1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

WARNING: Angry Koala invalidates/wipes .world & .shipworld files. Not a total reset & not a bug.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Synthlight, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Synthlight

Synthlight Pangalactic Porcupine

This is mostly to quell the "Where has all my shit gone!?!" threads that are popping up.

Wipe includes:
    • Ship contents (including storage)
    • Anything in the ship fuel 'chest'
    • All planets will be regenerated.
    Things you will still have:
    • Anything on your char, techs, etc.
    • Unlocked recipes.
    • Anything you scanned into the printer.

.world & .shipworld headers have changed from:
    SBBF
    to
    SBBF01

Older .world files will be renamed to:
    *.world.<number>.fail
    (As they are now invalid.)
    The world will then be generated anew with the same original filename.

EDIT: Could/should this be stickied for a few days 'while the dust settles'?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
    NFossil, Hyperaxe1, ErekoseDM and 2 others like this.
  2. elipod

elipod Industrial Terraformer

i'd appreciate this warning before the patch, so i could save chest contents.

3. Mansen

Mansen Subatomic Cosmonaut

Don't count on it - But you could always turn off automatic updates and read up every time you're about to launch the game (Or better yet - Make regular backups of your savegames)

Finn Learson likes this.
  4. SirCoolo

SirCoolo Orbital Explorer

Actually, mine was SBSF...
    Changing it to SBBF01 and replacing the new one doesn't work...

5. Synthlight

I just pulled the header from an older .shipworld file and compared it to the newer one and that is the result.

The whole reason it was changed is cause the older format is no longer valid and will error (at least partially, maybe completely) when loading. I would not expect it to work at all.

Older .world files will be renamed to "*.world.<number>.fail" and a new one will be created in the originals place.

6. zortbg

zortbg Cosmic Narwhal

Thanks for the info!

7. snowshadow2867

snowshadow2867 Big Damn Hero

Is there a way to edit the old shipworld files to make them compatible with the new shipworld file?

8. krageon

krageon Void-Bound Voyager

Yes, but it's unlikely that people know about it.

Edit: That is to say, I don't either.

9. jskode

jskode Guest

It would be really nice if the developers released a little tutorial on how to transfer your old .shipworld files to the new format. Is that so much to ask? :/

10. Gulbrandr

Gulbrandr Zero Gravity Genie

Why should they? They are not doing if for the giggles of it and if everyone did that they would have to figure out if any new errors were due to people messing around with the files or if it came in with the patch. More hassle than its worth.

11. Synthlight

They are binary files. There is no easy way to port them without making a custom application.
    That being said, I would love to have the file spec published. That way us developers could make a tool for the community to do this ourselves.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  12. jskode

jskode Guest

So basically, there is no way to transfer old ship files, and they are lost forever.
    Damn, I literally JUST finished building my huge space station when the patch was released. It was backed up, but it saddens me that all my work was for nothing. How disappointing.

13. Gulbrandr

Gulbrandr Zero Gravity Genie

There are warnings that this could and will happen(more in the future as well), so personally that tells me that maybe I shouldn't go nuts and build something massive because it has a high potential of just going poof. That isn't what this is for if ya wanna just play, build, and what not wait till release. This should be about helping iron out the issues in the game so it can get to a point where the Devs feel good about a full release.

14. Synthlight

Just think of it as an opportunity to make 'Big ass station - MK2'. (And now you can work some wiring in there.)

15. Dr4g0nExtreme

Dr4g0nExtreme Space Spelunker

Soo....... I lost everything??????!!!!!!!! For everrrr!!!!!!!!!

16. xenomat

xenomat Void-Bound Voyager

Same here. I'd appreciate any info regarding a World/Shipconverter. There seems to be an editor, but it can't even load the old ship (because it looks for *.structure files, not *.shipworld...)

17. Deserok

Deserok Aquatic Astronaut

[​IMG]

Zouleena likes this.
  18. Synthlight

You seem to be confused by what 'Starstructor' is. It's designed to help create/alter the structure of parts used to create worlds; not worlds themselves. The actual .world file has a lot more info as it contains an instanced state of the structure.

It's a mod tool, not a save editor.