The Sensorysquid

Discussion in 'Create-A-Hat' started by Ymedron, Nov 21, 2012.

1. [​IMG]
    Tired of bumping around in the dark? Scared of hidden enemies? Too lazy to aim?

Then try the SensorySquid! This helpful little pet wires itself straight to your brain (using painless but efficient Forehednom technology, exclusive to Roguetools.inc!), not only making light more effective in the darkness, but highlighting nearby walls and enemies, too!
    It uses its four arms to grasp tightly onto your shoulders, so even vigorous action won't knock it off! They aren't taking THIS buddy away from you that easy!
    All it asks of you is to provide it a steady supply of Battery Power when equipped, and it will be your friend from planet to planet! Buy one today!
    Disclaimer: We have been forced to suspend our line of SensorySquid pets, but we still have plenty of non-functional Squids for a reduced price!
    [​IMG]

Now available in a variety of colors, inspired by Tellus' favourite animal: THE CUTTLEFISH!

Edit 9001: Apparently hats are only cosmetic. :C Ignore everything.
    Edit: Used a screenshot to illustrate how the wall-highlight might work:
    [​IMG]
    Maybe when you have no light the wall-highlight expands as the squid focuses on its other senses than vision:
    [​IMG]
    edit2: Not sure if the eyes should glow in the dark, since that kinda makes it useless as a pvp sneaking tool.

I didn't have any very good ideas overnight, so I just went with the first one I had... Alas.

2. Pfft.
    Not very good ideas? This hat is pretty great!

Zeklo likes this.
  3. Moursi Fanshawe

Moursi Fanshawe Industrial Terraformer

4. Thanks - mainly I was thinking that a squid-like animal sitting on your head was pretty played out.
    That reminds me, should maybe illustrate what the highlighting looks like...

5. andySp

andySp Sandwich Man

This is awesome! Very creative.

Definitely the best one so far.

6. Moursi Fanshawe

Again, just awesome xD

I kinda like the idea of the eyes glowing. For me, the glowing shows that the hat is working it's magical highlighting powers :rainbow:

7. volchonokilli

volchonokilli Subatomic Cosmonaut

Strong idea! Good work!

8. Lazer

Lazer Existential Complex

Nice art. I'm always a fan of things that seem monstrous and horrible at first glance but are actually helpful and- when you get right down to it- cute.

9. Shooting Star

Shooting Star Existential Complex

Great I love it just like all the entries!

10. Thank you everyone :eek:!
    Hm, maybe the eyes should close/darken when you run out of battery power and it stops working? /hmm!
    Edit: Oh wait, purely aesthetic? /reads through the rules thread/ Can't see any mention of that in the first post...

11. Lazer

Lazer Existential Complex

Ymedron, I wouldn't worry about in-game mechanics and so forth. Your entry is very strong even without them. Original, memorable, great art, cool concept.

12. Im slightly worried that adding in mechanic-descriptions makes the entry ineligible for the competition. <:V

13. Moursi Fanshawe

I don't see it in the first post too :s Have you checked with the staff?

Lol, you think the eyes should darken? So the alien species runs on battery power?

Funnily enough, that would be damn cool :idea:

14. I found it on one of the pages, sadcakes.

And yes, I was imagining that it would derive its energy from battery power, though this would be due to them being genetically engineered rather than a natural species...!
    I was thinking of the eyes darkening as a visual cue that you have run out of battery power, since you would notice it very quickly in the darkness. Another idea was for the creature to squeak quietly, but that might be startling/give you away in pvp.

15. Bamseper

Bamseper Ketchup Robot

Awesome job :D Good luck.

16. RioNiss

RioNiss Title Not Found

Good job, Ymedron :) Good luck in contest, but remember, I'm want to win too :devil:

17. Thanks. Good luck to you too. I don't think anyone who entered wants to -lose-.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Forum Bot

very sexy hat love the art behind it too.

19. Passarbye

Passarbye Phantasmal Quasar

very cool hat idea!

20. (thanks folks)
    Now available in a variety of colors?