Unlock-able races

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Jayne Cobb, May 29, 2012.

?

Would this make the game more replayable?

1. Yes

38.5%
  2. No

46.2%
  3. Maybe

15.4%
  1. Jayne Cobb

Jayne Cobb Big Damn Hero

I think this would add to replay-ability, especially if different races have different skills. There could be certain achievements, bosses, or quests that give you the ability to gain a new race to play as. There could be just a few and they wouldn't be stronger, just different. Possibly even just cosmetic vanity races such as something like the Chiss from star wars or a name only change to something like a Human looking race to "Lord of Time"

2. Herbert Obo

Herbert Obo Void-Bound Voyager

Not really, adding more races alone adds to re-playability, making them unlockable just makes it more irritating getting to the race you want to play as.

xboy777, GrayGriffon and Force2Reckon like this.
  3. Jayne Cobb

Jayne Cobb Big Damn Hero

True. Thanks for the feedback.

4. Force2Reckon

Force2Reckon Phantasmal Quasar

As Herbert said, games like this, where you have an entire universe to explore, and races are more aesthetic than game changing... yeah making some unlockable is like a kick in the balls, because it means you have to play and devote X amount of time just to get to the point where you can play the game as something you want to play. However, if they had some sort of secret race that you get for doing something endgamey I wouldn't be too upset with that. Such as being able to play as the aliens that you are fighting the whole time after you destroy their homeworld, or something. However giving you a few (read: 3-5) choices and than saying "well do THIS in game and you can get THIS race!" and giving you like 20 unlockable races... that would just be a bother. There are games where having unlockable characters is appropriate... this just isn't one of those games.

xboy777 and GrayGriffon like this.
  5. Chittebengo

Chittebengo Void-Bound Voyager

I agree with those above. Not having linear progress, being a sandbox-style game, there is plenty there for replayability without the need for unlockable races. I can see the intent, though, and perhaps unlockable content of some kind isn't a bad thing; achievements seem to be largely popular with a lot of games recently. Perhaps a set of in-game challenges?

Cheers!

~Chitte

6. Force2Reckon

I'd like maybe some sort of cool aesthetic items things that you get for doing different challenges/gettin chieves, stuff that you can use on all your characters.

GrayGriffon likes this.
  7. Jayne Cobb

Jayne Cobb Big Damn Hero

Yeah I posted this a night and it seemed like a good idea, but as soon as Hobo posted I realized it was no. I'm one of those people that sometimes has to bounce ideas off of other people.

xboy777 and Force2Reckon like this.
  8. Chittebengo

Chittebengo Void-Bound Voyager

That's why we're all here. :> Discussion is rarely a bad thing.

xboy777 and Force2Reckon like this.
  9. Jayne Cobb

Jayne Cobb Big Damn Hero

Yeah thats why I love this place, other places (the steam forum for instance) you can either get ignored or just slammed at times, this is much more friendly :)

Force2Reckon likes this.
  10. Force2Reckon

Yeppers :) Thats my reason for loving this place.

11. Nathan

Nathan Big Damn Hero

Also I think racial traits are a big no no. Aesthetic wise I think races are good and cool but once you introduce racial traits it makes some more desirable to play then others. So yeah.

xboy777 likes this.
  12. Force2Reckon

Well there we disagree, I feel small buffs would be ok, nothing game changing but say, 5% run speed for race Y. The thing is different people will have different traits that they'll like so there will still be a lot of variation in races played, as long as the traits are small/well balanced. But I understand the concern as it's the same in lot of games.

xboy777 and Chittebengo like this.
  13. Gadgetguy

Gadgetguy Bag of Holding

I do like this idea a lot.
    You could have a base set of races: Avians, Humans, etc.
    And then you could unlock more races along your huge space quest.

14. Yulani

Yulani Aquatic Astronaut

I would enjoy having 6-8 races available at launch (those that's probably asking a lot:)), however having additional races or "cool" races being unlockable would be cool. Maybe have 5-6 starter races and 1-2 aesthetically amazing races?:proper:

15. CaptainMcManface

CaptainMcManface Pangalactic Porcupine

I want to change my vote but i was stupid and didn't look at the poll correctly

but as an actual opinion really, no. because if the races are just aesthetics differences then no it wouldn't have a reason to be there if there are bonuses and dis-bonuses to certain races than no because why would you withhold stuff from a game where you already have things you can't get right away? and due to the backgrounds being different (which is almost a bonus in itself) which means if you like the background of that particular race but it's withheld from you... i can almost see it... whats that OH GOD its a troll face, if you get what i mean.

16. xboy777

xboy777 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think it's somewhat of a good idea. Like, have a "secret" race that you've never seen or rarely see and don't make it obvious that you get to play as them after being the endgame. I like the idea of getting surprise pop-ups after the credits that notify me of new unlocked content and seeing that content with the "NEW" label next to it.

I completely agree. I just said the same thing in another thread only I said 10% instead of 5%. I like the idea of races being mostly aesthetic while having small changes to base stats or stats with weapons and tech that give a minor edge because I feel that is the perfect balance. That way people can pick the races they think looks cool without suffering from some penalty while the players who focus on specific roles can choose the race with the minor bonus to get that extra edge in the game for their preferred play style.