1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

[Unstable] Copper as rare as diamond?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Ghosticus, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Ghosticus

Ghosticus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Booted up the unstable build last night with my buddy. I haven't been following the nightly builds, so i was excited to hear of a "slightly less unstable" build. First big thing we noticed was that copper was no where to be found on the surface, or anywhere within this first few reasonable levels. It wasn't until we venture almost half way to the core that we found a meager 2 ore vein of copper.

Now since copper is a vital ore for the beginning missions, I'm finding this challenge very fun. But since copper is supposed to be more abundant the iron, silver, and gold, I'm questioning whether this was on purpose or not. Anyone else notice this?

bluecollarart likes this.
  2. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Having the opposite problem. I've already got almost a 1000 copper ore stack from two runs. RNG is generous to some it seems

3. Ghosticus

Ghosticus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Wow, we found huge deposits of coal, gold, iron, and silver. I was living off of silver pickaxes trying to save up for the 2 M.M. upgrades, haha.

4. greenman

greenman Spaceman Spiff

In my experience, gone are the days where you could just run the surface to find deposits of ore. You gotta dig. Try to find a large cavern far below the surface and use torches to find large deposits.

Edit:

Also, the MM seems to be a better mining tool than low tier pickaxes. They break too quickly and waste resources. The MM is much faster than it used to be, btw.

InfernoTex and Heartstrings like this.
  5. Presios Saiyan

Presios Saiyan Giant Laser Beams

The Mater Manipulater is better than drills now on.

Oh and did i say Mater Manipulator?

6. Terrahero

Terrahero Cosmic Narwhal

People seem to be having varying experiences. I cant say copper was very rare, i did run into a bunch of iron and even a little bit of silver and platinum before i hit my first copper ores.
    But a bit deeper down there were some fairly large copper veins. And even a bunch of gold.

If anything in my opinion i find ores a bit to common, especially higher level ores. Finding platinum ore on a starting planet and a fair bit of gold and silver. And i wasnt even very deep yet.

7. Camshaft

Camshaft Phantasmal Quasar

on the surface you will not found copper .
    for that you must dig in the ground and there is more than you need

8. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

Mater Manipulator is OP, nerf Mater Manipulator, Tater Manipulator is UP, buff Tater Manipulator plz.

I have to agree with both the OP and darklight, that it does boil down to RNG. If RNG is generous, then copper's not a big concern and the tutorial missions can go by quickly, but if RNG is in a foul mood, well, might be time to re-roll your character and hope for better ore distribution next time.

Tsal likes this.
  9. MysteryGamer155

MysteryGamer155 Space Hobo

[DOUBLEPOST=1419199719][/DOUBLEPOST]I Found A StarGate But at the outpost I Couldn't Use Penguin Bay. Did I also mention I Found Diamond Before Copper?

10. dorn

dorn Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I had the same problem. It's not like you can't find it but it's far too rare for the starting material. Having wood/stone tools be first provided a more natural progression.

bluecollarart likes this.
  11. Camshaft

Camshaft Phantasmal Quasar

the penguin bar hase only something to upgrade the ship but before you mus mak am mission

12. Hawk Novablast

Hawk Novablast Black Hole Surfer

Copper is wayyyy too rare, nerf plz

13. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

I am one that mostly caved throughout the starter planet. I circled the world till I hit spawn; along the way going down into the small caves I found. Mostly coal, but managed to find some iron. Plus the mineshaft I eventually cleared out had a fair amount in the boxes and walls. That is where I started to dig from the lower right portion of that place. Well was on my generated one. Hit many caves that I just looked around and dug out what veins I found. I found a lot of copper in which I was using to make picks with.

I did get to a point where I had to dig continously for a couple minutes till I hit a cave that led towards caverns and eventually near the core. Along the way I managed to find plenty of copper, iron, silver, and fragments. Coal is redundant since I found the total amount of all the rest. I did find a little bit of gold, but not much. If there was other ores I didn't run across any. So I guess RNG was kind or I just have a sense of where things are. Unsure of that one. I just love to dig and build...>< lol

14. bluecollarart

bluecollarart Big Damn Hero

I had the same problem. I turned on /fullbright to see what was really going on, since normally you can't see how much ore might really be hidden by the darkness. There's way more iron than copper. Maybe that's intentional, since you need iron for steel as well, but it makes it feel copper is hard to find.

I wish ore spawned in a little more intelligently. One problem was that while there was a fair amount of copper, most of it was in places where you would never find it in natural play. When it spawns in deep into the middle of a dirt or stone block where no one will ever see it, it may as well not even have spawned to begin with.

It'd be better if the caves would generate first, and then the ore would be weighted slightly to be more likely to generate along cave walls, or close to them, so the player can find them throughout the course of spelunking.

Hawk Novablast likes this.