1. Note: Nightly builds are not officially supported and things that appear broken might actually just be broken with no way of fixing it, but community members may still be willing to assist you with common problems.

Closed Toxic Waste item crashes game and corrupts save when picked up from chest

Discussion in 'Nightly Builds Support' started by Marcfyre, Dec 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcfyre

Marcfyre Phantasmal Quasar

Okay, so here was my character. In admin mode, with a Radiation suit tech, combing the surface of a Toxic Ocean planet for anything worth interest. After floating across some poison oceans in my boat, and cutting down a giant flower tree, I came across a Toxic Chest containing a Red/Hylotl rectangle shield and 5 units of an item dubbed "Toxic Waste." The item appeared to be a very low pixel version of the Toxic Waste back item. However, upon clicking the waste, my game crashed with an error similar to this:

(MaterialException) No such material id: 148

MaterialException::MaterialException(string)
    MaterialDatabase::getMaterialInfo(unsigned short)
    MaterialDatabase::isPlatformMaterial(unsigned short)
    MaterialItem::multiplaceEnabled()
    MaterialItem::canPlace(bool)
    ToolUser::innerSetupHumanoidHandItems(Humanoid, bool, World*, Vector<float, 2u>, Vector<float, 2u>, bool)
    ToolUser::setupHumanoidHandItems(Humanoid, World*, Vector<float, 2u>, Vector<float, 2u>, bool)
    Player::tickShared()
    Player::tickMaster()
    WorldClient::update()
    UniverseClient::update()
    ClientApplication::updateRunning()
    ClientApplication::update()
    StarApplicationBase::run()
    _SDL_main
    _console_main

Thinking it was just an issue on ChuckleFish's end, I didn't think it was worth reporting at the time and simply attempted to log back into my character. However, whenever you have an item in your hand and you disconnect, beam up, die, etc. then the game puts the said item into your inventory automatically. Since the item was corrupt, it seems to have made my player fire unplayable. It also puts this message in the log whenever I try to log in:

[13:59:01.394] Error: Exception caught in client main-loop: (MaterialException) No such material id: 148

Now, I know it's been stated that you need to be ready to say goodbye to and maybe even delete a player save, but I've gotten so far and reeeeeeealy don't want to. Is there anything I can do? And why didn't this "Item 148" not just become a Perfectly Generic Item upon being rendered?

2. Marcfyre

I also seem to have worsened the issue. I renamed the ".player.bak1" file by removing the ".bak1" part, assuming it was a backup. But NOW, I get THIS error when launching:
    (UuidException) Size mismatch in reading Uuid from ByteArray: 18 vs 16
    Uuid::Uuid(ByteArray)
    Uuid::Uuid(String)
    PlayerStorage::init()
    ClientApplication:: postSplashInitialization()
    ClientApplication::update()
    StarApplicationBase::run()
    _SDL_main
    _console_main

What do I do, and what are the .bak files for anyways?

3. Dunto

Dunto Guest

The .bak files are backups of your character. Essentially, you restored an older (incompatible) version of your character save.

If you kept your original character file, then you may be able to play when this problem is fixed (the causes of startup crashes seem to get fixed fairly quickly).

Edit: Also, if you feel comfortable doing so, you can mod in a missing item or overwrite a troublesome one. Then when it's fixed, just delete the mod.

4. Marcfyre

The original should be swimming around in my recycle bin somewhere, among the loads of other crap.
    Also, I sadly wouldn't know how to create a mod for an item.

5. Dunto

Dunto Guest

By this point there may have been a fix released for this issue. See if you're having the same problem on the latest Nightly build.

6. Doodliedie

Doodliedie Space Hobo

I have found the way you can fix it.Well it helped me.So you gotta be quick and put the toxic waste in your inventory fast but also that sucks cause you cant remove it then and you will also lose a slot in your inventory but atleast you will be able to play on that character! :D

EDIT: You can also shift click it in a random chest so you dont lose a inventory slot

7. SleepySquidd

SleepySquidd Tragically Magic Hands

If this is still an issue you can send me and message and I'll make a hotfix mod for it.

8. Mkgamer89

Mkgamer89 Space Hobo

I am also having this problem with the newest update so it has not been fixed. Is there any way to get my character back.

9. Mkgamer89

Mkgamer89 Space Hobo

I fixed my problem by trying to make a small mod that replaced item id: 148. The mod does not work but does load and that makes the game overwrite the item id: 148 and I can go on and put that item in a chest. I then can remove the mod and everything works normal again. I have attached the mod so anyone can use it.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.