Various Body Hitboxes.

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Sarzael, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

As far as i know, the body of each creature is now considered one giant piece mechanical wise (Graphic wise, its made out of different pieces made together), effectively making it so that if you hit a single piece of the body, it is as you hit the whole body.

What im suggesting is to separate the body pieces and give each its own hitbox.

Purpose of this?
    Dealing separate damage to pieces of the body.
    What does that mean?
    Effectively, that you can break someone a leg, and then he will move a lot slower and will not be able to jump as good.

The pieces:
    Head: Damages that hit the head deal a greatly boosted damage. Attacks here may cause blindness. Headshots FTW!
    Torso: Normal attacks.
    Legs: Legs can be broken twice.
    When broken once: 50% Reduced move speed. 75% Reduced jump height.
    When broken twice: 75% Reduced move speed. Cannot jump. Your character takes a standing on the ground
    animation, and you cant attack while moving.
    Arms: Can only be hit during attack or by explosive weapons. Can be broken twice.
    When broken once: Player loses ability to use two handed weapons and cant use items in that hand.
    When broken twice: Run for your life.

This also applies for most mobs. Wearing armor greatly reduces chance of you taking damage.
    But, how you heal this?
    Apart of dieing? Well, since this is a game, they debuffs will slowly wear away when your not in battle, potentially faster if you re on a bed (Being in spaceship also boosts regeneration) Also, healing stuff may cure this.

Different mobs may have additional pieces: Tail, wings, two heads, and the game would have to give valors to those too.

How do you hit an specific zone?
    With guns, fire at that zone. Explosive weapons overall have a big value to break body pieces since they affect most of the body.
    With meele weapons, i dont really know if the attacks are directed, if so, the ploblem is solved. Else, there isnt really a good way apart of timing, If you jump while enemy is on ground, chances are you will hit head. If you attack while enemy attacks doing no move, you will hit arms (And potentially break your own ones too), if you attack while enemy jumps, you may hit legs. Big weapons may effect various zones.

Constructive criticism accepted.

See also:
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/expanded-attack.5396/

2. SuggestionsBot

SuggestionsBot Autonomous Posting Device

Thanks for submitting a new suggestion!

Please remember to give your opinion on this suggestion by voting on our suggestions page.

3. Ruban Crusade

Ruban Crusade Pangalactic Porcupine

I like the idea of having separate parts that you can hit, perhaps dealing more damage if hitting the head, but the broken limbs idea seems a bit too much. Also, with some monsters it might not be possible to get to specific parts. Lastly, while this system is great from the perspective of ranged weapons, which have a specific, single point of contact (for the most part), how would this work with melee weapons? From what I've seen, melee weapons just swing in an arc and hit everything in the area. Would this mean hitting multiple hit boxes? Or would it be some how prioritized or distributed? If you were to clarify and remove the broken limbs bit, I might be interested in voting up...

4. Bastard Man

Bastard Man Big Damn Hero

Could be set in an options mode for "super cruel realism mode" lol. Like the idea though, pretty interesting (difficult) to implement considering a lot of the enemies will be procedurally generated...

WoxandWarf likes this.
  5. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

Not really. The parts, as far as i know, are already separated on groups.

All the legs are in a group, all the arms in other. What the game must do is detect the parts a body is composed of and separate them.

6. VeriChip

VeriChip Void-Bound Voyager

I like the idea of headshots with guns, but it should only do ~10%-25% more damage, or increase the chance of a crit ~5%-10%. The breaking of limbs seems a bit much.

Ryoza likes this.
  7. Ryoza

Ryoza Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like the idea but the sprites are too small so any melee attack would hit all parts of beast or humanoids soo it wouldnt work too well
    head shots on the other hand could work well

8. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

Bullets arent really big, and if a weapon is big enough as to hit more than one piece, it does so.

The breaking limbs thing is very low chance, and some weapons are better than other in breaking limbs.
    Meele weapons are generally better than ranged, EXCEPT, if the ranged is explosive.
    Blunt Meele are better than Sharp Meele at breaking limbs.

9. Ryoza

flintstones------BOOM

10. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

What?

Ruban Crusade likes this.
  11. Ryoza

i...dont...know somebody was messing with my account sorry :unsure:

12. jackonator

jackonator Space Spelunker

can somone tell me how to remove the hit box of your charector?

13. Dagger7

Dagger7 Industrial Terraformer

This looks like a good idea, although not in all situations. On bosses, that would be awesome, and it was done successfully in many games before. Bosses in Starbound would be much more interesting to fight this way, along with multiple phases, but that's beside the point.

On regular monsters and other enemies, I don't think it would work well. The attacks would either:
    1) Always hit the same part.
    2) Just hit random parts of their body.

Explanations:

1) For instance, a lot of monsters walk with their four legs, which means their head is always in front of them, which means you'll always get headshots on them. With localized damage, this system would just get you a massive damage increase, unless you're shooting it from the back. This is a common problem in 2D games. Another example: birds would mostly get hit at their feet. Making the body part have a %hit depending on the direction the projectile is coming from would somewhat solve this problem, but that would kinda eliminate the purpose of this mechanic.

2) Let's consider an extreme example: you're trying to shoot a bee with a gun that fires incredibly thin needles. You absolutely can't control which particular part of the bee's body you hit, the needles would just hit any part of its body, WHEN you hit it. And this is without considering that both you and the bee can move.
    Now, in Starbound, you can move, the target can move, and the bullets you shoot are super slow when compared to reality, unless using a sniper rifle. Which means, if you're not in the previous case (i.e. fighting against humanoid targets for example), you'll be happy with pretty much anything you hit. You would randomly hit body parts. This is just like having crit chance and debuff proc chances.

Same for the player who would randomly get crippled, which leads to a frustrating gameplay.

But bosses should have different parts that can be hit. This would make fighting them way more enjoyable, rather than always hitting the part that's easiest to hit. Want that giant mothership to stop shooting laser beams? Hit those big obvious laser cannons. Want it to drop to the ground so you can slash it? Hit its thrusters, and so on.

In other cases, hit localization should be left to 3D shooters, because it's not worth the trouble on tiny sprites.

Ruban Crusade likes this.