1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Vector Squared -- Community News! -- Issue #31

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ReverseShadow, Jul 11, 2013.

1. [​IMG]

Welcome to this weeks issue of Vector Squared! In this week's issue we have for you the usual fan art features, suggestions, questions, and development headlines that have made headway over the course of this last week. So please, be my guest, and read onward!
    Table of Contents
    • Fan Art Feature
    • Music Spotlight
    • Community Suggestion
    • The New Thread Regarding Beta Release
    • Development Summary
    • Science Trivia
    • Japan Trivia
    • Question of the Week
    • Closing Comments
    [​IMG]

Our first artist for the week goes by the name of Oname! His featured artwork consists of several sketch-like drawings of the known races. He also has done some incredible fan-requested art as well. Check out his art thread here!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next artist we would like to feature this week is none other than Slidius! He created an art thread specifically for the postings of fan art related to the novakids, and his own drawing (shown below in the spoiler) is incredible! Make sure to check out his art thread here, and contribute your own novakid art!

[​IMG]

~Shadow

[​IMG]

For our second music spotlight we have the groovy sounds of leonD. He has been creating music for quite some time now, and has only recently brought it to the attention of the Starbound community.

His songs are based mostly around a synthesizer, but also feature guitar, drums and even vocals. There’s a nice variety of songs available, so be sure to check out his album on SoFurry.

His full compilation of songs can be found on his thread in the following link;
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/next-to-my-artwork-i-made-make-music.25121/

by Jonesy

[​IMG]

This weeks community suggestion comes from the use Insanitor! His idea (with over 1,200 upvotes already on the suggestions homepage) is the implementation of home security systems! The systems would come equipped with video cameras that could be set up around your home. These cameras could be programed to monitor the activation of certain doors or chests, and can also be hooked up to some sort of television for the purpose of remote surveillance. This is most useful for players who intend on building massive secret bases or complexes. especially in multiplayer servers!

Check out the original thread right here, and be sure to leave a comment regarding whether or not you’d like to see this feature make it into the actual game!

~Shadow

Tiys Official Thread Regarding Beta
    In response to the massive uprising of community members verbal anxiety regarding beta release, Tiy has decided to open up a beta thread to end all beta threads. In this thread, people are free to discuss their beta concerns and woes without having to worry about a possible thread lock or community disapproval. The thread can be found here, be sure to read it if you haven't already as Tiy answers many key questions and concerns right on the very front page.

~Shadow

[​IMG]
    Here is a quick overlook at this weeks development features:
    • Quest GUI: The games quest interface has been completely designed and is currently awaiting implementation into the game itself. The quest GUI will feature details regarding the quest, rewards, and notifications as to when certain quests are completed.
    • Sleeping Animations: All beds and sleeping locations (like tents) now have proper animations for when characters are sleeping within them.
    • Level Scaling: A crucial part of the games functionality, proper level scaling with monsters and equipment is being heavily worked upon by developer Kyren. This means that monsters will now gradually scale in difficulty as the player improves; weapons and planets will also do the same.
    • Ninja Rope: Developer Omni has been hard at work bring the game a realistic grappling hook based of the design of the hook in the popular Japanese game Umihara Kawase. The hook will feature realistic tension and physics, allowing for the player to pull off some pretty unique maneuvers with the hook. There is a possibility that the hook may be used for combat and boss encounters.
    • Floran Introduction: While not much info was actually revealed, a pair of screenshots were released which showed off some of the floran artwork present within the game. This images, like the human and the avian intros, will be featured within the game following the creation of a new floran character.
    [​IMG]
    Kumbaya, Kumbaya...

[​IMG]
    Electricity
    Electricity is one of the most useful forms of energy. It travels near instantaneously, is relatively simple to produce, and can be turned into other forms of energy easily. Those are some reasons why almost all modern machines and appliances use it. We have Ben Franklin and other scientists to thank for it.
    Electricity is a form of energy. It is the flow of electrons from a negatively charged object/substance to a positively charged object/substance. An object/substance has an electric charge when it has more/less electrons than protons. A positively charged object has fewer electrons than protons, while a negatively charged object has more electrons than protons.
    Electrons and protons are subatomic particles. Electrons are negatively charged, while protons are positively charged. Their charges cause them to attract each other. Electrons have almost no mass. Electrons can be transferred from one object/substance to another easily (depending on conductivity), but protons are incredibly difficult to transfer from an object/substance to another.
    Nature will try to balance the energies of the two objects/substances by equalizing the ratio of electrons to protons between the two objects/substances, if possible. It does this by transferring electrons from the negatively charged object/substance to the positively charged one.
    Electrons flow through different materials with different degrees of difficulty. The ease of which materials allow the flow of electrons through themselves is called conductivity. Metals and liquids with dissolved salts are very conductive. One of the most available, most conductive, and most malleable metals is copper. It is the most used material for using electricity.
    When a negatively charged object/substance is connected to a positively charged object/substance with a conductive object/material, the electrons will take the path of least resistance through the wire from the negatively charged object/substance to the positively charged object/substance.
    In the case of a battery powering a flashlight:
    The battery is both the negatively and positively charged objects. A battery is composed of two distinct parts, separated by a non conductive material. One part is negatively charged and the other is positively charged. The part that is negatively charged has a minus on it (-) and the part that is negatively charged has a plus on it (+).
    When you put it in the flashlight, the electrons from the negative side of the battery will travel through a wire to the light bulb, where it reaches a filament. The filament has lower conductivity than the wire and therefore becomes excited when the electrons pass through it. The filament is calibrated to release electromagnetic radiation in the color spectrum when it is excited by the predetermined wattage and voltage of electricity it receives.
    Then the electrons continue their journey to the positive side of the battery. When the two sides of the battery equalize there will no longer be any reason for the electrons to flow and you will have to get a new battery to power the flashlight.
    I’ll be back next week to tell you how to electrically charge objects and generally continue this subject.
    Here are a few links in case you want to know more:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incandescent_light_bulb

~Harnackam

Japan Trivia
    Tokyo city (東京市 or Tokyo-Shi) is currently the world's second largest city in existence, falling right behind Mexico City in terms of population. The city is divided up into twenty-three wards, or districts. These districts have been constantly changing; prior to the year of 1945 the city actually had thirty-five unique wards, with the governments head cabinet member in charge of the management of every single ward. The city later combined many districts to form the Tokyo city we know today, with each individual district so large that each is managed by a separate government official. Tokyo also serves as the Japanese equivalent of Americas Washington D.C, as the head building of the Japanese government and the home of the Japanese prime minister are both present at the very heart of the city. The japanese government has had a place within the city since its very creation in the medieval period; formerly known as Edo, Tokyo served as the home of the Japanese royal family and high Shogunate (leader/official).The city has survived all the way through the feudal period up to the modern day. Its immense size is due to the combining of the Tokyo cities ruling government with the several smaller surrounding governments in the early 1900’s, forming the massive city that we see today. The city is known by the Japanese as the city of lights (光の都市), and is currently home to the worlds largest fish market, as well as some of the worlds largest arcades and shopping centers in existence. A very recognizable image of the city is that of Tokyo Square, the Japanese equivalent to New York’s Times Square.
    ~Shadow

Question of the Week
    Q: If you had to trade in any video game you currently own for Starbound, which one would it be and why?
    A: Post it in the comments!

Closing Comments
    • These articles are apparently going to be published every wednesday now.
    • Thanks for reading!
    Contributing Members
    ReverseShadow- Calligraphy Sensei
    Jonesy- Still learning his calligraphy (tssk tssk)
    Harnackam- The monk of great wisdom

2. harnackam

harnackam Ketchup Robot

Yay, new issue!

3. Sgt. Sprocket

Sgt. Sprocket Parsec Taste Tester

For the question:
    I have some shitty ps2 games I don't care for, also there's a loophole with the question:

If you have steam, download a FTP game and trade in for starbound!
    Free copy!

GrumpyMcfart, nababoo and WoxandWarf like this.
  4. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Wait a minute...wait a minute...there is no calligraphy in this issue. You lied to me.

Also, I would trade Guns of Icarus for Starbound. Mostly because I don't play it. After all, why would I give up a game I like for it?

ReverseShadow and WoxandWarf like this.
  5. Sgt. Sprocket

But technically its my own, personalized downloaded copy, right?

WoxandWarf likes this.
  6. Sgt. Sprocket

FINE.
    If you want to be technical about it.

Also, all FTP games are removed from the list after deleting regardless of whether you spent money on it (I spent $20 on Tribes: Ascend, and it didn't show up on my list after getting uninstalled).
    The only exception being TF2, because I got it when you still had to buy it.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  7. El Matador

El Matador Void-Bound Voyager

I think the question of the week is more centered around sacrifice. If I had to trade any game for Starbound, I think I would have to choose Shadow of the Colossus. Not at all because I dislike the game, but because I love it. That's how excited I am for Starbound!

Joffez and nababoo like this.
  8. I would probably discontinue my play of Civilization as that's basically the only thing I really play on Steam.

I like these issues that have a lot of pictures.

ReverseShadow likes this.
  9. leonD

leonD Cosmic Narwhal

please guys, if you really wana enjoy my music use the link in my journal or this one http://www.sofurry.com/browse/user/music?uid=25130

^^" it is a bit of a shame that people thought i made only one album heheh i can clear that up:
    I was JUST to lasy to make floders :rofl: the old page (sofurrys design) was an horrible kind so it was hard to create floders, one reason there is only "1 album" floder there ^^"

I uploaded my other musics just for fun without floder there, look my link i gave.

the right order from my albums are:

Loved, Hated, Morethan -early 2006
    Dirty Dreams -late 2006
    Lovely Feelings - 2007
    Wind Rhythm Club- 2007
    Wings of an angel (Music Silver award 2008) - early 2008
    Life is a game - end 2008
    "7" (best of) - 2010
    (unoffical) The universe is CROWDED! - 2012

but im still glad i did it in here ^^ still it would be nice to edit this part heheh ^^""""" thankis after all :D

EDIT:
    I made a lil list from sound you should listen to here:

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/next-to-my-artwork-i-made-make-music.25121/

Jonesy likes this.
  10. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I done goofed, guys. I'm going to go drink from the noob cup.

leonD likes this.
  11. leonD

leonD Cosmic Narwhal

*gives you a cola* dont sweat about it ^^

linkthegamer likes this.
  12. I went back and edited the article so that it states the fact that you didn't just make one album. I also put the link to your compilation thread in the article as well. Hope this helps!

13. leonD

leonD Cosmic Narwhal

jup ^^ looks much better now ^^ thanks :D

14. DoomShooter

DoomShooter Scruffy Nerf-Herder

To answer the question, I would give up any of my singleplayer games. I've already finished most of them on hardest difficulty, and I'm not a huge fan of replaying.

15. Dr scoobie

Dr scoobie Giant Laser Beams

wooooo!
    free chips!, thanks...

i love editing peoples posts in my replies.

Sgt. Sprocket likes this.
  16. BluPixelz

BluPixelz Aquatic Astronaut

man this is very informative, keep up the good work vector squared!

17. kimito

kimito Void-Bound Voyager

Hey, the science article says "The part that is negatively charged has a minus on it (-) and the part that is negatively charged has a plus on it (+)." Shouldn't it say The part that is negatively charged has a minus on it (-) and the part that is positively charged has a plus on it (+)." Just a thought.

harnackam likes this.
  18. braindanger

braindanger Phantasmal Quasar

YOU must care alot of the community.

19. affsd

affsd Zero Gravity Genie

minecrap
    im 900% done with that "game"

20. tyhiyo3

tyhiyo3 Orbital Explorer

Id trade aliens colonial marines for it, cause that game is a pile of ass and gearbox scammed me into buying it