Tritanneaus, Gentle Ocean Giant.

Discussion in 'The Monster Monster Contest' started by DJFlare84, Mar 13, 2012.

1. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

Behold, Tritanneaus.
    [​IMG]
    The player character would be about as big as one of it's little hands, there. So it's a large creature. He's probably a little too big for this contest but I'd be awfully psyched to meet my friend here and sit on his head for a while. :V

~FURTHER VISUAL DETAIL~
    It's skin is like a salamander's, soft like skin and it's predominantly dark, navy-blue in color with a light, sand-like tan underbelly (the lower jaw is also this sand-color). The fins are bright cyan in color, with the bone-spikes dark navy like the majority of it's skin (The bone-spikes can be made bright read for a more vivid splash of color). The eyes are always a blazing, golden yellow. And GLOWING (although this is easier to see underwater or in the dark in general).

~BEHAVIOUR~
    A peaceful Filter-Feeder (Baleen Teeth), Tritanneaus is as docile as it is huge, and shows no fear or anxiety towards explorers so long as they're nice and quiet. Tritanneaus has sensitive hearing and will shy away from loud noises like explosions and roaring engines. All smaller creatures will generally shy away from Tritanneaus, making him a mobile "safe zone" for players.
    If you anger Tritanneaus (which requires really hurting it), it can generate powerful electric fields directly around it's body (the area of effect being much larger underwater), and can even concentrate electricity built-up in it's body into a devastating laser fired from the mouth. Of course, failing this, it could also just destroy with it's incredible bulk, smacking you with it's deceptively powerful arms, or swinging that huge tail at you.

~HABITAT~
    Tritanneaus is typically seen in deeper, darker waters, but you've got a good 10% chance to see it on land when it comes up to sunbathe. As it requires warmth, Tritanneaus avoid cold waters. It is amphibious, and while it can move (albeit sluggishly) on land, it is most at home in and around the water.

~BONUS INFORMATION~
    Tritanneaus is Big, Sturdy, and TOLERANT enough to let you walk and jump around on him. He can serve as a mobile platform!

ImaWario, iblob, Pavio and 1 other person like this.
  2. Vladplaya

Vladplaya Cosmic Narwhal

Giant monster that is not really a boss or even aggressive, very interesting concept indeed.

P.S. Red color text is a bit hard on the eyes.

3. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

He could TECHNICALLY be a boss if you were an especially cruel and evil person looking for that challenge. lol

4. Vladplaya

Vladplaya Cosmic Narwhal

So once you make him angry, is he gonna try to chance you down and kill you, or he doesn't actively pursue the player? Also how long does it take for him to calm down after been angry, if he does at all?

5. Motie

Motie Big Damn Hero

I like the idea of a peaceful behemoth, although players being the size of his small hand is kind of pushing it.

6. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

Tritanneaus is not a vengeful giant. If you make a show of running away from him he'll back off, and proceed in the opposite direction. He'll be incredibly angry towards all players until he regenerates his HP to full health, though. So one jerk can ruin it for the rest of us!

Size can be adjusted, but the player should definitely be no bigger than his little arm. He's kind of a big boy and he's supposed to be like a whale. Y'know... if whales were dragon-like. And had arms.

... and could shoot lightning.

7. jon218

jon218 Phantasmal Quasar

I think it would be cool in game. walking on a living island...:eek::up:
    cool drawing btw

8. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

Why sankyoh. It's old, but it's still one of the best monsters I've ever drawn and I'm quite attached to 'im.

9. Pandora

Pandora Existential Complex

I actually really like your concept! It'd be fun to have a temporary safe haven while you explore a planet. Do you think that attempts to communicate with this friendly giant could be made?

Also, reminds me of Doshin the Giant :D

10. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

It would be possible to at least attract it if it were nearby by playing some whalesong over a loudspeaker, since it is always keen to meet another member of it's species (they're not an abundant species since they don't have to be). It would, however, be kind of a simple beast, so if StarBound had the kind of options to let you speak with it, it would probably be very simple things like "I am hungry" or "Do not poke me again.".

11. Owl24

Owl24 Big Damn Hero

And "I had cookies, but i lost them."
    OT: Great sketch, great idea.

12. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

"You have cookies!? You give! You give NOW! You give or I make you crackle like stormy sky-lights!!!"

Nawww...

... maybe...

Small Lady Pandora likes this.
  13. Owl24

Owl24 Big Damn Hero

14. Joxalot

Joxalot Subatomic Cosmonaut

I don't see why, though.
    I actually really it being THAT huge! And he isn't aggressive at first.
    If the player happen to enrage it's because... Well, he/she wants to fight a thing with that side!

Wich I would want!
    Supported because great idea.

15. Joxalot

Joxalot Subatomic Cosmonaut

No hurt! No kill! Keep alive and next time good brings to you!

A Baranar' Star for the one that gets the reference.

16. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

Well needless to say, I'd prefer he stay really huge. I named him after the god of the seas for a reason...

17. Herowho

Herowho Pangalactic Porcupine

This, like many other entries, completely outclasses my monster. When people entered the monster contest, the majority of people would think to make a vicious creature, but you took a different approach and made a gentle giant! I would rather see this ingame instead of my Wheyel.

18. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

Why, sankyoh! It's more of a coincidence if anything. When I originally created him, he was a benevolent avatar of the sea-god for a group of primitive creatures who partook of his teachings. I originally created him in Spore. :V

19. ImaWario

ImaWario Void-Bound Voyager

This seems like a really awesome optional boss, and I think including something that isn't auto-aggressive is a fabulous idea. Well done. :up:

20. ImaWario

ImaWario Void-Bound Voyager

Look, I found something else that doesn't attack until you make it angry! shamelessselfpromotion

This person has some really awesome ideas! :D