZeroFiveNosh, Mar 25, 2015.

1. ZeroFiveNosh

ZeroFiveNosh Void-Bound Voyager

I having trouble beating the crystal boss thing to get the FTL drive. I have the steel armor, but the lazers still cut me down to fast. In my galaxy there is not lvl 3 plantes for me to get Titanium, so i restarted but it not only put me in the same galaxy, but all the digging i did was still there, and the dungens cleared. Can someone help me get some titanium so i can beat Crystal Face and travel the rest of the universe ~_~

2. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Block the laser witha shield or even easier with a two handed sword

3. ZeroFiveNosh

thanks, problem with that might be i deleted my character with the better shield like a chump lol so i hope i find one that will work

4. Fina

Fina Title Not Found

As my Sensei once said:

'Flow like the stream and you shall not encounter resistance. You will move through your obstacles with ease as does the water of the stream.'

(you can also stop the lasers by going to the bottom of the room ;) I did not use a shield just dodge skills and timing!)

5. ZeroFiveNosh

Can i use a 2h sword to block?

6. Beathrus

Beathrus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yes, 2handed weapons can be used to block as well as Shields!

7. Artay001

Artay001 Pangalactic Porcupine

If you need a complete restart, you'll have to delete the files in your universe folder as well. Take heart, I guess, that you're not terribly far into the game. As for the boss, make sure you do as many of the quests on the outpost as you can. Two tech cards and a decent 2-handed weapon (random stats) are a good start. I usually use a compound bow (steel) to take out moontants on my way to the boss. Not much loot, but lots of food and it's two-hit kills until you get to the armored ones. I rest up at the bed (free heals!) and use a shield in one hand and bandages in the other (usually less than 50). Perfect blocking isn't as difficult as it sounds and will get you through contacts with the laser as long as you are quick to move out of it. I hit the first switches on my way down from the ceiling before the Horror even notices I'm there. I'm usually right ahead of the beam while I get the other two switches, but by that time it usually starts to change direction. If not, I block while I pass through and heal a couple of times just to keep myself as close to full as possible. I hit the laser on my way past and immediately start hitting switches on the left again. With pulse jump it takes two full leaps to get from the bottom to the top. I'll probably have to block before I can get to the other side to hit the other switches, but if the beams are approaching me I use dash to get through them as quickly as possible. If we're moving the same direction, I just stop until I'm out of the damage zone and heal up while I keep close on its tail. In round three, getting hit by the beams is unavoidable. Be prepared to take damage. I usually eat a steak and then continue the pattern as normal. Only very rarely does the boss spawn a moontant between shots from the laser. If it does, just do your best to avoid it until after you defeat the boss.

That's my strategy, anyway. I wish you luck on finding your stride.

Edit: Btw, there are spots in round three at the top and sides where the lasers NEVER go. If you're in rough shape, find one (the laser is one) and take the time to heal up. If the boss spawns a minion, it spawns a minion. The important thing is that you didn't die. :)

8. braydon

braydon Phantasmal Quasar

The boss really isn't that hard if you're well prepared, if you do some of the side quests, I think it's the cake one and another, you can get both the energy dash and pulse jump tech, those will help a lot, especially the pulse jump because it's free to use.

Anyway just bring a lot of bandages and whatever the best food you can make is, the basic shield you can craft should be fine, and good guns drop in the crates throughout the mission.

The most important thing is to know the patterns, at the start it has only two beams, easy enough to avoid, just go the way they do, second phase is really the only hard one, 4 beams and they reverse direction, just start heading back when they stop moving because they change direction and then change again before cutting out, make the move to the next switch between bursts of lasers. 3rd is easy, if you stand either straight to the side, straight above, or straight below while it fires it won't hit you, you just wait for it to quit then move around to the next switch.

9. Muffintrain

Muffintrain Subatomic Cosmonaut

That's only applicable to 2h swords. I don't think you can parry with axes, hammers, and spears.

Also, OP, a wonderful tip I have for you is to put those techs you have (assuming you have at least the jump boost tech), and move to each of the four switches as fast as you can without having to go against or through the rays. If you have problems reaching the other side of the arena, you should wait until the erchius horror stops to spawn a humanoid, and rush to the other side to flip the switches. http://starbounder.org/Erchius_Horror

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  10. braydon

Yes, that's why broadswords are so great, they have huge range and can block.

11. Muffintrain

You can't properly aim with them though, since they cover only a wide range in front of you and a tiny bit around the back of your head, which means handling birds, mobs with body slam, or everything in midair in general would be challenging, as you will need to either jump to them to reach them-- in which case parrying then attacking in midair would be very difficult-- or wait for them to attack, back up to parry and follow-up with a riposte.
    2h sword.png

Axes, on the other hand, can be more flexible on that area, as you can aim it at any direction at the expense of around two blocks less attack range. The only thing that's missing with them is the ability to parry with them, which is really a bummer for an axe person like me.
    2h axe a.png 2h axe b.png 2h axe c.png

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  12. braydon

I still prefer the broad sword, you can outrange some of the melee attacks with it, and really the range is significantly better, 2 blocks is quite significant.

The axes are only really good if you get a bone axe, since it can shoot it's projectile in any direction unlike an eye sword.

Anyway I always handled birds and anything else that avoids 2H swords with a gun, so I don't see the need.

13. Muffintrain

It hurts to say, but I completely agree with you there.:nod:
    Axes and (actually) any melee weapon other than swords really need a more defined edge to them to be as desirable, like, for example, having a charge option for spears by holding the mouse button then releasing, increasing the range and damage to an extent, or making it hit more than once with fury-stabbing. I could really go on with the weapon ideas, but this isn't really the right thread for that.

Anyway, I'm hoping we were able to help, OP. Sorry for the unnecessary rambling.

Nibolas O Anelbozas likes this.
  14. braydon

Why exactly is it so painful to agree with me?

Anyway what I'd want to see for axes is more damage, so you have a harder to use but higher damaging weapon, so it's a sort of risk reward thing.

15. Muffintrain

It's just my personal thing, since I'm kind of an axe person--actually a halberd person (get it?), but it's part-axe, so yeah; regardless, I want the game to keep weapons balanced and not be biased towards making swords masterrace (or making anything masterrace, actually). Right now, I prefer using 2h swords over axes because they're more practical, which makes it sad for axes and other melee weapons alike.

MA-8503S.png

The | Suit likes this.
  16. roadrashh

roadrashh Void-Bound Voyager

This is a little off-topic, but can anybody give me some tips on how to even get to the boss? I know where it is and how to get there, but the enemies before the boss fight keep destroying me!

17. braydon

A few things, first of all, they can't jump, if you grab one of the many ranged weapons you are free to snipe them off and they never follow you up, so just being patient and playing it safe with a gun should get you through most of it, it's also worth noting they react kind of slow so it's easy to hit them with a melee weapon and then jump out of range.

If it's the hammer guy that kills you, just make sure to head away from him and flip the switch, go back through the tunnel and there are minors to help you. Shoot at him the whole walk down to to weaken him, you can do the same with the others and there's more space then.

18. roadrashh

roadrashh Void-Bound Voyager

Hey, thanks for the quick reply and the tips. I am going to try that out in about twenty minutes! :up: