1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed (Upbeat Giraffe) Major Bug: Crash on Melee Attack

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Exacerangutan, Jan 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Exacerangutan

Exacerangutan Void-Bound Voyager

In brief: Attacking with any melee weapon causes the game to crash.

In more detail:

I hadn't played the game in a couple of days, but everything had been fine. I started up a few minutes ago to do some exploring. I did some food crafting in preparation, which included handling a couple of chests and the cooking table. I beamed down to planet just fine, and techs worked fine. But when I tried to swing a flame-type melee weapon to provide some light, the game crashed. Further testing showed that my guns work fine, and my wand-type weapons work fine, but all melee weapons, including those I had left in chests and then went to retrieve also cause the crash just at the start of the attack animation.

As far as I know, I haven't changed anything to do with Starbound. I've been getting the .DLL errors on launch (specifically "The ordinal 4046 could not be located in the dynamic link library LIBEAY32.dll") but I was having those since the unstable update went out, and I never had a crash for any reason in all that time. I double-checked, and as far as I can tell, I'm on unstable, not nightly. All I can think of is that it might have been a RAM shortage, but I don't think the available RAM was so low the game couldn't manage an attack animation.

For what it's worth, I'm on Win7 with just over 2GB RAM unused before launch, at present.

As a side note, another (relatively very minor) bug I've noticed. When on the ship, using the Blink tech, trying to blink onto the teleport pad often results in landing with my feet below the ship floor and having to jump or Blink again to get out. Not sure if this is reproducible in other similar circumstances.

2. Obsidian Cowboy

Obsidian Cowboy Void-Bound Voyager

I've been recieving the same problem, crashes whenever i use melee. if anyone knows how to fix this please speak up.

3. endlessmark

endlessmark Phantasmal Quasar

Happening to me also and when NPCs use melee weapon it crashes that planet :(...

4. Obsidian Cowboy

found out that it is a problem with some old assets being stuck in or something like that. anyway the solution that worked for me was to delete the game completely from the computer then reinstall entirely fresh.

endlessmark likes this.
  5. endlessmark

Alright ill do a fresh reinstall and see if the same will happen to me:unsure:

EDIT: In my experience, starbound has integrated a melee voice which most custom race will not be compatible to thus will have to wait for a update :( At least the problem is minimal >.<

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  6. Exacerangutan

Exacerangutan Void-Bound Voyager

Hrm. It seems just waiting fixed it for me, but I wasn't using any mods. It looks as if even in unstable branch, there've been some nightly changes to assets, which might be the issue.

7. Obsidian Cowboy

So I added the serious modpack to my game and it started doing it again, so I individually downloaded each mod and now it works. I don't know if its actually to do with the mod or if its just doing this randomly but I've not had any more problems since

8. endlessmark

maybe its best to wait till mods update to the stable build :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.